Osprey Flight Helmet

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
Ghost

Osprey Flight Helmet

Postby Ghost » Mon Apr 17 2017, 09:49

G'day all,

I am currently on the market for a helicopter flight helmet and during my research I came across a brand I never heard before... Osprey. The guys from Red Baron (Sydney - Bankstown) sell them.

I searched Google and the BS forum but nothing related to an "Osprey helmet" comes up, only in relation to the Vtol US military acft.

Is anyone here using this helmet that could give me a quick review of how good or bad it is?

Also, just in case you have a XL (60cm) size helmet for sale, let me know.

Link to the RedBaron website: https://www.redbaronalse.com.au/product ... ht-helmet/

Cheers.
bubble bugs
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Osprey Flight Helmet

Postby bubble bugs » Mon Apr 17 2017, 21:07

I have tried it on and was very impressed. I like my gallets however the ospreys would be in my top 2 or 3 for my next helmet. Very comfortable and easy to alter sizing. I have a 60cm head so hard to shop for. Specs were pretty impressive and the built quality was also very good. It is a bulky helmet like the gallet 250, alpha eagles etc but definitely worth a look. The only way to buy a helmet in my opinion is in person and red barron are always great to deal with.
Ghost

Postby Ghost » Mon Apr 17 2017, 23:03

bubble bugs wrote:I have tried it on and was very impressed. I like my gallets however the ospreys would be in my top 2 or 3 for my next helmet. Very comfortable and easy to alter sizing. I have a 60cm head so hard to shop for. Specs were pretty impressive and the built quality was also very good. It is a bulky helmet like the gallet 250, alpha eagles etc but definitely worth a look. The only way to buy a helmet in my opinion is in person and red barron are always great to deal with.

Thanks Bubble Bugs. It sounds like they are a solid helmet based on your review.

I agree with you but I'll have to try my luck and measure my coconut properly because there's no way I can go to Bankstown to buy a helmet...

Cheers.
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Mon Apr 17 2017, 23:36

Aren't they just a modern Gentex SPH? at least that's what they look like from the pics, there's no inside pics so cant see if there internally the same

Not that I have anything against a Gentex, I quite like them, I have 2 SPH's and an Alpha Eagle, I normally wear my Alpha

As far as the visors go I prefer the alpha method where they are hinged from a fixed point as apposed to the gentex where the visor is on slides, a hinge is always smoother to operate

Features aside the only way to see what lid suits your noggen best is to wear it, if possible try and borrow someone's to see how they feel
Ghost

Postby Ghost » Tue Apr 18 2017, 00:54

SIR_SMP wrote:Aren't they just a modern Gentex SPH? at least that's what they look like from the pics, there's no inside pics so cant see if there internally the same

Not that I have anything against a Gentex, I quite like them, I have 2 SPH's and an Alpha Eagle, I normally wear my Alpha

As far as the visors go I prefer the alpha method where they are hinged from a fixed point as apposed to the gentex where the visor is on slides, a hinge is always smoother to operate

Features aside the only way to see what lid suits your noggen best is to wear it, if possible try and borrow someone's to see how they feel

Not sure about the similarities, this will be my first flight helmet. I tried an Alpha Eagle 3 years ago and it was a bit tight, but apart from that it felt good. If I can recall, it was a medium long.

After a few hours of research, my initial choice is the Evo 252 but 12 weeks delivery time seems a bit too much.

If the Red Baron guys are prompt with delivery I might go with them.

PS. Thanks for the link to your Gentex, seems like a good helmet but I am looking for something with an ANR system pre-installed.

Cheers.
komodo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby komodo » Tue Apr 18 2017, 01:35

I've been using a Northwall helmet for the past year, and can't recommend them enough. Sold by Red Baron ALSE also.

Worth having a look at if your in the market for a new helmet.

https://www.redbaronalse.com.au/product ... ht-helmet/
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Tue Apr 18 2017, 02:09

Ghost wrote:If the Red Baron guys are prompt with delivery I might go with them.

I am curious what they are quoting for these? I like the carbon visor protector, might get it for one of my Gentex lids

Ghost wrote:PS. Thanks for the link to your Gentex, seems like a good helmet but I am looking for something with an ANR system pre-installed.

