ATPL study material

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

ATPL study material

Postby VBlade » Tue Jan 29 2019, 09:12

About to start ATPL theory and wondering what everyone has been using. AFT? , OAT?

Would be great to hear anyones recent experiences.

Thanks in advance.
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: ATPL study material

Postby RePLCPLH » Tue Jan 29 2019, 09:38

AFT
Rolland
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Rolland » Tue Jan 29 2019, 19:07

I used AFT self studied every subject and passed first time each subject. Heaps of good online tutorials as well on YouTube for systems section, makes it easier to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FceXdeoOVWo
homersimpson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby homersimpson » Tue Jan 29 2019, 20:05

Rolland how much time did you put into it? I want to do it as well but not sure how to fit it into work/family time.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Tue Jan 29 2019, 22:55

AFT don’t seem to be keeping up with the new pexo exams at CASA.

AFT theory notes will require additional material in order to get a full understanding to pass.

Good luck
Rolland
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Rolland » Wed Jan 30 2019, 03:51

homersimpson wrote:Rolland how much time did you put into it? I want to do it as well but not sure how to fit it into work/family time.

I wasnt in a rush did it over a 12 month period probably spent a good 4-5 weeks on each subject, roughly, and had time off after each subject. I only did it last year so i was happy with AFT, didnt need to source anything else except some YouTube videos to see actual systems etc in use, (dont have a 737 handy to go over).
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Wed Jan 30 2019, 04:46

Cheers for the replies.

I thought that may be the case with the AFT material but as OAT doesnt seem to be keeing up with everything its the only option.

Also, is everyone using the same for for IREX also?

Thanks again.
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Wed Jan 30 2019, 05:57

What’s the Prerequisite for doing the ATPL subjects ?
My fix wing mates said to do them as soon as I did my CPL while a lot of the basics are fresh. But it’s not like I can get the license till I’m at 1500hr yea ?
Rolland
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Rolland » Wed Jan 30 2019, 06:56

jimiemick wrote:What’s the Prerequisite for doing the ATPL subjects ?
My fix wing mates said to do them as soon as I did my CPL while a lot of the basics are fresh. But it’s not like I can get the license till I’m at 1500hr yea ?

The only prerequisite is to have completed CPL subjects, I did mine 14 years after completing my CPL subjects lol, so yeah having it fresh would help but certainly not essential. Once completed you get a theory credit towards your ATPL obviously yes then the flying requirements need to be ticked.
RePLCPLH
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby RePLCPLH » Sat Feb 2 2019, 23:38

VBlade wrote:Also, is everyone using the same for for IREX also?

The IREX is common to helos and fixed-wing so it uses a fixed-wing for all the scenarios. I'm using Bob Tait as that's what the majority of guys getting through that I've spoken to are using. He also does an intensive course at Redcliffe several times a year if you don't want to self-study.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Sun Feb 3 2019, 03:07

Rolland wrote:
jimiemick wrote:What’s the Prerequisite for doing the ATPL subjects ?

The only prerequisite is to have completed CPL subjects, I did mine 14 years after completing my CPL subjects lol, so yeah having it fresh would help but certainly not essential. Once completed you get a theory credit towards your ATPL obviously yes then the flying requirements need to be ticked.

Don't forget the MCC course and flight test.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sun Feb 3 2019, 04:03

Thanks to our friends at CASA the ATPL(H) is now a very difficult qualification to obtain.

I did the AFT course around 9 years ago where I studied the harder 3 subjects at AFT full time and the easier subjects via distance education. Made life much easier. People far smarter than me did self study for all of them but that wasn’t something I wanted to pursue. Generally pass rates for full time attendance is pretty good.
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigglesbutler » Sun Feb 3 2019, 05:05

FerrariFlyer wrote: People far smarter than me did self study for all of them but that wasn’t something I wanted to pursue. Generally pass rates for full time attendance is pretty good.

I wouldn't say smarter, in my case dumber. I was mad enough to study the AFT notes alone in the UK at night then operate JAR during the day, it was 9 months of pain especially as my most common question was "but WHY??". I then came to Perth to have a few ground school sessions at Heliwest before sitting the exams, the in person stuff was invaluable to fix any errors in my understanding.

I would honestly suggest AFT and if at all possible go to them and do it in person. Alternatively find a local school to help with questions.

Good luck with whichever route you choose.

Si
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Sun Feb 3 2019, 07:40

Thanks for all the replies, plenty to think about.
Sounds like the plan to do IREX with tait and ATPL with AFT self study, If I get stuck with anything Ill check out the full time option.

Cheers
Rolland
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Rolland » Sun Feb 3 2019, 10:16

VBlade wrote:Thanks for all the replies, plenty to think about.
Sounds like the plan to do IREX with tait and ATPL with AFT self study, If I get stuck with anything Ill check out the full time option.

Cheers

Make sure to do IREX first, sets you up well for ATPL flight planning, Nav & Air Law.
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Mon Feb 4 2019, 11:00

Cheers for the heads up!
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Mon Feb 4 2019, 12:28

Rolland wrote:

Cheers

Make sure to do IREX first, sets you up well for ATPL flight planning, Nav & Air Law.

I also find ironing your private parts and running head first really fast at solid objects sets you up well for sitting the ATPL exams. Worse is reading the regulators reasoning for the abject incompetence in making some of them relevant to helicopters as opposed to being based on an aeroplane that is no longer operated in Australia.
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Tue Feb 5 2019, 07:30

Rolland wrote:I also find ironing your private parts and running head first really fast at solid objects sets you up well for sitting the ATPL exams. Worse is reading the regulators reasoning for the abject incompetence in making some of them relevant to helicopters as opposed to being based on an aeroplane that is no longer operated in Australia.

:lol: Too funny! The day they actually update and create actual rotary wing specific exams I will be retired.
Rolland
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Rolland » Tue Feb 5 2019, 23:38

Evil Twin wrote:
Rolland wrote:

Cheers

I also find ironing your private parts and running head first really fast at solid objects sets you up well for sitting the ATPL exams. Worse is reading the regulators reasoning for the abject incompetence in making some of them relevant to helicopters as opposed to being based on an aeroplane that is no longer operated in Australia.

Yep pretty much the same approach one takes to having any constructive mature conversation on any pilot related forum :wink:

Return to “Advanced Training”