Pilot shortage. The Australian Thursday Dec 28

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Pilot shortage. The Australian Thursday Dec 28

Postby plumber » Fri Jan 19 2018, 16:30

NZHelo wrote:
plumber wrote:
skypig wrote:

Yes, hilarious.
See someone come from overseas, potentially from an area with much lower living costs, work for less and make some Aussie who has invested a huge sum of money and half their life in their Career unemployed.
Doesn’t get any funnier.

Kinda my point. You guys and gals from Oz and New Zealand have driven the Canadian market into the ground. Enjoy the Karma.

BS
When I was there I worked in places most Canadians did not want to work.
I got no negativity or feelings of animosity from the locals for me being a foreign pilot.
I am sure if the local had 1500 hours then there wouldn't be an issue (most "decent" contracts require said amount)
Just filling the void.
I believe it is harder to get visas into Canada now.
That being said,If it wasn't for OZ/NZ pilots ability to work overseas then there would be a hell of a lot of Bell Mediums being flown by foreigners during the Australian summer.
Progression (to mediums/twins) isn't really a well accepted word by a majority of operators in the Australian industry........

Not BS at all. The reason some companies would hire you guys is you would work for less and longer than most Canadian pilots would.(Don't forget we have to live here after you leave) Also saw a guy from NZ work in the hangar for free till his TFW permit came in. Both he and the company broke the law. Then work for free (Company made them) on their 5 days off to refresh their duty days. So I've seen a ton of abuse from Aussies and Kiwis. Fact!
Last edited by plumber on Fri Jan 19 2018, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Fri Jan 19 2018, 16:36

[quote="NZHelo"]Au contraire
There’s more than one helicopter company in Canada.
I wasn’t living in a fort and I got paid very well without having to prostitute myself.
I wasn’t chasing turbine time.
The nationals I worked alongside worked generally for a month then went home and only really did 42s during a busy fire season. Most enjoyed working where I was and for the record I’d say that the majority of “foreign” workers were from Europe and had in fact migrated!!!
I could go on about my wonderful experience flying in many parts of canada but now isn’t the time nor place, I will save that for other topics or replies that require triggering.
Don’t mix your sour grapes with my imported apples.
Au revoir[/quote
Your imported apples end up in the same pile once digested. Don't believe everything you think.
Mallard
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mallard » Sat Jan 20 2018, 03:56

plumber wrote:... Don't forget we have to live here after you leave

It costs more to live in Australia than it does in Canada. Last time I checked the least affordable city to live in in Canada was more affordable than any of the Australian cities!

There is just bugger all opportunities to get some sling experience here and progress... even then its a long and slow battle to what would be considered a medium to low paying job in the city.

We are all getting screwed by our respective governments.
Firefish
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Firefish » Sat Jan 20 2018, 10:19

plumber wrote:
NZHelo wrote:Au contraire
I wasn’t living in a fort and I got paid very well without having to prostitute myself.
The nationals I worked alongside worked generally for a month then went home and only really did 42s during a busy fire season. Most enjoyed working where I was and for the record I’d say that the majority of “foreign” workers were from Europe and had in fact migrated!!!
I could go on about my wonderful experience flying in many parts of canada but now isn’t the time nor place, I will save that for other topics or replies that require triggering.
Au revoir[/quote
Your imported apples end up in the same pile once digested. Don't believe everything you think.

Interesting your having a sook about Aussies and Kiwis in Canada. What about CHC, Coulson, Wildcat, Valhalla and Great Slave all operating in Australia?
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Jan 20 2018, 11:21

Firefish wrote:
plumber wrote:
NZHelo wrote:Au contraire
Au revoir[/quote

Interesting your having a sook about Aussies and Kiwis in Canada. What about CHC, Coulson, Wildcat, Valhalla and Great Slave all operating in Australia?

But that’s different... :roll: Oc:=
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Sat Jan 20 2018, 11:48

FerrariFlyer wrote:
Firefish wrote:
plumber wrote:

But that’s different... :roll: Oc:=

Yeah huge difference. They don't work for next to nothing and they show up endorsed on the machines they are flying. With no pencil whipping of time in the air or on a line. They are actually needed due to the fact you guys don't have a large medium and heavy fleet.Tell me how many Canadians are in Oz flying 44's and jet rangers? Give your head a shake.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Jan 20 2018, 11:57

plumber wrote: They are actually needed due to the fact you guys don't have a large medium and heavy fleet.Tell me how many Canadians are in Oz flying 44's and jet rangers? Give your head a shake.

I refer back to my earlier comments about fulfilling a need.

Pilots go to Canada (like they do to numerous countries around the world) to fulfil a void where experience is needed much the same way operators bring in machinery that a particular country doesn’t have for whatever reason. You can’t have it both ways plumber where only Canadians fly in Canada but you’re happy for your fellow industry peers to export their skills and machinery elsewhere around the world.

