Getting an ATPL / IR

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Getting an ATPL / IR

Postby Skeeter » Sun Jan 8 2017, 19:05

Hi all,

any advise on the best / cost effective way to upgrade a CPL to an ATPL / IR these days?
I hold an basically bare CASA CPL and EASA ATPL / IR with S76 & AW139 TR.
A one stop shop would be preferred. I am still flying overseas and have to do it in my off time.

My first thought was a SIM.
Toll and Lifeflight do have 139 simulators, but from my experience those aren't always the cheapest solution. Especially the Level D.
I am still waiting for an answer though.

Cheers
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Getting an ATPL / IR

Postby havick » Mon Jan 9 2017, 02:24

My suggestion would be Kestrel aviation for the ATPL flight test in a long ranger. Rotorlift for the instrument rating test in a BK117 or AS355 if they still have it.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
muppet
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby muppet » Mon Jan 9 2017, 03:17

Havick, genuine question here. Can you actually do an ATPL in a single? Thought it would surely need to be in a twin?
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon Jan 9 2017, 04:07

Yep you can, its already been done a few times at Kestrel. I was at Kestrel in the aircraft for the first two ATPL flights tests since part 61 in a 412, but since then they have done more tests in the long ranger. The
Oogle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Oogle » Mon Jan 9 2017, 10:02

If done in a single then it will be a VFR ATPL.

The ATPL flight test can have an IPC incorporated and if successful, you will be granted the ATPL with IPC.

Before you start your ATPL, you must have completed an MCC course!
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Mon Jan 9 2017, 10:55

Oogle wrote:If done in a single then it will be a VFR ATPL.

Is that unless it's done in an IFR single?
kiwiflyer
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby kiwiflyer » Tue Jan 10 2017, 01:57

If a Vfr ATPL is done in a single, does it automatically change to a full IFR ATPL if the IPC is done in a multi?
Or is it another ATPL flight test in a multi IFR
PumaPom
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby PumaPom » Sun May 7 2017, 05:48

If you're one of the many CPL(H) holders trying to arrange an ATPL(H) Flight Test there are now a couple of options opening up to get it done. Having achieved it last year I can offer some advice and guidance on the current process, pre-reqs, likely testing standards and test profile.

The basic requirements are all in Part 61 Subpart K, though getting the MCC and finding an approved aircraft/sim with an approved operator/school can be tricky. Once that's all confirmed as acceptable to CASA you can arrange the test with an approved testing officer, which at present is likely only to be a CASA FOI/FTE.

Requirements vary slightly if you're converting another ICAO ATPL (Part 61-61.B.6) or if you're with one of the larger operators who may have an internal training process to upgrade pilots to ATPL (ie T&C system or via 61.040). I've also done the ICAO conversion route before and there are some efficiencies to be gained from doing the conversion of an ICAO ATPL rather than an upgrade of a CASA CPL. Ditto for converting an ICAO IR.

The CASA ATPL really is a standalone licence (just like a CPL) with options to do it VFR or add in IFR if you need/want. Regardless of whether you do the test in a single or multi you get an ATPL, with no single/multi restrictions. However, the VFR option allows you only to exercise VFR privileges. Doing an IFR test (or having a separate IR already) allows you to exercise your ATPL under IFR. (it's all in Part 61 K Privileges and Limitations)

PM me if you want detailed info and I'll try to fill in the blanks and provide a way forward....

Cheers

PP
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun May 7 2017, 17:08

Kestrel has a long ranger that has been used for the ATPL flight test as well as a B412 for an IPC (expensive option I know). They also have the paperwork in place to allow it to occur.

I think Beckers might also be able to do ATPL tests and perhaps PHS in YMMB.
Blade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Blade » Mon May 8 2017, 02:58

Beckers also do the MCC as it is a requirement prior to testing.
Has anyone done the ASL conversion exam yet?

Return to “Advanced Training”