Pilot shortage. The Australian Thursday Dec 28

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Pilot shortage. The Australian Thursday Dec 28

Postby SuperF » Sun Jan 21 2018, 19:50

Canada v USA hockey series coming to NZ. Does that count? I just hope that the hospitality part of the game is as good as it was when i watched hockey in NYC and Vancouver.

re the kiwis going and working for nothing until their permit arrives, thats nothing, they will work for nothing in NZ until you decide that you should pay them something... Some operators even manage to get them to pay for the privilege of being there.... :roll:
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Mon Jan 22 2018, 09:06

Days of our life, Home and Away, Beverley Hills 90210, Desperate House Wife’s (Wisteria Lane) yeah baby! Neighbours, Sons and Daughters, Kings and Queens, Kingswood Country, The Sullivan’s .. who needs TV?
This $hit is pure gold Logie material at its best.
GF is entertained!
Thanks pop;
There is always an option.
Probbo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Probbo » Mon Jan 22 2018, 09:40

Geez Godfather, your showing your age with those references. I’m pretty sure Kingswood country was a comedy not a drama :lol:
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Mon Jan 22 2018, 10:45

Yeah mate.
Not wrong there...
I think the responses have shown to be both comical and dramatic.
This industry seams to bring it alll out.
Including sword fights behind computers...
It’s a shame as history has shown Canada, NZ, USA, PNG ect. and our Aussie diggers all played a part many moons ago to stand side by side and contribute to the lovely world we get to live in now. (Some even payed the ultimate price)
Shame it seams that some egos get in the way and forget that bond.
Life is too short.
GF is done here.
Cheers!
There is always an option.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Jan 22 2018, 23:22

So short of pilots they are continuing to pay for RW flyers to covert over:

https://www.envoyair.com/2018/01/11/inf ... -industry/

And if you have experience already perhaps a $45K sign on bonus will entice more people over:

https://www.envoyair.com/2018/01/09/env ... ed-pilots/
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon Jan 22 2018, 23:44

FerrariFlyer wrote:So short of pilots they are continuing to pay for RW flyers to covert over:

https://www.envoyair.com/2018/01/11/inf ... -industry/

And if you have experience already perhaps a $45K sign on bonus will entice more people over:

https://www.envoyair.com/2018/01/09/env ... ed-pilots/

Unfortunately there’s only a handful of regionals in the US taking on E3 visa applicants, Envoy isn’t one of them or I’d be rich off the referral bonuses alone.

The RTP courses at Envoy are offering to helo pilots are only for ex us military helo pilots, they did let about 5-10 civil helo pilots in but AA mainline or the union put the kybosh on that.

Skywest, Piedmont, transstates, Compass are the regionals i know for sure are taking E3 visa Aussies if you meet the ATP fixed minimum experience requirements.

Slight thread drift.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
nuthin
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nuthin » Sun Feb 4 2018, 19:10

I use to work as an instructor at Chinook. They are generally the first set of doors any foreigner walks through on their Canadian experience gathering mission.
Plumber is correct on all accounts. I saw what the talent was like coming to Canada. I did a bunch of license conversions. I also trained ab initio Canadians and felt sick that some of those kids could not get work. The numbers are the same anywhere in the world I guess but really Canadian pilots should have first dibs in their own country as should Aussies.
If it can be proven the cost is too high to provide training or the talent is not there then so be it. Hire foreigners. But that has been abused.
It does seem foreigners are providing a better work ethic but once again thats a thin line between work ethic and working for nothing.
A big problem is Canada is everyone wants to live down south. A few years in the north is all most pilots or WAGs will tolerate and the money is no better than a southern job anyway. Foreign pilots make it so easy for Canadian operators that it is hard for them to resist. Many CPs have stories of getting f__kd over by Canadians for a $5 an hour raise across the runway.
Most foreigners in Canada now are here on the working holiday visa which they quickly swap for a PR card when the visa runs out.

That working holiday visa was intended for butt stuffers at Whistler or bar tenders in Banff so its totally being abused. But its been like that for 5 years or more. Its been 9.5 years since the skilled worker shortlist included helicopter pilots. Thats when I came over to Canada. Oh yeah Im a Kiwi BTW.

Not sure what the situation is in Oz but when I get some medium time maybe I will take a look. I think its a different situation though like plumber says. Light and int. market in Canada is swamped with pilots and gear. Medium also really. Medium market in Oz does not seem swamped in pilots or gear.

