Critical Decision

Join Matthew and the team as they trek around Australia.
chrisv_bladeslapper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Critical Decision

Postby chrisv_bladeslapper » Thu Jun 13 2013, 01:02

I Should have done this a long time ago, but i guess it is never too late....

background:
Early Days
Have been obsessed with helicopters and being a helicopter pilot since I was a child. I am now in my late 30s.
I do not have extra finance to really cover my aviation dreams, but do earn enough.
Have engaged in RC helicopters for a fix.

Somewhat recent
Started Hecliopter training out at bankstown up to circuits before i realized it all got too expensive at that time. (was paying around $450/h back then) and have 10 hours logged
shifted to fixed wing and gained my gfpt rating in 2006 and have flown to the training area numerous times... and it is boring especially with a plane.
have now prepaif ground briefings planning to get endorsed on other aircrafts upon ppl completion. .... have since held back on ppl course and the nav flights
went on an test flight on the cabri g2.

current
still have the ground briefing for fixed wing.
I really want to fly helicopters.
was ready to attend the ppl course for fixed wing so i can finish my ppl fixed wing and THEN move onto helicopters.

my issue
should i continue and finish my ppl fixed wing?
or bite the bullet and continue my rotary wing PPL?

advice anyone?
fearless_fly
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Critical Decision

Postby fearless_fly » Thu Jun 13 2013, 03:10

Hi,
A rotary wing PPL is only useful if you are planning to buy your own machine or have a mate who's willing to let you fly his.
I'm tipping that operators will not let you fly their machines with PPL hours due to insurance enforced minimums.
maxray
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby maxray » Thu Jun 13 2013, 03:59

I would certainly be finishing your ppl(a) then you only have to do 70 hours for your cpl(h) I don't know what the reduction is if you only want to do ppl(h)

That way you've got 2 lic's and haven't wasted the money on previous aeroplane training. You will also find your nav's easier during your (h) training as you've already acquired that skill with planes.

You don't know where you'll end up, but one day you'll be glad you've got the ppl(a)

If you've got the coin I'd do it,without doubt.
One day when your in your 40's etc, you might want to rent a plane instead to take family away...cheaper...faster.

My thoughts anyway. Good luck with it all as you need perseverance, if you've got another skill...ie mechanic, IT,sales,chippy and willing to be flexible you'll get a start.

Cheers
Cleanskin
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Cleanskin » Thu Jun 13 2013, 11:22

What do YOU want to do?
Not what Bladeslapper posters want!
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Jun 13 2013, 11:38

Hi Chris,

I've got both fixed and rotary licences, so I know what your going through, I actually enjoy both disciplines.

If it was me I would complete your PPL(a) as you've obviously put time and effort into it, don't look back and wonder what if, don't do a half job.:)

Then if your heart is still in it go onto you rotary training. Both require different skills and offer challenges in their own rights.

Good luck and go with your gut feel!.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
harold
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby harold » Thu Jun 13 2013, 12:04

Finish your PPL(A) and you PPL(H) will be significantly less. Do not listen to hard about not being able to hire as a PPL(H)...,,lots of schools will hire to you subject to a check flight naturally but make sure you learn in something that will be available for hire!
jumpdrew

Postby jumpdrew » Fri Jun 14 2013, 13:16

If you've spent that money on fixed wing already, then I would recommend completing the PPL A. Do a few trips away and enjoy the licence for a bit. Spend a bit more time socking some cash away and then get stuck into the Heli licence.

I love Heli flying, but if I want to go on a long trip, faster, cheaper, with heaps of gear and friends, then nothing beats being able to hire a gutsy, good sized fixed wing.

When you transition to rotary wing you will already be comfortable with nav, aerodrome procedures, radio calls, etc....etc, and its less things to have to concentrate on, saving brain space for the nitty gritty of chopper flying. I needed all available brain space.

On the flip side, I found initially I had brought a few fixed wing handling habits to my heli training, which actually didn't help me in a few areas. Especially during Autos and other emergencies.

I did my fixed wing a long time ago, but only finished Heli license last year. A big reason I held off was because it used to be difficult to hire a helicopter. There was just none around, but these days there now seems to be a lot of schools around and a greater willingness to hire out machines.

Enjoy it, both licences are worth having. It really depends on your personal circumstances ( desire, time and money ), so you need to choose.

Cheers
colby
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby colby » Sat Jun 15 2013, 04:25

If money is the issue and you don't know what you want then perhaps you should look at and other bobbie.
if you are passionate about flying go with your heart, you know which you want so now just make it happen! . . . . . or move on your only wasting your own time and money.
chrisv_bladeslapper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby chrisv_bladeslapper » Mon Jun 17 2013, 04:41

Thanks all for your input.

I have taken these on board and have certainly somewhat gave me a various angles to look at my situation.

Return to “Footprint Productions Heli Adventures”