jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Missing helicopter north of Melbourne

Postby jimiemick » Sun Apr 24 2022, 10:07

Cleanme2 wrote:
jimiemick wrote:
Little Bird wrote:
Nice. Hopefully you can find someone who’s hot & tasty to get a visa/green card with and get into some work here, there’s so much work going on it’s crazy

Not sure the wife would like that pop; pop;

I do get a work visa for abit after the training. And spoken to a few operators already.
Not holding my breath but there is a hell of a lot more work there than here. So why not give it a go

Im pretty sure that you will not be eligible for a visa as you already have a CPL. Work visas, post training, are based on either training from nothing or from a non-professional level i.e PPL.

Worth checking before making plans

I’m not just doing CPL doing my CFII
So it is classified as a Professional pilot program.
And as I am so low hour I have to start from PPL and do the whole way through.
But my hours count to a lot of the requirements thankfully
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Mon Apr 25 2022, 11:02

I thought this thread was supposed to be about the unfortunate Microflite accident, not a thread on working as a CFI/CFII in the usa?
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Thunderbird_1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Thunderbird_1 » Thu May 12 2022, 04:24

skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Fri May 13 2022, 07:16

As expected.

A terrible tragedy that could have easily been prevented.

As I’ve mentioned before: I believe the vital action of staying out of cloud when flying VFR begins when the flight is first proposed, sometimes months in advance.

When operating VFR, deliberately flying into cloud, or so close to cloud that it can’t be avoided is as responsible and reasonable as flying when drunk.

“Aren’t we going to cut through it?”
As professional and safe as:
“I’m going to try a ‘loop’”.

Oc:=
Average joe
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Average joe » Fri May 13 2022, 10:52

Skypig I 100% agree staying out of cloud in a VFR flight is best planned on the ground, however it doesn’t always go to plan so a paddock or the side of the road is the next best thing. I’m not sure what you mean by planning months in advance, are you referring to training or SOP development? Not having a crack just a genuine question.
T-Bone
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby T-Bone » Fri May 13 2022, 12:30

An unplanned landing on a footy oval, or anyones block of dirt for that matter, who cares where and when, or how many people you’ve pissed off….it’s a far better outcome than this avoidable tragedy.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Fri May 13 2022, 12:48

Landed at the Kalkallo service station many of times waiting for the cloud to lift when flying a Jetbanger. Added bonus you can even get Subway sandwiches there these days.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
Enjoying It
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Enjoying It » Fri May 13 2022, 19:47

Another one of Mick’s great podcast came out this week all about weather.

It’s a little USA focused because of the guest location but has a lot of good points that might not of prevented this accident, but any extra knowledge surely can’t hurt.

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/r ... 0560269843
Kwyjibo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Kwyjibo » Fri May 13 2022, 23:27

We play as we train.

I cannot recall ever conducting an unplanned landing during flight training, and it certainly wasn't part of the syllabus when I was a Grade 2.

As a junior pilot I was in fear of an unplanned landing on private / unknown property, and the implications that may have caused. ( casa investigation, council fines, private complaints etc )

That said, I remember busting for a pi$$ on a Nav exercise, and told the student so. We landed the little 300 in a paddock, and the Owner came racing up in his ute.... To check we were ok. I felt scared and concerned and felt I had to bull$hit and tell him we had a warning light and I wanted to get out and check something...

So one suggestion here that we talk about some basic IFR - yeah maybe but need the instrumentation, extra LAME costs, theory, currency or whatever.

What about just a basic 'unplanned out landing' on private property somewhere during flight training.? - shut the machine down, see what happens. My older wiser greyer haired attitude would be to tell the property owner EXACTLY what we did and why.. avoid weather, save the Pax etc, give the training pilot confidence to do so.

Scenario - during a Nav ex, without warning and unbeknown to the student - instructor says - find a place to land in the next 2 minutes... Student needs to do so, and shut down, deal with a property owner if needed. 2 or 3 unplanned landings over the course of training and the pilot has a some confidence that he or she may not be drawn and quartered, executed and have their license shredded until the end of time..

Would the training school endorse that 'out of curriculum' sequence? would Casa? Probably not.

Ive always seen it as such a simple, costless exercise with such a massive benefit. Build confidence for pilots to conduct unplanned out landings on private property.

