NVIS Hours

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

NVIS Hours

Postby NEWBIE » Tue Feb 25 2020, 01:29

Good Morning All,

Curious to see how/if any one has found any cost effective ways to get to the 50 hours NVIS required for an EMS start these days?

Im short I exceed all other requirements by a large margin, ATPL, 11 command renewals, heavy multi crew command, SPIFR, etc but <10 NVIS.

Instead of waiting for things to happen I am being proactive and investigating options,

I had previously looked into

1, hour building in the states on a NVIS R22, but this option is now closed to non citizen's due to law changes.

2, South Africa and completing it in a R44, while cost effective ~$600/hour, but it is going to require 3 trips in order to meet the SA license validation requirements.

Has any one tried anything differently or just suggestions outside of the box would be appreciated?,

Kind regards,
Kulwin Park
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: NVIS Hours

Postby Kulwin Park » Tue Feb 25 2020, 09:29

Professional Helicopter Services at Moorabbin Airport Victoria have a AS350 FX2 fitted out for NVIS & NVG, with an instructor dedicated to that role with a CASA approved SIM too.

Call them to see what their hourly rates are. Might be on their website too.

They also have a twin squirrel for NVIS as well.
huey
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby huey » Tue Feb 25 2020, 09:46

Hi,

I think Heliwest are NVIS approved. I could be wrong though.

Huey
Huey
Longrass
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Longrass » Tue Feb 25 2020, 13:24

Just double check the US again.

DDTC controls the exports of ITARS training. That has been significantly loosened in some areas. Regardless, it’s a relatively straight forward process to get an “export” permit to go and get trained in the US. The firearm industry deals with these permits a lot.

For instance I am going to do some firearms training which includes shooting at night under nods. Legally you require and export permit. Fill out the paper, state the end use and wallah.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Tue Feb 25 2020, 22:56

ALS wrote:ITAR is like many things legal: you have those schools that say "too hard" and throw their hands in the air. Others specialize in training foreign nationals and have both the experience, and the personal relationships with the right agencies, to make it happen on a daily basis. Other than USATS in Florida and STA at Kosice in Slovakia, Southern Utah University run NOD training on a 44 and have plenty of foreign students. There you also get the bonus of a campus at 5,700 feet.

To add to this Night Flight Concepts in TX deal with export and temporary export license all the time and train foreigners
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby NEWBIE » Wed Feb 26 2020, 10:52

Thank you all for the suggestions, currently interrogating most of them now,

Could prove to be highly advantages that America is doing fixed wing NVIS training with the Aus training agreement, finally a use for my ATPL-A!!!

If any one else is going down a similar road I have got a good lead with Westline in RSA,

Thank you all again for the help thus far.

havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Wed Feb 26 2020, 23:38

There’s also a school in Palm Beach FL that does NVG training in R44’s.

I’m surprised there aren’t any schools in Australia with an NVG R22 or R44 working the niche.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Thu Feb 27 2020, 09:58

Seems crazy that a company won’t hire purely because you don’t have ANVIS.
If you have everything else and they like the ‘cut of your jib’, I’m sure they’d give you the Rating.

My current employer gave me mine. I was hired without it. They gave me the trainING and I the flew ICUS until I had the required hours to go Single Pilot
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby NEWBIE » Thu Feb 27 2020, 21:14

You are very right Yakking,

There is always multiple reasons,

I just focus on the ones that I can control, that way if it comes down to 2 applications who have the same ranking, I am not the one with the 1 minus in the spectrum. I have a clear end state and happy to do what I need to achieve it instead of waiting for circumstances to serve it up.

If you know the enemy (eмployer and oтнer applιcanтѕ) and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

Sun Tzu/ and butchered by Newbie,

Just like everyone in this industry, we are in the pursuit of perfection.

I have been in communications with providers over 3 continent's, the last one is getting back to me at COB today and will share broad stroke overview of each for anyone else who may go down this road.

Thanks again for everyones assistance and input,

Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby NEWBIE » Tue Mar 3 2020, 23:40

Good morning All,

For anyone else looking at this path, what I have learnt, and costing,

Each where considered on ease of conduct, cost and value of training.

USA,
~$650USD/hour/dual to complete in a R44 with FAA pilot so you can fly on your AUS license as a validated license. Possible to use NVIS dual hours as ATPL or CPP flight test prep.

RSA
$580-700 AUD/hour/dual , in a R44, to validate to South African license requires submition of CASA license, sit air law exam, wait 3-6 weeks then complete flight test before flying NVIS.
Or apply for RSA Student pilots license and complete NVIS hours immediately as dual with out the repeated trips or extended stay in SA,

Eastern Europe
$350-380 AUD/ hour, in a H300,
This option is a complex one unless you are a lucky one like me who also happens to have DUAL passports to the EU.
If so PM me and I will share as it is not a simple explanation.

Kind regards,

KOALA
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby KOALA » Wed Mar 4 2020, 22:44

NEWBIE wrote:Good morning All,

For anyone else looking at this path, what I have learnt, and costing,

Each where considered on ease of conduct, cost and value of training.

USA,
~$650USD/hour/dual to complete in a R44 with FAA pilot so you can fly on your AUS license as a validated license. Possible to use NVIS dual hours as ATPL or CPP flight test prep.

RSA
$580-700 AUD/hour/dual , in a R44, to validate to South African license requires submition of CASA license, sit air law exam, wait 3-6 weeks then complete flight test before flying NVIS.
Or apply for RSA Student pilots license and complete NVIS hours immediately as dual with out the repeated trips or extended stay in SA,

Eastern Europe
$350-380 AUD/ hour, in a H300,
This option is a complex one unless you are a lucky one like me who also happens to have DUAL passports to the EU.
If so PM me and I will share as it is not a simple explanation.

Kind regards,

Thats is great info. Not looking at doing this any time soon, but thanks for sharing.
Aspiring HEMS pilot 8)

Return to “Advanced Training”