Should I become a pilot? Advice for newbies.

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Should I become a pilot? Advice for newbies.

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sun Feb 18 2018, 10:15

A thought provoking article on the pros and cons of becoming a pilot.

It would seem the best days of helicopters are behind us.... :roll: Maybe so maybe not. Depends on who you ask.

http://gotsky.net/should-i-pilot/
HELO1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Should I become a pilot?

Postby HELO1 » Sun Feb 18 2018, 11:04

Good read

Good find FF!
HELO1
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Should I become a pilot?

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Feb 18 2018, 11:17

Good read. If I started again I wouldn’t bother if I wasn’t going trough the Defence Forces (I didn’t).

I like the point about managers just being around long enough, I have a strong belief in that sentiment that sometimes they fill a necessary void by being Johnny on the spot . Not all are bad by any means, but there are some big time arseholes and downright dishonest people in some of those positions in GA (I work for one). On the up side I’ve also made many life long friends from the industry.

I love my job, half of the time.
ChicoCheco
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: Should I become a pilot? Advice for newbies.

Postby ChicoCheco » Sun Feb 18 2018, 15:10

Just go fixed wing and occasionally rent heli if you must.

Not discouraging potential competition case, but even loving Heli, it's VERY expensive to train, difficult to get first job or two.
As years go past and necessities of life dictate good income & stable job, you would see airline jobs differently. Plus time with family/partner. Those heli utility or offshore jobs may need touring/commuting or simply based elsewhere. Are you flexible?

I spent lot, on many levels and will see if bothered dealing with CASA again later, but I would have been flying as airline Capt by now with half the effort z half the spending (years of saving, reduced quality of life and inheritance that could have been property investment).

I know of plenty pilots at different levels of experience, even those who seemingly have desirable jobs by newbies. Similar take on things.

You really want to have 'nothing else would do, not even planks/fixed wing' type of attitude and determination , realistic funding, not just verbal support of the other half (if you want to stay together) as money issues and no-job frustration can build up.

Have you dreamed of Aviation/Heli since childhood?
Do you have some decent career/skills to fall back on?
Are you OK to work for peanuts if lucky to have job after training? (Unless you got a citizenship of country that fills copilot spots easily, don't know your background, but meaning some African and Asian countries)

All the cool, fancy factor evaporates when it doesn't lead to work in reasonable time and progress. Can't return licence for refund.

Food for thought. Some ideas and issues to consider, you may not have heard or read from the school's marketing.
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Sun Feb 18 2018, 15:46

This is going to be a game changer.

http://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-re ... stone.html

Electric
No gearboxes
No pitch mechanism
Balistic parachute
Quiet
Airbus has it's name all over it

Going to open up the sky's again, these things will be everywhere.

Issue is are they going to need a pilot or just preprogrammed?

Regards.
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Mon Feb 19 2018, 09:55

Everytime I read an article like that it makes me think should I jump over to a cpl-a.... then I think how bored I would probably be between takeoff & landing. :P

If that boeing copter takes off, will make a big change to the industry. How long could it possibly fly for being electric??
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Mon Feb 19 2018, 11:10

Today maybe 20 minutes, using Li-ion type cells normally found in current EV.

The mass movement to solid-state batteries is quickly coming where as you have almost 3 times the energy density and zero risk as they use no volatile or flammable materials.

The big ticker is the fact they can charge like a capacitor not a battery, therefore in minutes not hours. The car market is pushing the rapid development so it will naturally flow into other segments.

Probably see limited runs in late 2018 and serious production end 2019.

Regards,
VBlade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby VBlade » Tue Feb 20 2018, 00:29

Even with solid state technology, can we even expect passengers to trust such new technology. I know I wouldnt, especially if it is autonomous.

Also, I dont see these quadcopters recovering from a motor malfunction, no autorotation with these.

I know the rc’s drop like bricks.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Feb 20 2018, 02:37

VBlade wrote:Even with solid state technology, can we even expect passengers to trust such new technology. I know I wouldnt, especially if it is autonomous.

Also, I dont see these quadcopters recovering from a motor malfunction, no autorotation with these.

Never say never. Do you really think Airbus is stupid enough to sink so much money into something like this without a team working out all the solutions to the problems you mention?

If it were simply a startup or one of the Chinese toy companies scaling up I’d agree with you. This is a different level of investment and innovation that all they do is build and certify aircraft.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Tue Feb 20 2018, 04:57

The thing is these quad designs have a simplicity to them that cannot be beaten. We have shelved two designs that were traditional in layout ( one tail rotor and one tandem ) as they are already too complex compared to quads in regards to just simple maintenance and set up. Quads have one moving part, the outrunner engine. The prop is fixed pitch and all control is simply through RPM.

