Hooker Creek to Tennant Creek to Mt Isa

Upload or Download weight & balance sheets
Skid Marx
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Hooker Creek to Tennant Creek to Mt Isa

Postby Skid Marx » Thu Sep 22 2011, 02:27

Hi all

Looking for a little operational assistance.

Can anyone advise on where to get avgas between Hooker Creek & Tennant Creek, and also between Tennant Creek & Mt Isa.

Stations etc?

Currently planning to cross west coast to east coast.

Any help greatly appreciated and repaid with a smiley :D

Cheers

Skidz
Just trying to keep the same number of landings as liftoffs......
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Hooker Creek to Tennant Creek to Mt Isa

Postby Pegs » Thu Sep 22 2011, 03:12

Skid Marx wrote:Hi all

Looking for a little operational assistance.

Can anyone advise on where to get avgas between Hooker Creek & Tennant Creek, and also between Tennant Creek & Mt Isa.

Stations etc?

Currently planning to cross west coast to east coast.

Any help greatly appreciated and repaid with a smiley :D

Cheers

Skidz

mate your best bet would be to arrange a fuel drop at Barkly Roadhouse, and at Avon Downs, if you need to you could do another at Cammoweal. All three have roadtrains past every day of the week so wouldn't be too hard to get a drum dropped off. The Hooker creek bit I can't help you with.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Thu Sep 22 2011, 03:18

they usually sell Avgas at BArkly, but a good idea to call ahead and make sure first, before relying on it.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
Scud
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Scud » Thu Sep 22 2011, 03:23

Hey Skid Marx...PM me if you want some info.

Cheers,
Scud
Skid Marx
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Skid Marx » Thu Sep 22 2011, 04:18

He Pegz

Thanks for the info :D - works out perfectly. Those 2 spots will be fine, the roadhouse has avgas on pump and the station, I am waiting for them to get back to me, but they are pretty sure they have it there to sell.

The only drama now is the big jump from Hooker to Tennant creeks, will be 2 up and with our fuel calcs its a little too close for comfort.

Thanks again for the details.

Hey SCUD - PM sent, cheers.

Skidz
Min Min
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Min Min » Thu Sep 22 2011, 07:20

mate i'd like to know where your stop before Hooker Ck is, You might find it more better to go via Wave hill and newcastle waters then to the Barkly homestaed, suprising how little difference in time there can be sometimes. let me know where you are starting from and where you are finishing and i might be able to suggest an alternative, i have had a bit to do with planning across those areas, you never know I might come up with something.
Scud
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Scud » Fri Sep 23 2011, 02:47

Hey Skid Marx,

If there's fuel at Wave Hill and Newcastle Waters, Min Min's suggestion sounds good. Distances seem just about right too.
Skid Marx
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Skid Marx » Fri Sep 23 2011, 03:00

Hey Scud

Thanks mate - checking out Newcastle Waters now.

Thinking of going Hooker Creek - VRD - then Newcastle Waters and down to Tenant Creek. The distances look good from Hooker to VRD and to Newcastle - so long as we can get fuel at both VRD & Newcastle!

Cheers for your help :D

Skidz
Robinsondog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Robinsondog » Fri Sep 23 2011, 09:41

Congratulations skidz for asking and listening. I had a look at Google earth, your original leg was 220 NM. If you are a R22, pax, suvival gear and full fuel you would have shown yourself up very publicly as someone to chuck in the slammer had misfortune befallen you forty mile short and you lived to tell the tale.

Perhaps your total crew load was very very light, but how far under AUW are you?

A ramp check at Tennant Creek should have still thrown you in the slammer. What day did you say you were going?

One of my past Aunts had a saying, "better twenty minutes late than twenty years early." She relayed a stoy about a couple of young Americans, war time Townsville, in a hurry, wouldn't delay for a breakfast she offered them. Their DC3 ploughed into the hills twenty minutes after take off in cloud, they of course were the front office blokes. Perhaps she was soft on one of them, I don't know? but it sure left an impression on her. She was a car pool driver for the yanks.

I think about it every time I think about that bloke and every other useless irresponsible SOB that knew about him, last year that crashed and killed himself in WA after flying most of the way across this country inside the previous twenty four hours.
RD
Bedouin Prince
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Bedouin Prince » Fri Sep 23 2011, 23:15

If you want to head a bit further south you can get fuel at Amaroo, then at Headingly, then it's only a short hop to the Isa. That works if you're departing the Alice.
I'm a pessimist, that way I'm either always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
Skid Marx
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Skid Marx » Sat Sep 24 2011, 01:14

Hey folks

Thanks for all the responses. My mate and I have spent the last 3 days planning this and will continue to do so up till we go.

We are taking no chances and are overplanning like crazy - sorting out as many fuel stops as possible. Just in case.

Looking for one contact though, we need to find who to speak to at Answer Downs Station, just outside McKinley to organize if we can get fuel there.

If anybody knows who to contact it would be a massive help.

Thanks in advance.

Skidz :D
wardy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby wardy » Sat Sep 24 2011, 05:39

hi im not to sure why mckinlay. Buying avgas in drums will cost a fortune. I brought a few drums the other day they are charging like 70 or 80 $ for the drum makes worth a fortune. If you are tracking that close to major towns why not go Mt isa to the Curry to top up? Depends on how far south from there you want to the hop from the curry to Winton i know is a fair way but haven't done the numbers i thought it was about 170 or 180 but the hop from the curry julia creek richmond yhug would be fine. I am not sure on all the fuel availability apart from the curry an yhug. Why not try the mckinlay roadhouse they may be able to organise something as they are on the highway so surely could get a drum. Appart from that if you are desprate PM me.

Return to “Flight Planning”