457 visas

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
way-out-west
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

457 visas

Postby way-out-west » Mon May 26 2014, 06:14

I recently looked at the immigration dep't pages under 457 visa. I was in disbelief that helicopter pilots were listed as being in short supply (skilled labour). I think we all as pilots should write to our local member and voice our opinion and ask why this listing is there. )c/ :?
rex bivouac
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: 457 visas

Postby rex bivouac » Mon May 26 2014, 06:59

Talk to the Canada boys, they are doing the very same thing!
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Mon May 26 2014, 09:59

One of the requirements of a 457 visa is that an employer must demonstrate that the particular skill set needed to fulfil a position is not currently available in Australia.

While there may be plenty of 1000hr VFR pilots around, there always seems to be a shortage of experienced ME/IFR captains.

This visa is not going to result in an influx of 150hr guys to fly scenics around the Rock or the 12 Apostels.

P1
nobul
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby nobul » Mon May 26 2014, 11:39

How else will all the Canadians get to come here and get work and take all your jobs?
Freewheel
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Freewheel » Mon May 26 2014, 20:52

Pohm1, incorrect I'm afraid.

If its an occupation on the list, that requirement doesn't apply.
Never forget that some people exist purely as a warning to others.
Zebt
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zebt » Mon May 26 2014, 21:03

Freewheel wrote:Pohm1, incorrect I'm afraid.

If its an occupation on the list, that requirement doesn't apply.

Freewheel, incorrect I'm afraid. :wink:

Any 457 visa issued is subject to the same scrutiny, the category of the listing only changes the way they process it. The company will have to demonstrate they have advertised for the position in Australia for a period of time.
I have been through this and have been involved in employment of people on 457's.
Freewheel
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Freewheel » Tue May 27 2014, 11:03

OK we're getting into semantics here;

Pohm1 wrote that the employer needed to demonstrate that the relevant skills aren't available. This isn't correct.

Zebt wrote that an employer has to advertise for a position before nominating a person for a 457 visa. This is correct.

They're not the same thing. You may advertise and still not offer a job to a suitably qualified person and consequently may nominate somebody else for a 457 Visa.
Never forget that some people exist purely as a warning to others.
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Tue May 27 2014, 22:18

I'm lost for words. :roll:

P1
Get_to_da_Choppa

Postby Get_to_da_Choppa » Wed May 28 2014, 03:08

The DIBP (department of immigration and border protection) and its legal systems have many similar traits to our beloved CASA and can be extremely convoluted, I am lucky(crazy) enough to be involved in both and am a registered migration agent/Pilot in training, if anybody requires any clarification or assistance in visa matters i would be happy to assist just drop me a PM.
Rattlegun
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Rattlegun » Fri May 30 2014, 22:39

Devils Advocate here: Wouldn't this policy, if used as described by Pohm1, serve to suppress local training and career progression?

(I'm not anti-immigration in the slightest, but this doesn't seem to fit with the intended purpose of the 457 program).

Rattlegun.
Banjo-Kazooie
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Banjo-Kazooie » Fri May 30 2014, 22:55

Rattlegun wrote:Devils Advocate here: Wouldn't this policy, if used as described by Pohm1, serve to suppress local training and career progression?

(I'm not anti-immigration in the slightest, but this doesn't seem to fit with the intended purpose of the 457 program).

Rattlegun.

It certainly does suppress local training and career progression, although it has nothing to do with immigration, since a 457 visa is not explicitly for immigration.
Zebt
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Zebt » Sun Jun 1 2014, 23:06

Freewheel wrote:OK we're getting into semantics here;

Pohm1 wrote that the employer needed to demonstrate that the relevant skills aren't available. This isn't correct.

Zebt wrote that an employer has to advertise for a position before nominating a person for a 457 visa. This is correct.

They're not the same thing. You may advertise and still not offer a job to a suitably qualified person and consequently may nominate somebody else for a 457 Visa.

Too true, semantics could describe the whole immigration/visa process!

I have now been through 3 different visa application processes, once you study the immigration dept's website in great detail all information is there, all questions are answered, if you need to call them they will answer usually within half an hour. I did all 3 applications myself and had no problems, it's just a case of following the instructions, no need to pay a lawyer $++ to do it for you. Also know loads of friends who have successfully obtained visas without any paid help.
I would imagine it would be tricky for a heli business to justify employing a non citizen on a 457.

Return to “Pilots Required”