I’d also suggest that your comments are grossly generalised and not typically accurate.
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Sat Jan 20 2018, 12:22

FerrariFlyer wrote:
plumber wrote: They are actually needed due to the fact you guys don't have a large medium and heavy fleet.Tell me how many Canadians are in Oz flying 44's and jet rangers? Give your head a shake.

I refer back to my earlier comments about fulfilling a need.

Pilots go to Canada (like they do to numerous countries around the world) to fulfil a void where experience is needed much the same way operators bring in machinery that a particular country doesn’t have for whatever reason. You can’t have it both ways plumber where only Canadians fly in Canada but you’re happy for your fellow industry peers to export their skills and machinery elsewhere around the world.

I’d also suggest that your comments are grossly generalised and not typically accurate.

Yes we need pencil whipped logbooks with no long line and turbine experience. As for not being typically accurate I've seen it dozens of times, so just basing my statements on facts. We have plenty of our own pilots with no turbine or long line experience. Do you have plenty of medium and heavy pilots? I'm sure if you did they would not be out of work.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Jan 20 2018, 12:35

I refer you to my spokesman, the one and only:

https://youtu.be/238kiM8AOLs
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Sat Jan 20 2018, 12:44

Maybe I did just dream everything I witnessed in the last 15 years. Hmmm never thought of it that way. :roll:
Firefish
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Firefish » Sat Jan 20 2018, 21:11

plumber wrote:Maybe I did just dream everything I witnessed in the last 15 years. Hmmm never thought of it that way. :roll:

So how would you feel if Australian companies came to Canada and flooded the market with lights the way you guys do here with mediums.
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Sat Jan 20 2018, 22:03

Firefish wrote:
plumber wrote:Maybe I did just dream everything I witnessed in the last 15 years. Hmmm never thought of it that way. :roll:

So how would you feel if Australian companies came to Canada and flooded the market with lights the way you guys do here with mediums.

Are you really that simple? There is no shortage of lights in Canada or anywhere in the world. But apparently there is a shortage of mediums and heavies in Oz (With very few Oz drivers qualified to drive them). I'm sure if Oz Companies would splash out the money and get said mediums there would be no need for Foreign companies.

Now getting back to the original argument. You guys are whining about foreign workers coming in and stealing your jobs when you have been doing it for years. Also you guys come to Canada with the ink still wet on your licence saying you have thousands of hours yet couldn't fly a sharp stick up a dead dogs arse and take jobs from low hour Canadians. (I've seen it dumb dumb) I'm just laughing at the irony of the old shoe on the other foot and how some of you simpletons can't see it.

Any way I'm going to apply for a permit to come to Australia because I actually have 5000+ hours with precision LL experience and I'm sick of -40 winters. I think I'll just show up and work for free until said permit comes through and see how you like it. Mate! Any companies looking for a quality pilot with real not pencil whipped can PM me. Remember all i ask is room and board and free beer. (You might want to just pay me ) I love beer.
Firefish
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Firefish » Sun Jan 21 2018, 00:45

plumber wrote:
Firefish wrote:

Are you really that simple? There is no shortage of lights in Canada or anywhere in the world. But apparently there is a shortage of mediums and heavies in Oz (With very few Oz drivers qualified to drive them). I'm sure if Oz Companies would splash out the money and get said mediums there would be no need for Foreign companies.

Now getting back to the original argument. You guys are whining about foreign workers coming in and stealing your jobs when you have been doing it for years. Also you guys come to Canada with the ink still wet on your licence saying you have thousands of hours yet couldn't fly a sharp stick up a dead dogs arse and take jobs from low hour Canadians. (I've seen it dumb dumb) I'm just laughing at the irony of the old shoe on the other foot and how some of you simpletons can't see it.

Any way I'm going to apply for a permit to come to Australia because I actually have 5000+ hours with precision LL experience and I'm sick of -40 winters. I think I'll just show up and work for free until said permit comes through and see how you like it. Mate! Any companies looking for a quality pilot with real not pencil whipped can PM me. Remember all i ask is room and board and free beer. (You might want to just pay me ) I love beer.

And Aussie companies might actually invest in Mediums if they didn't have to compete with cheap imports.
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Sun Jan 21 2018, 01:03

Firefish wrote:
plumber wrote:
Firefish wrote:

And Aussie companies might actually invest in Mediums if they didn't have to compete with cheap imports.

Haha and once again the irony. A Canadian pilot might get his or her start without the cheap imports. Your lack of real knowledge of the industry is shining through.
Firefish
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Firefish » Sun Jan 21 2018, 03:30

plumber wrote:
Firefish wrote:
plumber wrote:

Any way I'm going to apply for a permit to come to Australia because I actually have 5000+ hours with precision LL experience and I'm sick of -40 winters. I think I'll just show up and work for free until said permit comes through and see how you like it. Mate! Any companies looking for a quality pilot with real not pencil whipped can PM me. Remember all i ask is room and board and free beer. (You might want to just pay me ) I love beer

Haha and once again the irony. A Canadian pilot might get his or her start without the cheap imports. Your lack of real knowledge of the industry is shining through.

