Wastegates on helicopters

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Wastegates on helicopters

Postby CyclicH145 » Tue Nov 3 2020, 23:26

Hi all

Having just sat a CASA exam i was presented with 10 of of 39 questions on wastegates. I'm keen to know if there's any helis operating with wastegates at the moment. I heard there was one in NT but its not airworthy.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Wastegates on helicopters

Postby skypig » Wed Nov 4 2020, 00:13

Typical irrelevant CASA question. Answer it the way they want and move on.
(The equivalent question would be “Describe the mechanical operation of a “trafficator”.” When conducting a driving test.)

The only popular Helicopter equipped with a turbo was the venerable Bell 47. Specifically the 3B1 model (Among others, including the KH1). Most became “3B1 ‘modified’” (Turbo removed.)
From distant memory, I think some Hillers were also turbo charged, with the wastegate spring possibly operating in the opposite sense. (Making at least one CASA test question “Wrong”.)

The Turbocharging was to increase performance at altitude and was appreciated in Papua, but less useful in Australia.
Robinson cleverly “derated” their engines for a similar reason. (Sea level performance at altitude)
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Wed Nov 4 2020, 00:45

The diseased horrible Enstrom I flew back in 89 had a turbo and wastegate. The turbo was essential, as the machine needed 29" just to be airborne. No turbo, fall from sky. Oc:=
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Wed Nov 4 2020, 01:04

Eric Hunt wrote:The diseased horrible Enstrom I flew back in 89 had a turbo and wastegate. The turbo was essential, as the machine needed 29" just to be airborne. No turbo, fall from sky. Oc:=

any still actually flying in Aus?
Ala rotante
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ala rotante » Wed Nov 4 2020, 05:31

CyclicH145 wrote:
Eric Hunt wrote:The diseased horrible Enstrom I flew back in 89 had a turbo and wastegate. The turbo was essential, as the machine needed 29" just to be airborne. No turbo, fall from sky. Oc:=

any still actually flying in Aus?[/quote.

One for sure in WA private owner, ugly to watch but nice to fly!
)c/ Old Grumpy but Handsome Man 8)
angrypalmtree
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby angrypalmtree » Wed Nov 4 2020, 06:20

+1 in NQ
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Wed Nov 4 2020, 10:12

angrypalmtree wrote:+1 in NQ

know who?
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Wed Nov 4 2020, 10:13

Ala rotante wrote:
CyclicH145 wrote:

know who?
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Wed Nov 4 2020, 19:44

CyclicH145 wrote:Hi all

Having just sat a CASA exam i was presented with 10 of of 39 questions on wastegates. I'm keen to know if there's any helis operating with wastegates at the moment. I heard there was one in NT but its not airworthy.

AGK is probably the most poorly written of all the CPL(H) exams. I remember one little gem in there about the cause of your brakes feeling spongey while taxiing your helo on the apron and later racked my brain as to exactly which wheeled machine a CPL holder might expect to be taxiing.

The best advice I can give you is: the guy that writes the exams is a fixed-wing guy that enjoys Bob Tait’s material very much. Pretty much everything in Bob’s fixed-wing AGK book other than constant-speed props and lift-enhancing devices can be found in the CASA helo exam.

No, it’s not ideal, but the way through it is not expensive.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Wed Nov 4 2020, 22:04

Wannabe60Driver wrote:

AGK is probably the most poorly written of all the CPL(H) exams. I remember one little gem in there about the cause of your brakes feeling spongey while taxiing your helo on the apron and later racked my brain as to exactly which wheeled machine a CPL holder might expect to be taxiing.

The best advice I can give you is: the guy that writes the exams is a fixed-wing guy that enjoys Bob Tait’s material very much. Pretty much everything in Bob’s fixed-wing AGK book other than constant-speed props and lift-enhancing devices can be found in the CASA helo exam.

Not quite correct , there are many exam question writers , who are approached to submit questions for the FCL exams .

But as written , it’s time for a question database update .
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Wed Nov 4 2020, 22:28

Fill-level wrote:
Wannabe60Driver wrote:

Not quite correct , there are many exam question writers , who are approached to submit questions for the FCL exams .

But as written , it’s time for a question database update .

Which is why i asked about are there any helis in Aus with wastegates......
Ala rotante
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ala rotante » Sun Nov 8 2020, 12:40

CyclicH145 wrote:
Ala rotante wrote:
CyclicH145 wrote:

know who?

Yup, private owner, WA ( very nice guy and very passionate) imported from US last year I have to say that much more comfortable than a Roby or a Jetty... ;)
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Sun Nov 8 2020, 12:44

Ala rotante wrote:
CyclicH145 wrote:
Ala rotante wrote:

know who?

Yup, private owner, WA ( very nice guy and very passionate) imported from US last year I have to say that much more comfortable than a Roby or a Jetty... ;)

ok, but not operating commercially.....just wanted to go back to CASA as ask if they can tell me how many Helis are flying around with wastegates.
Ala rotante
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ala rotante » Sun Nov 8 2020, 13:01

CyclicH145 wrote:
Ala rotante wrote:
CyclicH145 wrote:
know who?

ok, but not operating commercially.....just wanted to go back to CASA as ask if they can tell me how many Helis are flying around with wastegates.

Doesn’t really matter I guess, considering that it’s certified and it could be used commercially...

Return to “On the Job”