CERT III RCO TRAINING & 29:11 ENDORSEMENT

wanna be RSC

CERT III RCO TRAINING & 29:11 ENDORSEMENT

Postby wanna be RSC » Sat Dec 5 2020, 10:20

Hi guys , I'm a long time reader but first time writer looking for some updated info. I'm a civilian coming from a Parks firefighter Aus & Canada background which entailed me being in and around helicopters which has inspired the direction i want to head in to become a RCO.

My mate is an ex navy Air crew officer who went into Civy life with Babcock down in Warrnambool with Air ambulance and offered some advice to potentially try and get the 29:11 winch endorsement and pursue hours from their rather than forking out upwards of 50-70K for a course with "Toll" (who no longer do that training course?) or Life flight who i have been talking too and offer the cert III Rescue Crewman or obtain the Cert 4 air crewman which when you brake it downs a more extensive RCO course with better training.

shall i just fork it out . get a qualification with no hours and pursue companies from there... which seems pretty grim because i come from organisations where industry experience is everything even though you have a qualification it doesn't mean anything sometimes, or just try and get a 29:11 endorsement which i can't find anyone who just offers that alone? ... seems like I'm dammed if i do dammed if i don't . but other option which my family and partner won't love is joining military .!

Im a persistent and hardworking guy who has worked my way up the ladder in my field, but I'm looking for that next challenge so if there is anyone that can help me point me in the right direction ill be forever grateful.
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: CERT III RCO TRAINING & 29:11 ENDORSEMENT

Postby Fill-level » Sat Dec 5 2020, 22:55

Not as simple as "buying" the qualification , you will find a list of experience , recency, currency , the positions advertised by the big end of town, are for military personnel leaving or about to leave.

Don't waste you're money, go in the military and get it for free.
robaussie99
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby robaussie99 » Sun Dec 6 2020, 04:50

I went to lifeflight (Careflight at the time) and “wasted” 10k of my hard earned.

I had zero previous hoist experience, but around 200 hours of Heli-rappel (RFS) type stuff

Only a few short months later I had a job and I’m still a full time crewie, haven’t looked back. Paid off that 10k while all the others that joined the military for free were still doing their time and may still be if they started at the same time as me in 2011

That qualification makes you one step better than every other resume that has nothing but hopes and dreams.

Up to you, obviously. Just depends on how bad you want it.
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Sun Dec 6 2020, 23:13

"Don't waste you're money, go in the military and get it for free."

I don't see how joining the military will get you any kind of qualification for "free".
I can't see spending years in the military, and will be years, possibly putting your life on the line, will get you anything for free.
And it isn't easy getting into the military. It's actually much easier and quicker to spend your "hard earned".
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
pohm1
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby pohm1 » Mon Dec 7 2020, 01:57

robaussie99
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby robaussie99 » Mon Dec 7 2020, 04:44

Again, per my comment above, if you’re looking for a start in the industry and turn down an opportunity like that, you won’t get far. I’d be all over that if I was looking for a gig!
Fill-level
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Fill-level » Mon Dec 7 2020, 08:31

A first for everything .... Well Done PHI
Mongrel Dog
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Mongrel Dog » Mon Dec 7 2020, 09:22

There’s nothing beautiful about Broome at any time of the year. Great opportunity nevertheless and Gordon the bloke running the show is a good man.
Wannabe60Driver
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby Wannabe60Driver » Mon Dec 7 2020, 11:16

[/quote]
There’s nothing beautiful about Broome at any time of the year. [/quote]

I beg to differ. The Roey during skimpy hour is amusing and lounging at The Mangrove with a beer in hand is pure gold dust.
wanna be RSC

Postby wanna be RSC » Sun Jan 3 2021, 04:04

robaussie99 wrote:I went to lifeflight (Careflight at the time) and “wasted” 10k of my hard earned.

I had zero previous hoist experience, but around 200 hours of Heli-rappel (RFS) type stuff

Only a few short months later I had a job and I’m still a full time crewie, haven’t looked back. Paid off that 10k while all the others that joined the military for free were still doing their time and may still be if they started at the same time as me in 2011

That qualification makes you one step better than every other resume that has nothing but hopes and dreams.

Up to you, obviously. Just depends on how bad you want it.

Hey mate just clearing up your comment. what course did you complete exactly? cert III RCO OR cert 4 Air Crewman?
thanks
wanna be RSC

Postby wanna be RSC » Sun Jan 3 2021, 04:35

[Hey mate , saw your comment on my post a while back . What specific training course did you end up doing with (care flight/lifelfight) back in the day?
was it cert III RCO or was it Cert 4 Aircrewman ? and you said it ended up helping you get employed ? worth it you reckon? as having it at least gets my foot in the door
robaussie99
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby robaussie99 » Mon Jan 4 2021, 18:48

wanna be RSC wrote:[Hey mate , saw your comment on my post a while back . What specific training course did you end up doing with (care flight/lifelfight) back in the day?
was it cert III RCO or was it Cert 4 Aircrewman ? and you said it ended up helping you get employed ? worth it you reckon? as having it at least gets my foot in the door

It was actually neither

I did an “introductory crewman course” which is a 29.11 aircrewman cert, but doesn’t complete the requirements for either a cert 3 or 4. Any training is good training, and ideally having the cert 3 as an RCO is useful. If you’re really lucky and manage to find a way directly to an ACO gig like I did, having that 29.11 is invaluable.

I jumped on the rotary wing show podcast a while back with Mick, have a listen if you’re interested, you might find something of value in it

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/r ... 0447669206
horse94

Postby horse94 » Tue Jan 12 2021, 03:25

Any news from anyone progressing to selection for the cadetship?

Return to “Rescue Crew / Air crew officer / Winch Op's Required”