Simulators

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Kilcarnup

Re: Simulators

Postby Kilcarnup » Wed Jun 13 2018, 06:57

Twistgrip wrote:I’ve had P3D now upto V4 for 18 months (Microsoft FLight Sim for about 20 yrs before that) with most of the Orbx scenery add ons and Active sky weather and P3d is brilliant. As mentioned you will need a high end computer though.

Depends on what you want to do really but I’m guessing procedural flying and practice approaches. It integrates very well with AIP and Jeppeson charts as far as accuracy. If your planning on buying some accurate add ons with FMS like PMDG and Majestic software it would be handy to down load the Navigraph database add on to keep your cycles current I update cycles a few times a year.

There are some really good turbo props and piston engines planes from Carenado developers as well and are very realistic.

Any questions I’m happy to help.

Seems like it's a great way to go, I see their student price is also very reasonable. I'm considering getting this plus the Puma RTF so I can begin practicing basic flying to supplement my Theory stuff for now especially as I see V4 has the R22 included.

Would this setup be good for that or is it a waste of time/money? Would possibly pair with a VR headset (Vive/Rift, whichever has better support).
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Thu Jun 14 2018, 00:32

G’day Kil,

I’d certainly recommend P3Dv4 it’s a great platform. Whilst it’s perfect for procedural flying ie approaches and your basic scan etc I wouldn’t rely on it at all for any meaningful hands on training and developing muscle memory etc, this will come in your training.

I don’t have any experience with VR and Rift but it looks interesting.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Kilcarnup

Postby Kilcarnup » Thu Jun 14 2018, 04:48

Twistgrip wrote:G’day Kil,

I’d certainly recommend P3Dv4 it’s a great platform. Whilst it’s perfect for procedural flying ie approaches and your basic scan etc I wouldn’t rely on it at all for any meaningful hands on training and developing muscle memory etc, this will come in your training.

I don’t have any experience with VR and Rift but it looks interesting.

Cool thanks for the feed back
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Thu Jul 12 2018, 02:13

Twistgrip wrote:I’ve had P3D now upto V4 for 18 months (Microsoft FLight Sim for about 20 yrs before that) with most of the Orbx scenery add ons and Active sky weather and P3d is brilliant. As mentioned you will need a high end computer though.

Depends on what you want to do really but I’m guessing procedural flying and practice approaches. It integrates very well with AIP and Jeppeson charts as far as accuracy. If your planning on buying some accurate add ons with FMS like PMDG and Majestic software it would be handy to down load the Navigraph database add on to keep your cycles current I update cycles a few times a year.

There are some really good turbo props and piston engines planes from Carenado developers as well and are very realistic.

Any questions I’m happy to help.

I only started using Prepar3d not that long ago, Dammmm i like it, Ive spent alot of orbx scenery well worth it all.
Plus have a pro flight trainer puma as well.
So much fun
Just waiting for the VR to catch up then ill throw out my current one and spend more money.
helihangar
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby helihangar » Fri Jul 13 2018, 02:07

Has anyone used motion sickness tablets whilst in a full motion sim?

Any good?
Any tips to get over motion sickness whilst in sum training?

Thanks
Evil Twin
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Evil Twin » Fri Jul 13 2018, 02:53

G'day Helihangar

Yes I have. I get motion sickness every time in a full motion sim, never get car sick, plane sick or sea sick but, the humble box gets me every time.

I have used dramamine (non-drowsy) but its just 100% ginger, in Malaysia for the 225 they would hand out something, don't know what it was, at the counter. A couple of things I've found that really help are being well hydrated and having eaten, which sounds counter intuitive but works. Plus, make sure that the temperature in there is right as if you're hot it will exacerbate the problem. I found that being slightly colder than was comfortable actually helped me. I also go in with the mindset that it's not going to happen rather than expecting it. If you're struggling during a session I found that some IFR time helped as it was stable and predicable which settled everything back down, Sim instructor to thank for that.

If you do feel like you're going to blow sing out early. Had a sim buddy have to make a run for the bathroom after a session and I have had to get out myself also once.

Cheers
ET
helihangar
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby helihangar » Fri Jul 13 2018, 09:56

Cheers ET
I’ll give those suggestions a go.
bigglesbutler
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bigglesbutler » Sat Jul 14 2018, 22:05

Not sure if this has been said but sims generally have a different focus point for each seat. We found back in Aberdeen if the focus is between the seats on the centre point it alleviated the discomfort. Normally it would be in front of the pilot flying but that affects the pilot not flying. Ask your sim company about it next time, see if they can set it to centremifmit has one.

Good luck

Return to “Flight Training”