A weighty question

Good Company to work for? What do they fly? Ask here.
Hunterz

A weighty question

Postby Hunterz » Mon Jan 13 2020, 23:38

Howdy all,

I'm a big framed lad starting to think about starting a career in Rotary. I'm 6'3" and pretty big across the shoulders, at my absolute fittest the lowest I got to was 95kg and was looking pretty unhealthy.

My healthy weight seems to hover around the 100-105kg mark, and even then I'm looking pretty lean.

Am I screwed? From everything I've read entry level jobs are looking for max 80-85kgs to fly an R44. I totally understand and respect that is the engineering specs and I don't have an issue with that.

What I am curious about though is there any other options for starting in the industry that isn't R44's in tourism?

Are my career hopes dashed before I've started?

I'd rather know now than drop 90k to find out later on.
Last edited by Hunterz on Tue Jan 14 2020, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.
Icefather
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: A weighty question

Postby Icefather » Tue Jan 14 2020, 02:39

It’s not impossible, just a lot harder. I’m 100-105kg lowest I got was 95kg.

I got a start as a CoJo in a multi.

It’s not impossible just the opportunities are a lot slimmer... (excuse the pun)
It’s definitely easier if your lighter, but it depends on what you want to do. If your dream is a R44 in the outback then maybe slightly difficult,
I know of bigger guys than me who have got starts some started in Ag, some similar to me.

However don’t get me started on watching feather weights rolling 200l Fuel drums...

It’s a big investment with not really a lot of quick payoffs.

IF
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Jan 14 2020, 04:51

Sorry, finding difficult to take this post seriously.

Firstly, how tall you are really doesn't come into it, unless you're 7' or something stupid.
Next, bald, really, there are no hairstyle requirements in any job that I know of.
Now the question of your life expectancy, you're having chemo, you must have cancer of some sort. Your chemo treatment must be knocking you around to some extent. Do you really think you could go to an aviation doctor and get a medical certificate. You can't fly without one.
Exactly who said that entry level jobs will only go to those under 85kg. I've be in the industry for 31 years and never been under 100kg.
Your chances of getting into the off-shore or EMS industry (co-pilot position) right out of flight school with 107 hours are ZERO.

So, with respect, you need to talk to someone at a flying school who will tell some actual facts about the industry. So far you have been given some very ordinary advice. Especially about the health requirements seeing as you are hinting you have cancer.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Chang739
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chang739 » Tue Jan 14 2020, 05:36

I think he was making a joke at looking so skinny when he was at 95kg, not that he actually undergoes chemo.

Also nothing about being bald?

I believe an R22 has a per person weight limit of 105kg, so you might need to do your license in an R44 or alternative, which means your training will cost more overall but I guess the plus side is you'll be more favorable for hiring with those hours instead.

Can't answer your main question though
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Jan 14 2020, 06:20

Original post mentioned being bald and the fact he didn't want to drop 100k on a licence.

Making jokes about life expectancy and chemo is in pretty poor taste.

I for one don't find it funny at all.

All in all a dumb post for a first one.

And I don't mean to be picky but max seat weight for the R22 is 109kg.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Chang739
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chang739 » Tue Jan 14 2020, 07:25

Thanks for the correct number, I knew it was somewhere in that ball park
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Tue Jan 14 2020, 09:23

I don't think the maximum seat weight will be the issue in an R22. It'll be the combined weight of instructor and student in regards to;
a) Remaining in CofG
b) How much fuel you'll be able to carry (particularly when entering your XC training).

Long story short; you can still have a career in this industry. Many have done it before you. It just won't be as easy for you as it is for others (in saying that, it's not easy for anyone). You'll just have to be a little ingenious and creative with your career path until you get into machines where it doesn't really matter (eg; maybe get a 206 endorsement early on in the piece and try get into the turbines a little earlier than others).

Good Luck!
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Agrimuster1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Agrimuster1 » Tue Jan 14 2020, 11:45

It would be difficult to get a job given the weight. Not impossible though. Most R44s I've come across have a useful load of around 430kg so aim for tourist gigs that do short flights over long ones. learn in a B 47 or a H269 for 2 reasons 1 you will learn more and 2 you'll be a lot safer. Although if you can afford to do it all in a R44 then that will help land the probable 1st job.

Don't forget the 1st job will be bloody difficult no matter your weight.
Combustion Chamber
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Combustion Chamber » Wed Jan 15 2020, 03:21

Mate,

Just go for it. When I started my training I was 95KG and never had issues training in an R22 or even getting my first job.
Not one for gossip, but did you hear about the???

Return to “General Employment Questions”