NT Aircrew Position

bushman

NT Aircrew Position

Postby bushman » Wed Jul 24 2013, 05:22

Hi,

I herd that the aircrew position in Darwin only pays 62k a year and also to get endorsed on their BK you have to pay for it and make weekly payments out of your wage.
this seems strange to me as the rent in a place like darwin is around $600 to $900 a week the cost of living up there is so high but the wage is so low is this why it has been readvetised twice?. is someone having a lend of me?
Mred215
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: NT Aircrew Position

Postby Mred215 » Wed Jul 24 2013, 06:24

I got a call about that one also....got told the same thing about paying for a BK endorsement, and basically having to take a Careflight loan to do it. Not kosher.
bushman

Postby bushman » Wed Jul 24 2013, 07:02

Yeah i know right i was like wtf aswell! And if they wanted that then why did they not put that on the job ad! And as for the pay you would be going up there after you pay rent for a couple of hundred in your pocket to pay bills and the other living expences.
Zebt
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zebt » Wed Jul 24 2013, 21:38

bushman wrote:Hi,

I herd that the aircrew position in Darwin only pays 62k a year and also to get endorsed on their BK you have to pay for it and make weekly payments out of your wage.
this seems strange to me as the rent in a place like darwin is around $600 to $900 a week the cost of living up there is so high but the wage is so low is this why it has been readvetised twice?. is someone having a lend of me?

I'm guessing that any heli business in these type of areas has a real problem on their hands, the desire (need) to pay low wages to pilots combined with very high living costs. My boss got around this somewhat by buying the properties that our chaps live in, luckily he did this in the early stages of the boom so can offset the cost and pay 'normal' wages. I know of a few businesses that could make a viable go at starting up if it wasn't for the ridiculous costs. In my opinion there should have been something worked out with the mining/oil & gas companies and the government to make sure locals and local business does not suffer.
Accelerometer
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Accelerometer » Wed Jul 24 2013, 23:12

Why do you need to be endorsed on the helicopter? Not sure where it says in the regs that Aircrew require this. Do they mean your training as you become qualified to operate within their system? ie winch training, LHS NVG approval etc?
bushman

Postby bushman » Thu Jul 25 2013, 04:08

well i was not sure i think they where talking about a check flight the question was are you endorsed on a bk and i said for winching i have my current 29:11 and have worked out of BK's and currently work out of 139's. They then said to be signed of to work out of a bk i will need to be endorsed and with have to pay that out of my 62k a year wage.I dont know what its like with other companys but all the ones i have worked for put down all you need on the job app and then once you get the job if they require you to have other certs or qualls then they have always covered you.
Edward
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Edward » Thu Jul 25 2013, 11:08

seems a bit weird with wage and currency, but doesn't careflight have a track record for that sort of stuff.
bushman

Postby bushman » Thu Jul 25 2013, 21:47

yeah not too sure i have never had much to do with them but you would think being such a well known company you would expect a lot more hey!
skywire
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby skywire » Mon Jul 29 2013, 04:00

Apologies for bumping the thread but could someone please explain why aircrewman need what I see as a CPL endorsement? There's nothing mentioned about it in the EBA so I don't see how the above payment arrangements could be made.

Return to “Rescue Crew / Air crew officer / Winch Op's Required”