OzRunways and paper maps

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
_chopper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

OzRunways and paper maps

Postby _chopper » Fri Aug 10 2018, 04:10

Anyone know if a map portion printed out of OzRunways is legally acceptable as a substitute for a paper map?
I know Oz runways is an official supplier of ERSA AIP ect and that you can print our the relavent ERSA pages if you need paper copies but what about maps?
Scale issues and the amendment status are a just a couple of issues I can think of with doing this.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: OzRunways and paper maps

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Aug 10 2018, 04:36

Hi Chopper,
I think you’ve answered your own question:).
If your using a map and happen to be ramp checked you be asked to produce your map with current effective date etc. so I don’t think a printed section would meet that requirement.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
_chopper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby _chopper » Fri Aug 10 2018, 04:53

I guess I should clarify I was thinking as the print outs as a backup for using OzRunways on the Ipad.
So the amendment status of the Ozrunways is known and can be proven on a ramp check. But there is no real way to prove the map printouts are current.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Fri Aug 10 2018, 05:06

When you print the map, there is a section that tells that it came from ozrunways and what version.

The maps are always up to date. If you use an old printout, it's the same as using an old map.

And who has ever been ramp checked? Nobody I have ever known in 45 years of aviation.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Aug 10 2018, 05:15

And who has ever been ramp checked? Nobody I have ever known in 45 years of aviation.

I have!, twice :o . But must admit it was years ago. It was more about the legalities. Then again I’ve never had to print a map from Oz Runways so thanks for the clarification Eric.

Edit:
I just printed a couple of maps yesterday, and unless i'm doing it wrong, there was no such section.

Ive just tried now when I got home to see if Eric was correct (sorry Eric, had to see for myself!) off my personal iPad and I just got a printed section with no validity dates also. :?:
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
_chopper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby _chopper » Fri Aug 10 2018, 05:31

When you print the map, there is a section that tells that it came from ozrunways and what version.

I just printed a couple of maps yesterday, and unless i'm doing it wrong, there was no such section. It just printed out what is essentially a screen shot of the map portion currently displayed without the top, bottom, and side bars.
I'm not worried about being ramp checked. It's more of a question about what's legal and what's best practice. Obviously having an up to date paper map backup is ideal. But if your operation for a day far away from your normal base and don't have time to make a detour to buy a map or get one delivered. Or you just don't feel like spending $9.95 plus what ever for delivery.
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Fri Aug 10 2018, 09:08

OK, it must have changed in the 5 years since I stopped flying. I recall seeing a printout on every map I printed out, but obviously not any more. Sorry, dudes.
Mallard
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Mallard » Fri Aug 10 2018, 10:09

Has anyone on here been ramp checked and not had the appropriate or out of date maps?

Interested as to what was the punishment.
Thunderbird_1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Thunderbird_1 » Fri Aug 10 2018, 13:03

Just on printing charts: For those who might not know (I didn't until recently), all of the official charts have been available on the Airservices website for at least the past year or so. They are PDF files with vector graphics - so you can zoom to any degree and they stay sharp. They are in the same place as the AIP Book and ERSA, so I'd guess that their legality for use would be the same as those other docs. You can find them here:

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/aip.asp

Click "Agree" and then click "AIP Charts". They're all there. So if you're in a remote area stuck for a chart and don't have time to wait for postal delivery, you can get one straight away :-)

Return to “On the Job”