converting Australian CPL(H) to Canadian CPL(H)

Looking for some info on converting to or from an Aussie Flight Crew License?
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: converting Australian CPL(H) to Canadian CPL(H)

Postby Hello Pilots » Thu Nov 3 2011, 23:46

Although I agree that everyone has their right of opinion, it was the manner in which "ninnOOnnin" for me went about bad mouthing the school!
Maybe a little more thought could have gone in to his post instead of "Chinook sucks Chinook sucks"
nlnnOOnnln

Postby nlnnOOnnln » Fri Nov 4 2011, 00:50

Chinook Sucks Oc:=
'Eye catching isn't it.'

After all the reasons I have given, you still think I haven't thought about it.
I answered pretty much every question or point of dispute with how I see things.
Some of mine have been left unanswered.
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Fri Nov 4 2011, 10:36

nlnnOOnnln wrote:After all the reasons I have given, you still think I haven't thought about it.
I answered pretty much every question or point of dispute with how I see things.
Some of mine have been left unanswered.

Good luck Hello Pilots...I'm out Oc:=
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Fri Nov 4 2011, 15:14

Im going to poke pins into my eyes now
AgRattler
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby AgRattler » Fri Nov 4 2011, 21:20

I too have had a couple of mates convert at Chinook and they don't recommend it either.
:roll:
Redlining in neutral
T_G

Postby T_G » Mon Nov 7 2011, 17:33

I will second that, I too know of guys that got a bad run at Chinook (mainly cost & time) also a bit of butting heads with some instructors.

I converted April 2010 and this is how I went about it, first made phone calls to company’s that I wanted to work for to see if there were any positions.
I am over 31 so also asked if they did sponsored working visa, got the job over the phone sat back and waited for the visa to arrive (I did it like this so that I didn’t have to exit the country and re-enter again of course it was still pending a company check ride) I did my medical in Aus before I left, this is a big help for making a speedy conversion once you get into Canada.

I went to Coast Helicopter Collage on Vancouver Island, it cost me a total of $4200can total this included flights from Aus and to the job after conversion. Food, Drinks, Accommodation, Exam, GAY English proficiency test and all fees for Transport Canada. I was in and out in 7 days.

The check ride was going to be in a Bell 206 which I had never been in before, so that is what I did my conversion hours in so that I didn’t look like a idiot on the check ride. 3.4 hours and that was including the flight test.

I would highly recommend Coast Helicopter collage but that is just my 2 cents worth you should always shop around to get the best deal for yourself.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Tue Nov 8 2011, 04:53

Let me get this straight, you flew to Canada from Australia (return airfares) that in itself is near 3k, paid for all your accomodation food etc($80-$100+ a day) did 3.4 hours in a 206 ($800-1kper hour)paying also for the exam fees ($100) and I am assuming flight testing fees($500) for the flight test all for $4200 Canadian. WOW, nice work
bangequalsbad
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby bangequalsbad » Tue Nov 8 2011, 09:30

T_G wrote:The check ride was going to be in a Bell 206 which I had never been in before, so that is what I did my conversion hours in so that I didn’t look like a idiot on the check ride. 3.4 hours and that was including the flight test.

Over 31...work visa...Canada...Jetrangers...Sausage Factory conversion followed by an average at best check flight...AUS/K1W1 pilot...doing things on the cheap...

I'm locking in "C" Eddie, you work for QWEST.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Nov 8 2011, 09:54

Over 31...work visa...Canada...Jetrangers...Sausage Factory conversion followed by an average at best check flight...AUS/K1W1 pilot...doing things on the cheap...

I'm locking in "C" Eddie, you work for QWEST.

He's got a job and working where he wants to work right? I'd say well researched and money well spent on his part. Just because he got value for money, doesn't mean he didn't have the skills necessary to whiz through a 'conversion, you're forgetting (I'm guessing here) most people converting to a licence in Canada probably have a fair bit of experience and can probably fly quite satisfactorily without being 'taught' how to fly all over again.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
nlnnOOnnln

Postby nlnnOOnnln » Tue Nov 8 2011, 16:54

I was looking at Chinook's cost quote for conversion. In it they quote for 5hrs of flight time. I am not sure but in my faded memory I seem to recall everyone there at the time doing conversion flew the 5 hours as fight assesment for the recommend, then had to pay another 1 hour or so for the flight test. I had a scoot around the "Transport Canada" web site looking for if 5hrs is a requisite before being eligible to sit the flight test.. Obviously not, as "T_G" completed it in 3.4 hrs. Is this just another squeeze in the Chinook juicer? I can't check as that log book is in storage now. Might be wrong but I am sure we discussed it at the time. I know for you guy's wanting to land some, this is, "you must not have been up to standard," territory so bring it big boy'z (nnln).

