Zulu helmet mod

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
UnObvious
1st Dan
1st Dan

Zulu helmet mod

Postby UnObvious » Tue Aug 14 2018, 13:06

Looking at a new helmet and wondering if anyone has put a Lightspeed Zulu headset into an LH050. I'm currently running this setup in my LH350 but looking for a change. I've been told the ear cups won't fit in the 050 by one of the companies that sells them and just want to be sure.

I just pulled the headband off the headset and velcro'd in the ear cups. Works a treat in the 350.
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Zulu helmet mod

Postby bigglesbutler » Tue Aug 14 2018, 22:04

Lightspeed sell a helmet kit now so they may have some info on their website.

Si
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Tue Aug 14 2018, 22:14

G'day T4. Doable but you need to modify the earcups pretty well and then seal up the damage later so the noise cancelling still works. If you have a smaller head, it is a great mod. I believe the new Bose A20 would fit a bit better due to the smaller cups. Also, the microphone needs to be shortened if you keep the lightspeed flex boom. Not difficult, you just need a hacksaw blade and a soldering iron. Did you ask Tiger Performance about the fit into a 050?
UnObvious
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby UnObvious » Wed Aug 15 2018, 03:13

Yeah, Tiger is the one that said it wouldn't fit. The other companies I've emailed haven't said it would be a problem.

Was trying to save some $$, might just have to do it properly. Anyone interested in a medium LH350 with a Zulu 3 in it?
choppermech1986
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby choppermech1986 » Wed Aug 15 2018, 04:58

What don't you like about the 350? The Zulu 3 would be a dream in that helmet no? Is it the weight? I've seen some nice installs in 250's, there seems to be a bit more room but maybe it's the visor that just makes it look bigger. If my head was 1cm thinner, my 050 with Zulu 3 install would be a perfect fit, for now it's just 'snug'.
UnObvious
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby UnObvious » Mon Aug 20 2018, 17:31

Heavy mainly, I've heard good things about the 050 in that regard, and I very rarely use my second visor.

Modifying the ear cups, you mean to remove the mic? Or is there more to it?

Haven't got a massive head, right on the borderline of the Small/Large Shell crossover so figuring I just grab a large shell, probably would work?

The biggest benefit I can see to the purpose built helmet kit from Lightspeed is the quick disconnect at the helmet. Would love to try and make something like that but those wires are too tiny for my poor soldering skills.

Return to “Equipment”