NVFR - Recent Experience Required

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
wheatbix
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

NVFR - Recent Experience Required

Postby wheatbix » Sun Aug 10 2008, 09:45

I was hoping some of you more knowledgeable folk out there would be able to clarify something for me in regards to the recent experience required for PVT & AWK nvfr flight.

Re CAO 40.2.2 Appendix 1 Section 5.

I understand the fact that three takeoff & landings at night in the last 90 days are required if passengers are to carried, otherwise its 1 takeoff & landing at night in the last 6 months.

What is bugging me is the requirement for a flight of atleast one hour duration in the preceding year. If a pilot has undertaken a proficiency check that was less then one hour, does this satisfy / negate this requirement or does it still apply?

So setting a scenario, Blogs hasn't flown at night for over a year but has numerous takeoffs & landings by day in the last 90 days. Blogs then goes for a nvfr checkride with an appropriate nvfr instructor which is <1 hour. On the completion of that flight, is he then qualified / meet the minimum requirements to fly as PIC at night?

I assume no, meaning that to fly as PIC at night blogs must complete a checkride or > 1 hours duration, but if anyone could confirm this it would be much appreciated :D
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: NVFR - Recent Experience Required

Postby hand in pants » Sun Aug 10 2008, 10:20

Good onya Wheaties, A large can of worms opened...................

Lots of differing opinions and most will be right.
For what it's worth, if I'm doing a night flight, I make sure I've done a flight of at least 1 hour in the last year, and 3 take offs and landings in the last 90 days (covers the 1 take off and landing in the last 6 months). Then there are no arguements with anybody.
Biggest thing for me is to do the flight under NVFR. Not close to it, but definately NVFR, no chance of inadvertent IMC or loss of visual ques.

To answer your question, no bloggs will get himself in the poop for not covering the 1 hour in the last 1 year, exactly as you assumed.

For my money, NVFR needs cleaning up (made safer). There should be a BFR (Night) requirement or something along those lines. It should also include some kind of basic IF procedures revision as well.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
wheatbix
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby wheatbix » Sun Aug 10 2008, 10:33

thanks for the reply HIP.

Its amazing the number of people who fly at night in marginal weather at best with few escape routes. Its interesting because CASA really want it taught as a P-IFR rating (as i'm sure you're aware) in terms of the competency they like to see on instruments, which I think can often "lull" people in to a false sense of security (thinking that they can fly from sydney to parkes on the blackest of nights and live to tell the tale).

TBH I'm surprised they don't make 3 takeoffs and landings in the last 90 days a requirement irrespective of the carriage of passengers. I remember a little while ago flying at night (dual) after not having flown under the nvfr for quite sometime and how uncomfortable it can be (even in a well lit environment).
bol-kowboy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bol-kowboy » Sun Aug 10 2008, 14:30

I think you will find you have done an instructional flight even if less than 1 hour will make you current for your NVFR.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sun Aug 10 2008, 19:26

b-k,
The 1 hour flight within the last 12 months still stands, regardless of weather you have flown with an instructor or not. It is a definate requirement in the CAO.
You can fly every night of the year for fifty minutes each flight and you still need to comply with the 1 hour in the last 12 months.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!

Return to “Advanced Training”