I would say, Chnook is the sausage factory.
Yep, those boy'z at Qwest are getting some good time and earning some bucks getting the job done. "Extreme." Good on them. No mumma's boz up there.
What a fine way to add to your resume.
Got'z ta put ya head down, "harden the f#%k up," and get on with it up there.

Chinook not recommended. Oc:=
Last edited by nlnnOOnnln on Tue Nov 8 2011, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.
T_G

Postby T_G » Tue Nov 8 2011, 18:45

Hello Pilots,

I don't think you read my post correctly but just to put things straight it was a one way flight from Aus. And this was possible because I waited in Aus till the visa arrived and entered the country on the work visa. Most people come into the country do the conversion start road trip hunting for a job, get job, get visa have to exit country and then re-enter to activate work visa, this all costs extra money.

bangequalsbad,

So you must think i am a fresh out of school pilot to assume an average at best flight test. As far as i am aware a pass is a pass and isn't doing it cheap what everyone wants thus why I added to this treat to let people know there are other options out there than 'Chinook' that cost a lot less. And Coast helicopter collage is no were near a sausage factory, they are not there to steal your money they know you are already a pilot and only put into you what you need to pass the test. Again to save you money.

It anyone whats a complete break down you can PM me.

havick,

Thank you and yes you are right on the money, as for experience. When i was training many years ago i was told a few good thinks by the base manager at the time and one was if you want to go to Canada don't bother unless you have 1000-1500 hrs.

nlnnOOnnln,

Yes it is a squeeze.You only need as many hours as it takes to pass the flight test. And of course the instrument time of 10 hours and as you can tell by the fact that i didnt write about it in my first post i didnt need to do it. My break down of the 3.4hours were 0.6 intro flight to the 206, 1.4 practise flight test, 1.4 flight test done.
macca01
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby macca01 » Sun Nov 20 2011, 10:02

Just did the conversion at chinook. Couldn't fault them at all. Very professional and helpful people.
It is a large and busy school but seems well run from what I saw.
Everyone has a different situation, I had a good run with chinook, left a happy customer and wouldn't hesitate to recomend them.
nlnnOOnnln

Postby nlnnOOnnln » Mon Nov 21 2011, 05:54

Skeptical about this last post. A new user today doing a conversion at the beginning of winter which is quite possibly the wosrt time you could arrive in Canada looking for a job, Think about it users reading this. Most guys who have come through from Ozzy or NZ would most likely have been a member of this site longer.
Perhaps someone from within Chinook.

Chinook not recommended. Oc:=
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Mon Nov 21 2011, 06:08

Well reading your previous 16 posts doesnt exactly give you much credit champ.
I cant see where on macca01's post him/her saying they were looking for a job.
Get back under your rock
bob felcher
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bob felcher » Mon Nov 21 2011, 07:00

did my conversion at Chinook in 2007. I allowed $10,000 for airfares from Aus accom Exams flight test and going out money which is what I was told it would be. Had a great time and Cathy is the sexiest heli pilot i have ever met.
Didn't learn anything on one flight I did with Andy so told cathy and flew the other couple of flights with her. Great people
Called in there a couple of years later and got some lunch with Cathy and Clayton, would recommend them to anyone
Also you shouldn't have to be a Rhodes scholar to work out why they don''t have credit card Facilities
the older I get the better I was
FerrariFlyer
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby FerrariFlyer » Mon Nov 21 2011, 07:15

I've several colleagues that did their conversions at Chinook and they were mixed reviews. One guy was very disappointed with almost every aspect of the training where as the other two were pretty happy with the overall process. Horses for courses!!!

I did mine with Coast Helicopter College with the owner whose surname was Reimer...ex Chief Pilot of VIH so a very experienced guy. Regardless, it's two weeks training and about $10,000 all up for a licence to fly and learn in an incredible country. Small price to pay over a small period of time I think.
Pegs
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Pegs » Mon Nov 21 2011, 20:34

nlnnOOnnln,

it seems you are saying that no one else is entitled to an opinion anymore, especially if they are in favor of Chinook, ease up a bit OK? just cause you had a bad experience doesn't mean others have, you have well and truly made your point, can you let it go now please and stop brow beating people.
A good idea needs landing gear as well as wings to get off the ground.
CYHeli
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby CYHeli » Tue Nov 22 2011, 05:16

nlnnOOnnln has now been banned on this site by another mod, and after having a go at me on a second web site (Dark side) he has been banned from there as well.

Let's continue to play nice and be constructive ladies and gents.

Good luck to the guys who get the chance to fly in Canada.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Tue Nov 22 2011, 07:21

Jolly good show old chap
rotorhead22

Postby rotorhead22 » Tue Nov 22 2011, 07:45

Did mine at Chinook. $5k US. In and out in a week and a half. No problems at all

Return to “International License Conversion”