Instrument time - sim or heli

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Scotsman

Instrument time - sim or heli

Postby Scotsman » Thu Sep 3 2015, 22:19

Morning, I am trying to do a licence conversion from a SA HPPL to the Aussie version. CASA have required that I need to do an hour of instrument training (despite it definitely not being in the Part 61 SA syllabus and seemingly not here either).

In the interest of jumping through the required hoops is there anyone that can direct me to either a heli sim in Sydney where I can do this or someone with an instrument instructor rating and instrument aircraft?

Much appreciated in advance
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Instrument time - sim or heli

Postby ChicoCheco » Thu Sep 3 2015, 22:59

Yeah, had look at 61-4a for you.
It does say TOTAL dual instrument all categories 2hrs min for heli PPL.
Do you have an hour 'elsewhere'?

Yeah, welcome to Australia. Take it or get out and forget life in Oz as crew if you refuse to put up with silly/non-CS/customer un-friendly stuff.

Apparently, the 'current' system allows for CAR 5 licence requirements for existing Aus schools, so assume flight test and training course as per pre-Part 61 syllabus/minima.
Doesn't sound so as they told you. Transition for existing schools and meeting CAR 5 ain't seem to be of use for converting.

It's good you mention this, some may get caught out, remembering 'old' system licence requirements and thinking it's all good for converting.

I haven't looked at the regs, but if CASA people got back saying heli sim is OK, go for it. It's basically the very very basics to do 180 deg turn at standard rate and climb keeping airspeed or what, haven't read MOS for this gem. Most countries would have 3 or 5hrs basic instrument as part of PPL, so normally not issue. Bet you'd have it done while training if planning this or knowing ahead..

I'd say ask them if NVFR machine is OK, as that'd have enough instruments in Australia for basic instrument flight and probably at least one navaid 'clock'/GPS.

Nearest would be Bankstown with few schools there. I'm not local there so others may give pointers further afield. I don't know if the HeliSim gear is 'approved' by CASA as BITD/ATD even.
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Sun Sep 6 2015, 02:03

I'm pretty sure what they require is "Simulated Instrument" training, meaning you hop in a heli with an AH, Turn and Slip indicator, IVSI (or maybe just a VSI), altimeter and functioning compass (maybe a DI as well..it's been a while) and put on a hood or "foggles" and your instructor (any old one) teaches you how to recover from unusual attitudes...during the day.

Pretty sure this training is supposed to scare you into not getting yourself into IMC.

Anybody who is an instructor on here will be able to tell you the answer...or better still...call up a local training school and ask them. A public forum like this can lead to long winded and generally useless answers as found above.

Banger.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Sep 6 2015, 04:25

You can do it in an approved FTSD (Beckers (QLD), Heliwest (WA Base), Kestrel (VIC) - come to mind) or in any aircraft that has the basic instruments to teach U/A's etc using foggles or a screen in the window. Most newer Hughes 300's or R44's (even some R22's) that are fitted with 6 pack are suitable. The instructor should have NVFR or Instrument training under their instructor column on their license and the school should be appropriately licensed to teach the syllabus.

It shouldn't really cost you all that much. A pain in the bum, but the Part61 system is what it is.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby heli2o » Sun Sep 6 2015, 11:34

Scotsman - PM sent
Scotsman

Postby Scotsman » Sun Sep 6 2015, 23:27

Thanks for all the response guys, much appreciated. CASA are happy with simulated instrument time but I would rather get more flight experience and do the time in a NVFR machine. It seems like the heliscenic guys can help me out as they have NVFR 22 and 44s.

Chico - In terms of the requirements on the form CASA sent me it says two hours total time instrument with at least one heli instrument hour so because I have a fixed with licence with fixed wing instrument time I think I only need one heli hour instrument. Hope that. I have interpreted it correctly.

Thanks for your responses much appreciated.

James

Return to “On the Job”