Headset choice

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
heli2o
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Headset choice

Postby heli2o » Thu Sep 7 2017, 09:24

I've been keen to hear some personal reviews about the one-x doesn't seem to be too many out there yet.
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Fri Sep 8 2017, 05:11

ordered 1 set only A20, 30 day trial was offered, with discount for 2nd set. Looking forward to getting them.
If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time
helmet spider
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby helmet spider » Fri Sep 8 2017, 07:03

I had the DC X 1 the best advise I could give is simply.
Get the Bose!! And don't muck around with anything else
My DC X1 while happily flying along simply snapped in half at the ear cup hinge.
Apparently a common outcome. I have subsequently discovered. Unfortunately I had modded it to a helo plug and voided any warranty.
But to be honest even if it hadn't broken I was going to get rid of it anyway. It simply does not compare to Bose or light speed.
We have Bose where I work and they get flogged. Bose always repair and replace no questions

My 2c

HS
rotors99
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby rotors99 » Sun Sep 10 2017, 07:48

There's only one.....A20 is the Best, if your in a Rotory machine? You should be wearing a helmet!
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Sun Sep 10 2017, 22:20

rotors99 wrote:There's only one.....A20 is the Best, if your in a Rotory machine? You should be wearing a helmet!

or wear a helmet with a Bose A20 in it, the best thing I have ever worn and do so at every opportunity. If I can't wear my lid then I wear a Bose A20, hands down simply the best. Not that I am a high time Pilot but I am a tinkerer and have owned and worn just about most things to date which is:

Headsets:
Bose x
Bose A20
DC ANR
Zulu ANR
Non ANR stuff like DCH10-13 and cheaper junk

Helmets:
Alpha eagle with factory ANR
Alpha Eagle with Bose x conversion
Gentex SPH with Bose x conversion
Alpha Eagle with with Bose A20 conversion
Gentex SPH with Bose A20 conversion
Non ANR helmets, Alpha Eagle, MSA, Gentex SPH

I have not included CEP as I have not worn them but also don't intend to

In order of besteness (yes thats right) the order goes like this:

1. Bose A20
2. Bose X (only a smidgen behind A20)
3. Zulu (more closer to position 4 than 2)
4. DC and all other ANR headsets and and factory helmet jobs (Alpha MSA etc) which are all pretty much rubbish
5. non ANR headsets / alpha / MSA non anr helmet
6. other non anr helmets like Gentex SPH
7. cotton wool in your ears
8. Sticky tape

There are only 2 slight down sides with Bose and a million pluses. The downsides are:

1. They are terrible with the ANR off, make sure you have fresh batts
2. Most people use rechargeable batts (which Bose say not to) and the indicator doesn't really like that so its up to you to make sure they have enough charge for the flight

I remember I was flying into YMEN in a noisy little piston (was actually on my CPL flight test) and the batts went flat. I could just make out the tower calling me but I had no idea what they were saying, luckily we had spare batts and was able to change them over and carry on
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Sep 10 2017, 22:35

Have you guys with the ANR used that system with the doors off? Previous experience with doors off deemed them useless in that environment, but it's been a lot of years since I tried.

Personally I use Helo Chais. Comfortable, versatile and works. And you can get the parts to convert your helmet for ~$10. Granted, I use a helmet when I fly, so headsets aren't an option in my scenario.
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Sun Sep 10 2017, 23:15

Jabberwocky wrote:Have you guys with the ANR used that system with the doors off? Previous experience with doors off deemed them useless in that environment, but it's been a lot of years since I tried.

Personally I use Helo Chais. Comfortable, versatile and works. And you can get the parts to convert your helmet for ~$10. Granted, I use a helmet when I fly, so headsets aren't an option in my scenario.

I have flown my little piston with doors off with the factory ANR in the alpha, it did struggle at times (but its not a very good ANR) but all the helmets I have had with ANR bose conversion were fine with doors off

I do have to slightly turn the squelch up because of the extra wind activating the vox through the microphone but thats regardless if if you have ANR or not

I did an A20 conversion into an alpha for a guy doing long lining with head out the door in a squirrel and he has said it is no drama

I have heard some people complain about A20 headset only with doors off but I have not had that problem personally although I have spoken to someone who said he tried a set and said it was terrible with doors off on a Jetty
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Sep 10 2017, 23:52

Thanks for the feedback :)
Wooduck
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Wooduck » Tue Sep 19 2017, 06:02

Bose A20 with Bluetooth.
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Thu Sep 21 2017, 02:00

Bose A20 with bluetooth.......trialled this new purchase, about to order 2nd set. Pity i did'nt get them first time.....O well.
jab160
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby jab160 » Fri Sep 22 2017, 06:54

Query.......will 2 A20's bluetooth to same device. ...????? ( ipad, iphone )
SuperF
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby SuperF » Sun Sep 24 2017, 04:42

The Bose in the Evo helmet is really good, but can have trouble with heavy loaded, big 2 bladed helicopters. You can get quite a loud hammering through the ANR, but only at certain times. Doors off in a Bell Medium, can provide a thump, doors on, window closed almost nothing. Have occasionally had a similar thump in a 206 with the door on, only with the wind in a certain direction..... and with the door off in the JR it is fine! change track in either machine and it can help, or even go away, if it is possible to change track!

Return to “Equipment”