Can always do a Bose X10 conversion for a Gentex but it is a bit pricey conversion due to the super expensive conversion cup shell the Yanks sting you for $500 USD for a $2 piece of plastic! (granted sales volume are low so that price probably reflects the amortisation of the tooling)

When I get time I might do a Bose into one of my own Gentex's

With regards to ANR I can only share my own life experience and this free advise has cost me a fortune trying various things over time

IMHO most every ANR system on the market is crap, to date I have flown with Dave Clarke ANR headsets, the genuine alpha ANR (in my eagle) and one of those $200 retro fit jobs into my Gentex. They all worked marginally ok but either makes a lot of background noise when there is no outside noise, Chews through a ton of batteries (3x9V,) disrupts the sound, or all 3

I have not tried Light speed ANR but have heard it is much the same. IMHO don't bother with any of these ANR, either get CEP's or do a Bose ANR conversion or run stock as a rock
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Tue Apr 18 2017, 02:16

komodo wrote:I've been using a Northwall helmet for the past year, and can't recommend them enough

I reckon the peripheral vision would be great in one of these but there is (seemingly) reduced protection. But the real issue is you would always have to walk around with the dark tint visor down so no one would recognise you because they are just so such a dam UGLY helmet
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Tue Apr 18 2017, 02:20

You could always try one of these low profile jobbies

They look really good, from what I understand they are very light, available with factory Zulu ANR (I think)

only single visor, have never seen one in the flesh though. I spoke to them a while ago but they wouldn't sell me a bare helmet without comms (I wanted to a A20 Bose conversion into it)

http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/m8/21 ... visor.html
Ghost

Postby Ghost » Tue Apr 18 2017, 10:11

komodo wrote:I've been using a Northwall helmet for the past year, and can't recommend them enough. Sold by Red Baron ALSE also.

Worth having a look at if your in the market for a new helmet.

https://www.redbaronalse.com.au/product ... ht-helmet/

Thanks Komodo. I will agree with Sir_SMP, it is a rather ugly helmet... The price is good though, no doubt.

SIR_SMP wrote:Can always do a Bose X10 conversion for a Gentex but it is a bit pricey conversion due to the super expensive conversion cup shell the Yanks sting you for $500 USD for a $2 piece of plastic! (granted sales volume are low so that price probably reflects the amortisation of the tooling)

When I get time I might do a Bose into one of my own Gentex's

With regards to ANR I can only share my own life experience and this free advise has cost me a fortune trying various things over time

IMHO most every ANR system on the market is crap, to date I have flown with Dave Clarke ANR headsets, the genuine alpha ANR (in my eagle) and one of those $200 retro fit jobs into my Gentex. They all worked marginally ok but either makes a lot of background noise when there is no outside noise, Chews through a ton of batteries (3x9V,) disrupts the sound, or all 3

I have not tried Light speed ANR but have heard it is much the same. IMHO don't bother with any of these ANR, either get CEP's or do a Bose ANR conversion or run stock as a rock

I agree, ARN systems can be hit and miss, I wasn't very impressed with the Alpha Eagle when I tried. I used David Clark headsets with ANR for a several years and it was good-ish. Apart from a bit of buzzing when spooling the engines up, it provided a reasonable amount of noise cancelling.

My idea for the helmet tough is to add the Bose A20, just like you did with your Alpha. Not sure if I can get that option on the Osprey but it is available for the Evo 252. I heard good things about the Zulu ANR, that could be a good option as well... it just depends of what they can offer.

The Boneheadcomposites seem to be a good option, I worry about spares though...
Ghost

Postby Ghost » Thu Apr 20 2017, 13:21

No reply from RedBaron after two messages left and one email...

I had same day reply from the Evo rep (bear in mind he's in the US).

I decided to order an Evo 252 with an A20. The guy told me delivery time is 6 weeks (not bad).

Very good reviews on the web, I am confident it is a good helmet.

Cheers to all that replied to this post.
Pinnacle
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Pinnacle » Thu Apr 20 2017, 14:21

Ghost wrote:No reply from RedBaron after two messages left and one email...

I had same day reply from the Evo rep (bear in mind he's in the US).

I decided to order an Evo 252 with an A20. The guy told me delivery time is 6 weeks (not bad).

Very good reviews on the web, I am confident it is a good helmet.

Cheers to all that replied to this post.

I'd be wary of the evo models.
I spoke to a friend in Canada the other day, and the rumours were flying that Gallet are taking evo to court based on the exact copies of the gallet.

again this was a rumour. maybe nothing will come of it... but hey who doesn't like a good rumour!
tinman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby tinman » Fri Apr 21 2017, 03:19

Red Baron are a good company, but they are hopelessly overrun by everyone in Australia because they're good at what they do and have reasonably priced products. When it comes to ordering spares etc. they're very hard to get a hold of... I've been frustrated before but a few phone calls fixed the problem... Still thumbs up from me for RB. Cheers tinman

Return to “Equipment”