Broome helicopter company in court for underpaying pilots

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Worzel_Gummidge
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Broome helicopter company in court for underpaying pilots

Postby Worzel_Gummidge » Wed Mar 19 2014, 04:36

Click here for link to story - I think I'd be nervous if I was one of these operators not abiding by the Award! (And that means all aspects of it!)

The company owner
faces a maximum penalty of up to $6600 for each breach, while the company could be fined up to $33,000 for each breach.

These court cases seem to be popping up a lot more often these days.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Broome helicopter company in court for underpaying pilot

Postby FerrariFlyer » Wed Mar 19 2014, 04:53

It's one thing to whinge about under payment, it's another to do something about it. Well done to the persons concerned standing up for themselves. It goes to show that no one is above the law. Any operator choosing to employ their pilots and pay them below the award is exposed.
Quick Release
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Quick Release » Wed Mar 19 2014, 07:16

:D love these stories…. hope they get the maximum penalty, and the pilot gets a nice pay day at the finish. :D
Skeeter
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Skeeter » Fri Mar 21 2014, 07:07

Broome Helicopter Services grounded, chief pilot removed by CASA

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6861487383
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Fri Mar 21 2014, 08:04

Long time for me between posts.
But I'm finished for the week and half cut in my man cave and couldn't resist..
Just checked their web site.
Who is Hugh kackman...??
Hugh deserves better than that.
I'm sure it's a typo like many more on the site.
Shame on you proof reader!

Hope all the pilots get what they deserve and a job somewhere else now by the looks of what just happened.

GF, flaming out.
Kwyjibo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Kwyjibo » Fri Mar 21 2014, 23:29

Having worked for this operator for 6 months, all I can say is KARMA.
I resisted posting 'hate posts', didnt slag the guy once ( it was actuallly an amazing environment in which to work)
but the guy was just a straight up A hole.
I didnt complain about the pittance that was 'payday', ( i was getting valuable hours!),
I didnt complain about working 6 days straight, only flying for 3, not being paid the other 3, only paid by the MR hour...( i was getting valuable hours)
I sucked it up, kept my mouth shut, got 500 hours then walked.

I knew this day would come. -
should I have done something back then? - possibly.

but hey... Im smiling. :D

Good luck in court Joe.
Kwyjibo:\Kwee-jee-bo\ - n. - a bald, overweight, north amercian ape of below average intelligence
Worzel_Gummidge
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Worzel_Gummidge » Tue Mar 25 2014, 00:14

Now that the company has been shut down, here's hoping they are ordered to pay the pilots what they are owed before it declares bankruptcy!
Squidink1

Re: Broome helicopter company in court for underpaying pilots

Postby Squidink1 » Wed Jun 24 2015, 04:16

More developments at the AAT, seems to be going on for years this case.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/ ... 5/390.html
Slapstick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Slapstick » Wed Jun 24 2015, 22:13

I would love for this to be a real wake up to other operators out there that use and abuse junior pilots.
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Thu Jun 25 2015, 04:58

Slapstick, if the above is not a wake up call for an operator not paying the award wage as a minimum then what would be?

It's only that a statute of limitation applies that I don't pursue two previous employers for something similar.
Slapstick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Slapstick » Thu Jun 25 2015, 06:18

Agreed, FF.

I was more referring to the other things mentioned in the article link above.
Zeus1980
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zeus1980 » Fri Jun 26 2015, 06:48

So I take it a person getting offered their first flying job with them is a no go then???
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Fri Jun 26 2015, 07:34

This post and the comments therein should be a warning to any and all pilots out there job searching both new and experienced particularly in these times when jobs are thin on the ground. The amount of bull5hit and downright lies that are told should make many hang their heads in shame. A few tips below that may save the sour taste in the mouth when the honeymoon is over.

1: Get everything in writing and make sure you've had any employment contract checked by a lawyer (especially if you're an AFAP member as they provide a free legal service to members).
2: NEVER NEVER NEVER work for free or promises. If an employer can't afford to pay you they don't have a viable business. If they will provide you with something down the track they can put it in writing.
3: If your employer renegs on the terms of your contract act, immediately. It is not personal it's just business.
4: Don't sign any return of service agreements for training as they are illegal under the Air Pilots award.
5: If an employer asks you to sign a loan agreement for training they must be a licenced credit broker, also see item 4 above.
6: It is not possible to opt out of the Air Pilots award. It is the minimum level of protection provided under the National Employment Standards.
7: Terms of a contract cannot be be changed unless by mutual agreement.
8: If the remuneration you receive is stepped and you are told that you will get certain things on achieving certain milestones. Make sure that this is also written down and signed by both parties. That way the goalposts cannot be moved after you reach the milestone and new, previously undiscussed conditions applied.
Last edited by Evil Twin on Sat Jun 27 2015, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
CollectiveIssues
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby CollectiveIssues » Fri Jun 26 2015, 08:44

But operators don't get any lower than those that are still out there calling on low hour pilots to be "volunteers" without any pay whatsoever. These people volunteer with the promise of future work, and also being told that this is how it is in the industry, so suck it up. The industry needs a clean up now. As stated in previous posts, if an operator has to turn to this style of employment to remain viable, then they should exit this industry immediately.
Zeus1980
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zeus1980 » Fri Jun 26 2015, 10:19

According to the links he has surrendered his Chief Pilot's authorization but on their website it still has him as it. Wouldn't CASA be on top of this?

Plus with the company now under CASA's microscope you'd think he would try to stay clean until the dust settles... :roll:
Guy Incognito
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Guy Incognito » Fri Jun 26 2015, 10:27

Zeus1980 wrote:According to the links he has surrendered his Chief Pilot's authorization but on their website it still has him as it. Wouldn't CASA be on top of this?

Plus with the company now under CASA's microscope you'd think he would try to stay clean until the dust settles... :roll:

There's a lot of stories floating around from ex employees that wouldn't let the dust ever really settle...
fattony77
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby fattony77 » Sat Jun 27 2015, 00:03

Guy Incognito wrote:
There's a lot of stories floating around from ex employees that wouldn't let the dust ever really settle...

Im one of those "ex employees" guy incognito......what do you exactly mean by "wouldn't ever let the dust settle"? When someone has done wrong by their employees or the industry for that matter, should their actions not be held accountable? Or are you more of a stick your head in the sand type of person and just think, well if its not happening to me, then just ignore it? I personally feel, if more of the operators who are falling short of their obligations to their employees, particularly the low hour,new to the industry pilots. Then a better, safer industry we will have for everyone. Would you not agree?
Guy Incognito
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Guy Incognito » Sat Jun 27 2015, 01:02

Relax mate, you're jumping to the wrong conclusions. I'm on your side and agree with your last sentiment. I was pointing to the fact there's always issues coming out of this joint. Looks like a duck, ...
fattony77
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby fattony77 » Sat Jun 27 2015, 01:38

Guy Incognito wrote:Relax mate, you're jumping to the wrong conclusions. I'm on your side and agree with your last sentiment. I was pointing to the fact there's always issues coming out of this joint. Looks like a duck, ...

Ok, i apologise if thats the tact you're coming from......i admit i took your comment from a different angle. Definitely a "duck" in this case, and all roads are leading it this particular operator getting his just deserts. Which in my opinion is good for the industry and for all employees in aviation....you break the rules, you lose you privileges to operate a company, you under pay your pilots.......it costs you more in the long run!
Guy Incognito
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Guy Incognito » Sun Jun 28 2015, 22:43

Quack quack. Apology wasn't needed but still appreciated.

Return to “On the Job”