Squirrel Training Sunshine Coast

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
Ghost Air

Squirrel Training Sunshine Coast

Postby Ghost Air » Wed Sep 18 2019, 00:50

Ghost Air operates on the Sunshine Coast under the AOC of BlueTongue Helicopters. We are slowly building in the SE Qld area and have 3 x Gd 1 Instructors flying on an ad-hoc basis. We will soon commence Squirrel training courses or "endorsements' in pre-Part 61 speak. Our AS350-D model squirrel is fresh out of 600hrly/24 monthly maintenance. Standard competency based training will also include a ground course component over a combined 1.5-2 day period. Aircraft cost $1800/hr + GST. As an additional bonus, receive all theory for free which will include a 2-3 hour Electronic Flight Bag training course at no extra cost.

PM or email: info at ghost air dot com dot au.
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Squirrel Training Sunshine Coast

Postby Evil Twin » Wed Sep 18 2019, 05:12

Probably ought to be paying for an advert really!
Rotorpilot
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Rotorpilot » Thu Sep 19 2019, 10:54

Evil Twin wrote:Probably ought to be paying for an advert really!

or could post on here to the target market for no cost?

cheers for posting wish I was in the market for an endorsement. I'd jump at the chance at a fair rate like that.... pop;
Dem winds are gonna blow
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Sep 19 2019, 13:39

Those Squirrel rates were what was charged back in around the mid 2000’s.
And people wonder why the industry is In a state.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
av8r
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby av8r » Thu Sep 19 2019, 14:14

Twistgrip wrote:That Squirrel rate is what was charged back in 2006.

Keep in mind that $1800 in 2006 is worth almost $2400 in today’s money, thanks to inflation
Wooduck
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Wooduck » Thu Sep 19 2019, 22:45

$1800 is cheap, Good Luck, Nice Machine
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Fri Sep 20 2019, 08:24

Pay peanuts ......
Ghost Air

Postby Ghost Air » Tue Oct 1 2019, 20:26

Thanks to all those who have enquired so far, we will continue this offer until the new year. Competitive rate yes, bare in mind this is a D-model Squirrel and hence the hourly rate is not that of a B2/B3. Less power than other squirrels makes it perfect to learn the machine before jumping into something with bigger margins though. :)
dole time
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby dole time » Sun Dec 1 2019, 06:49

Hi all, I did my squirrel "endorsement" with ghost air some time ago so I can offer some feedback.

The machine is a as350D lycoming 600, It presents very well and was clean each time I was there. It has Air con, cabin fans, nvfr stuff, vertical reference window, (no hook), the pushbutton switches have been changed out for toggle switches. And it uses the Inboard seat setup as required for dual control operation. It is the FFC lever style of "throttle" rather than the twistgrip.
The aircraft flew smoothly and had no abnormal temperatures or lights, grease/oil blowby, or apparent maintenance issues in the time I was there. While this was my first time pointing an as350, I have worked in and around a several examples, which was my basis for comparison.
A bose A20 was provided.

I found Sunshine coast airport to be a very good base for training as we were able to do circuits, confines, and low level, all in the vicinity (less than a few minutes cruise) of the airport, without wasting time on straight and level. eg the 100km round trip from ysbk to nattai :roll: . I cant stress enough how refreshing all this was as I feel I have a lot of wasted time in my logbook from schools/instructors that just didn't give a s#!t about actually training. Clearances for getting in and out and repositioning were all pretty much without delay also.

The theory component I found to be very thorough and well set out. we spent a good portion of day 1 going through numbers, manual extracts, slideshows. This was done in a little air conditioned office/classroom in the corner of the blue sky hangar.
The lesson plans were well structured, briefed, and with a clear and concise point to use the time efficiently. There were no frustrating "what do you want to do today" moments that cpl students are familiar with; tasks were set out to be done and we did them without stuffing around.. We spent a good amount of time on the walkaround and going through the things various ADs

Overall I found it to be good value for money. I didnt feel at all that i was being milked or rushed or that i was with someone just trying to get 350 time up or keep the accounts turning over, as I have felt all those before elsewhere. I found the instructor to be very experienced and knowledgeable on the aircraft and other of its type. I would definitely recommend this for anyone looking to get the rating.
Just waiting for dole time.

Return to “Advanced Training”