Silver Wings

HAWCS - Observers

Postby Guy Incognito » Tue Dec 2 2014, 19:06

as350_nut
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: HAWCS - Observers

Postby as350_nut » Tue Dec 2 2014, 21:13

Has anyone had any experience with working for HAWCS, would love a start with them hanging out the door taking snaps if I can't get a flying gig, PM me :-) cheers
mdav
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby mdav » Tue Dec 2 2014, 21:34

Taking pics out the door is not all as easy as it sounds. About every two seconds your taking a pic of the top of a pole and in frame over and over. If you get motion sickness be prepared to be sick. As a observer your employed for just that and maybe after 3 seasons you might be considered a pilot role. They do heaps of flying between April and to October as that's when most the contracts operate. Also your responsible for all the data and need to review what you take which could be thousands of files. You work in a team on a rotating roster 3 weeks on with 1 week off. HAWCS will say it is a data company that has helicopters not a helicopter company that fetches data. Hope that helps
as350_nut
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby as350_nut » Tue Dec 2 2014, 22:41

cheers MDAV that's some good info, i was expecting something like that, it beats being in the oil field which is where i am now though :-)
Helicoil
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

HAWCS - Observers

Postby Helicoil » Wed Dec 3 2014, 02:13

To the best of my memory, the last time I was down that way they were using mostly MD500s for the work, with one contract requiring 500 hours PIC, other contracts requiring 1000 hours PIC (a client requirement). The JAFOs as they call them (the guys on the cameras) would build hours up by ferrying the helicopters to and from the jobs, with the designated pilot taking over once there. I was told I could anticipate somewhere between 50 to 80 hours a year ferrying until I had the required 500 hours for the first contract. So if you're fresh out of training, expect to spend a number of years on the camera with some ferry flying until you reach the minimums required to fly the lines. It is correct that they regard themselves as an information / data company that uses helicopters as a means of gathering the data.
Slapstick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Slapstick » Wed Dec 3 2014, 09:30

They've expanded a little bit since then. The operate 3 500's, 2 EC120's, a squirrel and a MD900.

They just took on a few pilots and have been conducting check rides non stop for the past week, so I imagine they are gearing up for another contract. I have never worked for them, I do know of someone that did, though. The ad is pretty much spot on, camera work with LIMITED flying. Good on them for being honest. PM me with any questions and I might be able to answer.
Guy Incognito
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Guy Incognito » Wed Dec 3 2014, 10:02

They weren't check rides. They've been endorsing all of the observers who stuck around from earlier this year. And also the observers and line pilots from last year who didn't have notar endorsements yet.
Slapstick
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Slapstick » Wed Dec 3 2014, 10:22

Well that's even better then. Good on them.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Wed Dec 3 2014, 11:42

What's the 900 used for?
Guy Incognito
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Guy Incognito » Wed Dec 3 2014, 20:06

Apparently the boss lost his drivers license and wanted a twin for family holidays...
SIR_SMP
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby SIR_SMP » Thu Dec 4 2014, 23:42

I've heard these guys are great to work for from the pilots

but I have to say doing the salary search on seek it pays somewhere from 40-50k

glad I spent all that money for a CPL

Stick to my office chair I think
zzodr
Silver Wings
Silver Wings