AS350 Seat Sliders

Gizmos and gear used in Helicopter Op's
TreeTrimmer125
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

AS350 Seat Sliders

Postby TreeTrimmer125 » Mon May 18 2020, 03:14

I've recently come across a seat slider mod for the Squirrel thats being fabricated by a company in NZ. Has anyone got any working experience with said mod? How does it compare to the traditional "floor window" mod's by Airbus and Dart Aerospace.

I can see the value of not having to cut holes into the floor / belly fairings BUT does it provide the "advertised" seating position that would make the floor window mod unnecessary?

Ergonomics etc - is it comfortable ? where would you put your money if the choice were yours? Below is the link to the "seat slider STC"

https://www.oceania-aviation.com/airbor ... at-slider/
[*]if you have never failed, you haven't tried hard enough
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Re: AS350 Seat Sliders

Postby godfather007 » Mon May 18 2020, 03:41

Great system
I love the VR window and mirrors as well.
You tend to scratch up your helmet more whilst getting your head out and back in as you are a lot closer to the pillar but you get use to the technique.
Off set cyclic and collective extension is also a good option.
You can get different opinions from taller people.
I’m a average size, so it works great for me.
It has 3 sideways settings for memory.
All in all, you can really get your head out side to see the load better than a standard seat.
There is always an option.
SpinnyThing
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SpinnyThing » Mon May 18 2020, 03:44

They are pretty cool if you are used to Bells. IMO the window is better for ergonomics, as it’s a bit easier on the body.

The slider is a great setup, although after a 10 hour day you really feel it! You do see a lot more with the door off and slider out. Also changes the cofg just enough to tilt the machine towards your load, giving you a better sight picture.
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Mon May 18 2020, 03:50

Great system!
I love the VR window and mirrors as well and if I had my choice, I would have all the options.
You tend to scratch up your helmet more whilst getting your head out and back in as you are a lot closer to the pillar but you get use to the technique.
Off set cyclic and collective extension is also a good option.
You can get different opinions from taller people.
I’m an average size, so it works great for me.
It has 3 sideways settings for memory.
All in all, you can really get your head out side to see the load better than a standard seat.
Oh and on a side note; make sure the locking pin to the slider is locked in, it scared the $hit out of me one day when it moved in board and locked in as I was bringing up a full bucket...(user issue..) :shock:
TreeTrimmer125
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TreeTrimmer125 » Mon May 18 2020, 04:10

Great comment @godfather007 - I too am sorta average in height and when I read about it, I thought this could be a good alternative. I remember in our BA (a long time ago) we had 2 sets of seat tracks that allowed us to move the seat's outboard. So this will achieve the same from what I can see.

It seems to be a simple installation from what I can see and if it does the trick - I'd rather not cut any holes into my machine

As for hitting your head - ever tried get your head in and out of a jetty :lol: - Same issue there, at least I did - maybe thats just the inexperience but yeah, knocked my noggin a few times.
Bront
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bront » Mon May 18 2020, 09:16

Best VR mod ever. I hate that window in the floor, might be ok if the bottom one lined up with the top one but never seen one that does. I'm 6'3" and don't have problems hitting my helmet on the door frame but it does require some technique. Same in a 206.
TreeTrimmer125
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TreeTrimmer125 » Tue May 19 2020, 03:44

Bront wrote:Best VR mod ever. I hate that window in the floor, might be ok if the bottom one lined up with the top one but never seen one that does. I'm 6'3" and don't have problems hitting my helmet on the door frame but it does require some technique. Same in a 206.

Nice one @Bront - we have sent an inquiry to the STC holder and will see what comes of it. It will likely be a matter of our QA getting it thru the local authority if its only NZ approved.

Money fixes everything over where we operate so if it all stacks up and turns out to be as advertised, we'd definitely be keen to give this mod a good look at and run thru its paces.

I tend to agree on the floor window - I have to say that we ended up installing the "Large" option that Dart Aerospace offers. The "small" while it did the trick, did not quite line up. going a size up did it for us. Though moving the landing light was a pain and just added labor and material ($$$ and with it extended the ground time.

We looked into the Airbus factory mod but at nearly $30k - it was not an option. (probably a good option if you buy new and add it as part of the purchase agreement)
Friendly Black Dog
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Friendly Black Dog » Tue May 19 2020, 10:12

Godfather “average size” 007!

Crack me up. You’d better get back into that weetbix packet if you ever want to get up towards average

Legend!
godfather007
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby godfather007 » Tue May 19 2020, 12:02

FBD. Yes, LOL!
Being Humble is what I have been thought and have delivered/presented.
I have been blessed by my size to get in the seat over the years due to the payload advantages.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Wed May 20 2020, 12:57

Many moons ago we had the seat, pedal and collective STC mod in Parkair 1, VH-PTH at the time. It had BK seats for pilot and crewy and it was a great platform.

Best arrangement I’ve had in the 350 as I’m on the shorter side. Have used the floor windows etc but nothing beats door off. Personally, I’d go for the mod in the squirrel if you can justify the cost.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
TreeTrimmer125
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby TreeTrimmer125 » Thu May 21 2020, 05:54

Twistgrip wrote:Many moons ago we had the seat, pedal and collective STC mod in Parkair 1, VH-PTH at the time. It had BK seats for pilot and crewy and it was a great platform.

Best arrangement I’ve had in the 350 as I’m on the shorter side. Have used the floor windows etc but nothing beats door off. Personally, I’d go for the mod in the squirrel if you can justify the cost.

It sure does come with a hefty price tag - definitely something ponder over during these trying times...

Return to “Equipment”