I haven't flown now for 10 years, so not sure what the schools' appetites for this sort of thing is.? Maybe it happens?

RIP all involved.

K.
Kwyjibo:\Kwee-jee-bo\ - n. - a bald, overweight, north amercian ape of below average intelligence
Gunga Din
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gunga Din » Sat May 14 2022, 04:26

Kwyjibo, what you suggest has a little merit, but involves some practice bleeding.

I know that I have always involved simulated bad weather on nav trips, telling Bloggs " that hill ahead is in a cloud, turn left now...keep going (couple of minutes).. more left... keep going (few mins)...slow down...make a U-turn...turn right...keep going.. see that area there? Shoot an approach to it." With a go-around, and he then had to find where we were and make his way back on track and amend the time.

No real training benefit from actually landing and shutting down - you might set the farmer's grass on fire, or damage a skid, or be unable to start again, or incur some serious wrath from a farmer.

I have landed many times due to stress of weather, once I even parked on land owned by a distant cousin, didn't know her until we introduced ourselves. Another time, the land owner invited me in out of the wintry weather and gave me a roast lamb lunch! Once we left an aircraft in a paddock, came back the next morning and a cow, with a satisfied smile on its face, had bent the pitot tube 90 degrees. Another time a flock of sheep decided we were a good thing to rub against.

CA$A prefers you to land instead of having to get the police to tell your family you are smeared over a hillside.
Arm, arm, I Gunga Din, the door slockt.
Kwyjibo
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Kwyjibo » Sat May 14 2022, 08:17

Hi Gunga,

Appreciate your comments, but my point was kind of - Do it in training before you need to in real life. Take away the fear of 'incurring some serious wrath from a farmer', as many will tell you. because as you say, its more likely you'll get a roast lunch ;) - Its one thing to throw a curve ball during a nav, and yep we all did that - with the aforementioned go around and bug out before the fictitious furious farmer appeared with his double barrel scatter gun.. But its another to commit, shut down, and hell, even go seek the farmer out for a quick Gday. -- Give him a story to tell. ( and yeah, dont land in long grass and on rocks..)

Just trying to suggest some alternatives and new options to increase pilot confidence to make good decisions. Somethings' gotta change though, or heaven forbid, I'll read this same topic sooner than any of us want.

Have a god one.

K.
Kwyjibo:\Kwee-jee-bo\ - n. - a bald, overweight, north amercian ape of below average intelligence
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sat May 14 2022, 08:28

Average joe wrote:Skypig I 100% agree staying out of cloud in a VFR flight is best planned on the ground, however it doesn’t always go to plan so a paddock or the side of the road is the next best thing. I’m not sure what you mean by planning months in advance, are you referring to training or SOP development? Not having a crack just a genuine question.

The mindset, and pressure to “push on” can be reduced when the flight is booked. (Or first discussed)
When some nice potential customer walks through the door on a sunny day and says - “would you be able to fly my fiancé to our wedding. It’s at a vineyard and they said they have helicopters landing there all the time?”

You should, in my opinion, give them an enthusiastic response and book them in, but include a firm explanation that you have no way of predicting the weather 14 months in advance, and obviously weather exists that we cant fly in. So do consider an alternate plan in the unlikely event we cant fly on the big day.

Regarding a flight like the tragedy we are discussing.
My advice: Have a firm discussion before strapping in. Be honest and say something like “The weather is not great. There is a chance we won’t get to the destination. I’m happy it’s safe to try, but if the cloud is too low on the hills (for eg) we will end up back here, and the helicopter flight time will have to be paid for. Do you want to give it a go?

These tactics are designed to make the decision to turn back, or worst case land out, a lot easier.

If you turn back a fraction earlier than is strictly necessary, no one knows. Turn back 1 second too late and you are on the news. (It’s happened to too many pilots and it can easily happen to you, if you let it.)
Ops normal
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ops normal » Sat May 14 2022, 23:45

Spot on Sky pig a technique that has made it so much easier in years past to turn around without the feeling of letting people down. This simple method also needs to be implemented by the people booking if it’s not the pilot which is something that has made life harder in the past for me. It’s difficult when people are still booking flights and you can’t see the windsock 100mtrs away.
bwm85
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby bwm85 » Sun May 15 2022, 23:54

skypig wrote:
Average joe wrote:Skypig I 100% agree staying out of cloud in a VFR flight is best planned on the ground, however it doesn’t always go to plan so a paddock or the side of the road is the next best thing. I’m not sure what you mean by planning months in advance, are you referring to training or SOP development? Not having a crack just a genuine question.