Its dog eat dog wherever you work in the world these days. Plan accordingly. I never thought I would use my NZ license again when I settled in Canada but the Kiwi license does get dusted off every few years now.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Feb 5 2018, 01:30

Hopefully the tide has turned a little in the medium/off-shore market.

Indicators include:

Several companies advertising for AW139 drivers.
Some pilots being employed and given S92 endorsements.
(Indicates already endorsed pilots are not available.)

Some experienced RW guys are pursuing the conversion to airlines. This will have a positive effect on the supply/demand situation for Helicopter Pilots.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Mon Feb 5 2018, 21:53

Piggy, don't forget all those retiring Vietnam pilots.................................
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Mon Feb 5 2018, 22:50

hand in pants wrote:Piggy, don't forget all those retiring Vietnam pilots.................................

Very few helicopter pilots seem to actually retire voluntarily.

A rose colored glasses view would have it that we love flying so much.

I think it’s often the financial reality of this industry.

Personally, my accountant has mapped out my financially viable retirement plan: it involves working up to lunch time on the day of my funeral.
bob
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bob » Tue Feb 6 2018, 03:47

Just found my signature.
flyhuey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyhuey » Tue Feb 6 2018, 06:14

Hand In Pants wrote:
don't forget all those retiring Vietnam pilots.................................

When they are all retired or laid to rest, then you will have to find someone else to blame for your shortcomings, Hand In Pants.
Don't forget to thank a Veteran for his service.
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Tue Feb 6 2018, 06:56

flyhuey wrote:Hand In Pants wrote:
don't forget all those retiring Vietnam pilots.................................

When they are all retired or laid to rest, then you will have to find someone else to blame for your shortcomings, Hand In Pants.
Don't forget to thank a Veteran for his service.

Flyhuey,

The Vietnam statement is a standing joke in the industry. It’s up there with “when the Chinese market opens up there will be jobs for everyone”.
I’m also pretty sure HIP is a vet as am I but I don’t expect anyone to thank me for anything.

Have a great day and don’t let all that hate you have for us Aussie pilots destroy you more than it is already.
flyhuey
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flyhuey » Tue Feb 6 2018, 07:32

It is a tired joke and never was all that funny.

You may not expect thanks, nor do I, but it sure is nice when someone simply recognises or says, "Thank you, for your service."

Why perpetuate the disrespect?
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby zzodr » Tue Feb 6 2018, 08:55

:roll:
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Tue Feb 6 2018, 09:57

flyhuey wrote:It is a tired joke and never was all that funny.

You may not expect thanks, nor do I, but it sure is nice when someone simply recognises or says, "Thank you, for your service."

Grandpa Simpson is on the loose again. Maybe one day when I’m over 60 & unemployed I will have earned the right to be offended at everything.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Practice
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Practice » Tue Feb 6 2018, 11:32

flyhuey wrote:It is a tired joke and never was all that funny.

Oh FFS. )c/

It's not literally a joke and Mag Seal never suggested it was. The myth perpetuated by a thousand flying schools over the years that 'there'll be plenty of jobs once all the Vietnam era pilots retire in the near future' is the joke. Geddit???

What is it with seppos and sarcasm? Can't you see it? HIP was being sarcastic. There was no disrespect there. You've invented something out nothing.
wotyaup2
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby wotyaup2 » Thu Feb 8 2018, 04:49

SuperF wrote:Canada v USA hockey series coming to NZ. Does that count? I just hope that the hospitality part of the game is as good as it was when i watched hockey in NYC and Vancouver.

re the kiwis going and working for nothing until their permit arrives, thats nothing, they will work for nothing in NZ until you decide that you should pay them something... Some operators even manage to get them to pay for the privilege of being there.... :roll:

Sad to say that often happens here in Aus too, well in a lot of countries to be honest, but we can't let the few bad ones to tar the rest of the decent operators with the same brush. pop;
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Fri Feb 9 2018, 08:28

Sadly it seems the legend that is "flewhuey" and I don't agree on many things.

And I'm devastated.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Feb 9 2018, 12:08

And I'm devastated.

I can just see you saying that over a long black Pants.

You best stick your head in an oven but before you do, lets catch up soon.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"

Return to “On the Job”