Unfamiliar Airspace

Upload or Download weight & balance sheets
Mick White
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Unfamiliar Airspace

Postby Mick White » Sat Mar 19 2011, 00:41

Advice Please, I'm planning from Caloundra to Sydney and as a newbie I am unfamiliar with the airspace. My question is, after tracking southbound down the VFR lane west North Stadbroke Island , can I expect clearance from Bris Radar/ Gold Coast Twr to fly coastal rather than the western VFR lane via Nerang?
Meatloaf
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Unfamiliar Airspace

Postby Meatloaf » Sat Mar 19 2011, 02:28

Hey mate, jump onto BN radar and call them at Jumpinpin for the code. Then they'll advise to contact TWR abeam Q1 for clearance to track the zone coastal southbound.
You'll have a few bigger clearance issue's between Goldy and Sydney too...
and now for something completely different
Mick White
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Mick White » Sat Mar 19 2011, 03:05

Thanks Meatloaf, I'll plan that way then, re , between Goldy-Syd , I guess you're referring to "Williamtown" , I've got that sussed, over water instructions are pretty clear on the VTC, after that I'm familiar with the route into Sydney. Cheers Mick.
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Sat Mar 19 2011, 06:41

hey when your flying down stockton beach along the williamtopn access lane, my advice , dont look in the water while your flying over it. last time i did, i didnt like the 100 hundred sharks i roughly counted along the beach stretch.

they were chasing fish in about chest deep water! :shock:
Rusky
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Rusky » Sat Mar 19 2011, 08:47

The last few times I have flown the coast south of sugarloaf point to williamtown , I have seen hundreds of dolphins and only a few sharks. Either way, its a great route and view along the coast and Willy CD are always very accomodating, even with short cuts, traffic permitting.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Sat Mar 19 2011, 08:48

You can always go straight across the top of Brisbane airport, no overwater issues and it'll be a more direct (although less scenic) route. Put a plan in and they'll almost definitely route you via the Hornibrook viaduct, the BN control tower and then the Manly boat harbour, all at 1500'. I have done it many, many times and as long as you have a plan in it's a piece of cake. Can't remember off the top of my head but there are also altitudes, either 500' or 1000', to maintain depending on your direction of travel, north or south, whilst tracking past the Gold Coast to separate all the traffic.

If you're tracking coastal southbound of Ballina beware of the Evans Head restricted zone also. It's a military training area, BN centre/radar (I think) will be able to tell you if it's active.

I've done that flight a few times, nice way to get to Sydney, enjoy!

Cheers,

CH 8)
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Sat Mar 19 2011, 09:05

I've also called the tower/approach facility concerned before flying through a zone and explained that it was my first time through that area. Almost all the controllers were really friendly, helpful and accommodating. I think all of them appreciated someone in doubt calling up trying to do the right thing and making the effort to do the right thing. It's a very scenic enjoyable flight. Enjoy!
Mick White
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Mick White » Sat Mar 19 2011, 09:46

I'm looking forward to the flight, some nice weather would make it even better. Regarding the restricted zone near Evans Head, I checked up on that and the Williamtown Twr informed me, if its not in the NOTAM then it is not operational, but I will double check with Bris Radar enroute as an active firing range would not be handy. Thanks heaps for all the advice, Cheers Mick.
Capt Hollywood
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Capt Hollywood » Sat Mar 19 2011, 13:43

but I will double check with Bris Radar enroute

Good idea Mick, I would hazardous a guess that there's quite a few of us on here that have been surprised by military operations in restricted areas that were not active according to the NOTAMS, they can activate them at a moments notice it seems!
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Sat Mar 19 2011, 14:09

Gday Mick,

Just to follow on what Hollywood and Rusky said, if powering down the coast through to Sydney call up at sugarloaf point. however through a few years of powering down there myself you can be guaranteed that contacting Willy Centre at sugarloaf point can be a bit of hit and miss depending on atmospheric conditions. you really need to be not below 1500' when contacting them there for a south bound clearance. to be honest they dont really want to know about you untill you west abeam broughton island...and then again at point stephens lighthouse @500' (fingal bay lighthouse) thence south bound to Nobbys light house @500 coastal.

Be prepared for holding due to civil traffic and also F18/Hawk traffic on finals Rwy 30 wlm. id allow 5 mins holding fuel in your plan.

they are some of the best controllers ive dealt with over the years very professional and accomodating, you shouldnt have any dramas at all

Cheers
Twisty :)
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Mick White
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Mick White » Mon Mar 21 2011, 00:53

G'day Twisty ,
I would have been at 1000' at Sugarloaf Point. thanks for the tip. Will also add holding fuel to my plan. With the Firing range which is sometimes operational, the F18's , the Sharks and possibly angry Dolphins, it sounds like a bit of an adventure. Big thanks to all the advice and responses, makes me feel more confident with my flight plan. Cheers Mick.
mja
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mja » Mon Mar 21 2011, 02:17

Mick

Good luck with the flight, I would do what CH said re: Brisbane, plan to go straight over the top. Evans Head, I would not go on the NOTAM, always check with Brisbane to see if it is active, I have gone on the NOTAM, but I still check with Brisbane, as it has been active and cleareance not available....... :cool_dc:
Mick White
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Mick White » Mon Mar 21 2011, 02:37

Thanks mja,
I did take on board what Capt H was saying re Brisbane, but thought the scenic over to Stadbroke was not much of a detour. Is the main reason for the advice with regards to Brisbane to avoid the over water stage of the flight? or is it an operational time issue? With regards to Evans Head, would you plan to stay over water and avoid the zone or go inland around the zone? Lot to learn, Thanks Mick.
Mick White
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Mick White » Mon Mar 21 2011, 02:42

Woops , correction, R641E is from the surface to 8000' so the answer is inland of course. RTFM !
mja
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mja » Mon Mar 21 2011, 05:08

Mick

Brisabne is time, however, it is a great perspective over the top, but I am sure if you stay flying up there you will get to do it anyway!... :cool_dc:

Return to “Flight Planning”