Shrouded rotors that are safer and have lower sound signatures and better efficencey as they have less tip vortex, lower issues of entanglement with anything as easily as a main or tail rotor would. They don’t have the losses that GB create and they also use more efficient engines as in 93~98% and no tail rotor to suck 15~ 20% off the top, basically all power goes into lift. No maintenance as you have engines, props, brushless control units and a battery, something goes wrong you would just replace it. They also have a huge safety margin over conventual due to in built ballistic parachutes, put a ballistic parachute on any conventual helicopter and it will just increase the rate of decent :D

Maintenance on the Cityairbus/quad design will be nothing compared to anything else flying so again huge saving. You already have electric fixed wing coming onto the scene and also a few business jets coming out will be electric soon as well. These things will not have to be made by the big aircraft companies anymore either, car manufacturers will jump in as well as the local private sector. The only aerodynamic thing on them is the propeller. A couple of years ago all the car makers were laughing a Telsa, then they sold 500k cars in 24 hours? Everyone stopped laughing and are making electric cars, cannot see this any differently.

This layout will allow landing pads pretty well everywhere, flights will be back at all the major cities after years chasing helis away probably even back yards. And finally let’s not forget Uber and the gang are all piling onto this and again that all equal serious $$ for rapid progress.

What all this means for pilots is anyone’s guess, but you’re not going to be able to put the genie back in the box. I personally cannot believe how fast it is all moving and as said previoulsy once you get the main player in the mix all bets are off.

Regards,
Mag seal
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mag seal » Tue Feb 20 2018, 05:16

VBlade wrote:Even with solid state technology, can we even expect passengers to trust such new technology. I know I wouldnt, especially if it is autonomous.

It’s not about you getting into an autonomous aircraft it’s about our kids, kids. They won’t know any different and by then it will be the norm.
Most of us still want pilots up front but with modern automation that will reduce to one “pilot” then nil.
We will be as useful as the horse and carriage men when motor vehicles took over.
Fwh

Postby Fwh » Tue Feb 20 2018, 07:42

Really good article worth the read.
wotyaup2
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby wotyaup2 » Tue Feb 20 2018, 08:26

Mag Seal, yes that is a sad but true reality, even the mines now have autonomous trucks and drilling rig, best we all try and enjoy what we have now I guess.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Tue Feb 20 2018, 08:40

Also what could be noted, in regards to the Australian industry.
Unless you are from military pedigree forget EMS/SAR (no disrespect to ex serviceman) the once travelled path to a co jo seat has been over grown thanks to part 61 (at no cost to the industry) and the down turn in oil and gas has limited a once step into the offshore sector.
If Bell mediums are what you've wanted to fly doing utility work, unless you go overseas to Canada for a few years to gain experience in said airframe, forget about obtaining the time in Australia, operators here believe its a privilege to get endorsed PLUS other than over summer, in Australia there just really isn't the need for mediums year round.

So, in my opinion, to answer the question that started the thread, unless you go military I'd say NO do not become a helicopter pilot. YES go fly planes. Either way be prepared to give up A LOT, neither is 100% user friendly and once the honeymoon period is over and you do in fact realise that you are the least paid in the machine, it is just a job but it beats the hell out of digging holes.....although, just think that the guy digging holes in the mines with the excavator and no education is probably earning more money than you.
Mallard
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mallard » Tue Feb 20 2018, 09:34

Hello Pilots wrote:....although, just think that the guy digging holes in the mines with the excavator and no education is probably earning more money than you.

...and 90% the people you fly around, and the guy that refuels you, and the chef down at the local restaurant... and the person at the bottle shop... :D
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Thu Feb 22 2018, 05:20

Teddtbear

Postby Teddtbear » Thu Feb 22 2018, 06:20

What you want to do is learn how to fix them. That's where the real shortage is.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Heliduck » Thu Feb 22 2018, 07:14

Regarding fixed wing vs Rotary, watch the first 30 minutes of Tom Cruises latest movie "American Made".... sums it up nicely!
Where you will be the happiest is directly related to your personality, some people fit into a structured cockpit environment & some people love spending all day with their head out the door on a long line. Some people can put up with a job they don't like if the money is good, some people can't regardless of the money. Some people like procedural flying, some people like seat of the pants flying. Only you know which person you are.

If you want the money long term by all means go military or fixed wing RPT, low wages to start with but the earning power kicks in later in life when you need it the most(life/wife/kids/mid-life crisis toys). As someone who earns big bucks in the mining industry periodically & frequently resigns from mining so I can go long lining I can say that money does make you happy, but it comes at a cost to your long term satisfaction. I've never been happy overall when I've been living pay to pay even though I loved my flying job every day. Life is a balancing act between the s#!t bucket & the money bucket - when the money is heavier than the s#!t you stay, when the s#!t is heavier than the money you move - Newton's law of gravity.
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Gonsky
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Gonsky » Thu Feb 22 2018, 07:46

Very well said.

Regards,
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu Feb 22 2018, 08:45

Heliduck wrote: Life is a balancing act between the s#!t bucket & the money bucket - when the money is heavier than the s#!t you stay, when the s#!t is heavier than the money you move - Newton's law of gravity.

Very, very true.

Return to “On the Job”