CAT A ops

Ask a question. Post an answer. Learn something!

CAT A ops

Postby 2763 » Tue Jul 9 2019, 06:04

Is there a point at or after LDP that the helicopter needs to be aligned with the touchdown point . The nose of the helicopter needs to have the wind within certain azimuth of it but with restrictions on approach and departure there needs to be a lot of pedal applied and crabbing going on to keep it into wind. Doesn’t feel right and in the event of OEI. you’d be heading sideways to your landing spot. Would appreciate the thoughts of experienced twin pilots
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: CAT A ops

Postby Fill-level » Tue Jul 9 2019, 07:12

Are you talking about a runway or vessel under way or stationary or a rig ?

Postby 2763 » Tue Jul 9 2019, 10:20

Rig, but it’s something that could be a problem on any site
Bront
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bront » Wed Jul 10 2019, 03:40

The only reason for the crab is so that you can see the landing spot. Normally doesn't need to be much, depends on the type of helicopter really. Straighten her up as you come to the hover. I tend to crab singles in a bit as well to get a better view. It shouldn't be enough to mess with your wind direction.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Wed Jul 10 2019, 08:33

Agree with Bront,

All to do with seeing the landing area, a lot of twins tend to have high instrument panels , compared to singles.

By kicking slightly off by the pilot flying , the visual sight picture is easier maintained
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Wed Jul 10 2019, 09:24

Giving it a little to much thought.. fly in balance and ensure after you’re committed you can make the pad.. land it safely in regards to wind direction and obstacle clearance..

Ive slipped it sideways onto offshore platforms more times than i can remember due to high winds from unfavorable directions and obstacles just outside the sector to ensure i keep my tail clear...

Postby 2763 » Wed Jul 10 2019, 10:41

Well ,that was a waste of time. I’ll stick to messaging pilots directly. I stated that crabbing was required to keep the nose within the parameters stated in the POM. Nothing to do about seeing the pad, but to do with being obligated to approach down wind and make a decision on LDP with very little showing on the ASI, and in the event of OEI having to get to the pad after LDP sideways.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Wed Jul 10 2019, 11:03

2763 wrote:Well ,that was a waste of time. I’ll stick to messaging pilots directly. I stated that crabbing was required to keep the nose within the parameters stated in the POM. Nothing to do about seeing the pad, but to do with being obligated to approach down wind and make a decision on LDP with very little showing on the ASI, and in the event of OEI having to get to the pad after LDP sideways.

If you quoted this on your original post , you would of got a different response , good luck coming in sideways after LDP
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Wed Jul 10 2019, 11:11

nice response and dummy spit.. good luck getting your info off PMs..

Now back to Origin 2nd half...
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Thu Jul 11 2019, 00:45

2763 wrote:Well ,that was a waste of time. I’ll stick to messaging pilots directly. I stated that crabbing was required to keep the nose within the parameters stated in the POM. Nothing to do about seeing the pad, but to do with being obligated to approach down wind* and make a decision on LDP with very little showing on the ASI#, and in the event of OEI having to get to the pad after LDP sideways.

My limited understanding would indicate that a “CAT A” (Performance class 1?) approach can not be performed downwind.* Is this mentioned in your RFM?
Most LDPs (Landing Decision Points), I’m familiar with, have a nominated IAS as a component.# Does the one you are using for your machine?
Bront
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bront » Thu Jul 11 2019, 01:10

Your post doesn't make any sense. I think you are saying you want to keep the nose into wind but approach downwind. So at some point you are going to be going backwards, facing away from the pad. Good luck pulling off a OEI landing, or any landing, from there.

And just for your information, it's all about being able to see where you're going.

Cat A is designed to be relatively easy on pilot and aircraft requiring the minimum power and control inputs possible.

Now if you explain yourself properly, we might be able to help you.

Return to “Helicopter Q&A”