What's ironic is that Canadian operators are screwing Canadian pilots and you want to blame Aussies and Kiwis. Whereas I blame our government for allowing foreign companies to compete wth local operators for our contracts. If there was more progression in this country into mediums that would open up roles in the lights. Maybe then not as many guys wouldn't need to head overseas to get experience. Too simple for you?
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Sun Jan 21 2018, 07:50

Ask any of those Canadians "stealing" your job what they are getting paid and their tours. I bet not one is undercutting an Aussie or working over their duty days to be there. Huge contrast to the other way around. I even typed slow so you'd get it. Sadly I don't think slow enough.
Firefish
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Firefish » Sun Jan 21 2018, 08:07

plumber wrote:Ask any of those Canadians "stealing" your job what they are getting paid and their tours. I bet not one is undercutting an Aussie or working over their duty days to be there. Huge contrast to the other way around. I even typed slow so you'd get it. Sadly I don't think slow enough.

Hahaha, no ones stealing my job mate. I'm sitting at home on time off having a beer and watching the cricket in our beautiful summer weather. Then I'll go back to work flying what I want, where I want, for how much I want for a great Aussie company. But hey! Don't let your tears freeze in those -40 temps. Lol.
NZHelo
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby NZHelo » Sun Jan 21 2018, 11:19

plumber wrote:
NZHelo wrote:
plumber wrote:Kinda my point. You guys and gals from Oz and New Zealand have driven the Canadian market into the ground. Enjoy the Karma.

BS
When I was there I worked in places most Canadians did not want to work.
I got no negativity or feelings of animosity from the locals for me being a foreign pilot.
I am sure if the local had 1500 hours then there wouldn't be an issue (most "decent" contracts require said amount)
Just filling the void.
I believe it is harder to get visas into Canada now.
That being said,If it wasn't for OZ/NZ pilots ability to work overseas then there would be a hell of a lot of Bell Mediums being flown by foreigners during the Australian summer.
Progression (to mediums/twins) isn't really a well accepted word by a majority of operators in the Australian industry........

Not BS at all. The reason some companies would hire you guys is you would work for less and longer than most Canadian pilots would.(Don't forget we have to live here after you leave) Also saw a guy from NZ work in the hangar for free till his TFW permit came in. Both he and the company broke the law. Then work for free (Company made them) on their 5 days off to refresh their duty days. So I've seen a ton of abuse from Aussies and Kiwis. Fact!

Best not generalise, not everyone worked for the operator you are implying (Canada is real big eh), so putting all your eggs into one basket does not reflect what is going on but merely shows your "5000+ hours" could be a few hundred more had you not been bagging out persons that went through legitimate avenues and worked for honest companies. Maybe your bitterness proves why there is a void within the Canadian industry that needs filling by overseas pilots. (No offence to my Canadian comrades)
How about you b!tch on Vertical that Canadian registered helicopters and pilots should not be exported overseas to help out when needed.....see how far that takes you.....or start a facebrag page and see how many likes you get.

P.S Have you "plumber" ever wanted to work in a different country other that yours of origin?
Pretty f#%k!ng closed minded if not.
plumber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby plumber » Sun Jan 21 2018, 12:46

The only void in Canada is the void for pilots to work longer tours than are legal for less money than is fair (Did you not read the part about the kiwi that worked for free till his permit came in?). That's the void aussies and Kiwis seem to sign up for. I'm not bitter either just found it funny that some of you are whinging about foreign pilots coming in and taking jobs when you lot have been doing it for years. I'm just telling you about my experiences.

There are legit guys that come in and are needed but for the most part it's the same 5 or 6 companies that abuse the system for the slave labor market. If they couldn't get guys and girls from over seas they would go out of business because no Canadian will work under those conditions.

Sure I'd like to fly in other countries but I won't under cut a local to do it

Any ways sorry you have to watch cricket . No hockey games on the Telly over there?
UnObvious
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby UnObvious » Sun Jan 21 2018, 19:45

plumber wrote:Ask any of those Canadians "stealing" your job what they are getting paid and their tours. I bet not one is undercutting an Aussie or working over their duty days to be there. Huge contrast to the other way around. I even typed slow so you'd get it. Sadly I don't think slow enough.

From my experience, Australian companies pay medium pilots more than Canadian. So yeah, the Canadian pilots here are technically undercutting the Aussies.

One company that sent machines over was having their guys do a 5 month shift so they didn't have to pay the airfares. So yeah, the Canadian crews were working over their duty days to be here.

Not everything is as simple as you put it.

I found last summer in Canada that the guys wrecking it for everyone had come from Quebec, worked 42+ day tours for half the day rate of everyone else. Maybe you could direct your frustration towards your francais friends.

Return to “On the Job”