The mindset, and pressure to “push on” can be reduced when the flight is booked. (Or first discussed)
When some nice potential customer walks through the door on a sunny day and says - “would you be able to fly my fiancé to our wedding. It’s at a vineyard and they said they have helicopters landing there all the time?”

You should, in my opinion, give them an enthusiastic response and book them in, but include a firm explanation that you have no way of predicting the weather 14 months in advance, and obviously weather exists that we cant fly in. So do consider an alternate plan in the unlikely event we cant fly on the big day.

Regarding a flight like the tragedy we are discussing.
My advice: Have a firm discussion before strapping in. Be honest and say something like “The weather is not great. There is a chance we won’t get to the destination. I’m happy it’s safe to try, but if the cloud is too low on the hills (for eg) we will end up back here, and the helicopter flight time will have to be paid for. Do you want to give it a go?

These tactics are designed to make the decision to turn back, or worst case land out, a lot easier.

If you turn back a fraction earlier than is strictly necessary, no one knows. Turn back 1 second too late and you are on the news. (It’s happened to too many pilots and it can easily happen to you, if you let it.)

You hit the nail on the head Skypig. Further to this, when a decision is made not to go, all the egos need to stand down. To often a pilot makes the call not to go and another pilot steps up to do the job, often a more senior pilot. This pilot then bends and or breaks the rules to complete the job and is hailed a superior pilot when the truth is everyone should be sitting in the tearoom drinking coffee and patting the original pilot on the back.

The culture of bravado, can-do-it is, dick swinging or whatever you want to call it exists in this industry because not enough people call it out. Comments said to be made in jest are not contested, conservative attitudes are not rewarded and reckless, over-confident behaviours are often celebrated (not always officially, but the effect is the same). This doesn’t only apply to weather. The same applies to W&B, airworthiness, F&D etc.

An example: On more than a few photos I have posted on social media over the years featuring a machine tucked away in the hanger with the cloud on the deck I have received comments along the lines of:

“Don’t be a pussy……”

“You can see 800m, get out there”

When really they should be saying things like:

“Great day for drinking coffee…”

“Yup, good move! Definitely not a day for flying.”

Poor culture doesn’t appear overnight. It begins with the small stuff and slowly snowballs.

Maybe next time the airport is socked in ask your crew whether they think it’s a flying day or a beer drinking day. If the say beer drinking, lock the doors and shout them some jugs and a palmy at the local because there is a good head on their shoulders.
Enjoying It
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Enjoying It » Mon May 16 2022, 04:29

bwm85 wrote:
You hit the nail on the head Skypig. Further to this, when a decision is made not to go, all the egos need to stand down. To often a pilot makes the call not to go and another pilot steps up to do the job, often a more senior pilot. This pilot then bends and or breaks the rules to complete the job and is hailed a superior pilot when the truth is everyone should be sitting in the tearoom drinking coffee and patting the original pilot on the back.

The culture of bravado, can-do-it is, dick swinging or whatever you want to call it exists in this industry because not enough people call it out. Comments said to be made in jest are not contested, conservative attitudes are not rewarded and reckless, over-confident behaviours are often celebrated (not always officially, but the effect is the same). This doesn’t only apply to weather. The same applies to W&B, airworthiness, F&D etc.

An example: On more than a few photos I have posted on social media over the years featuring a machine tucked away in the hanger with the cloud on the deck I have received comments along the lines of:

“Don’t be a pussy……”

“You can see 800m, get out there”

When really they should be saying things like:

“Great day for drinking coffee…”

“Yup, good move! Definitely not a day for flying.”

Poor culture doesn’t appear overnight. It begins with the small stuff and slowly snowballs.

Maybe next time the airport is socked in ask your crew whether they think it’s a flying day or a beer drinking day. If the say beer drinking, lock the doors and shout them some jugs and a palmy at the local because there is a good head on their shoulders.

Hear Hear BMW85,

I personally would love to work for a company with this culture.

Unfortunately time and time again I see and experience the later.

Their is still many pilots out there that rather then support and another pilots decision to stay on the ground, they respond with the exact quotes you listed. They go ahead push the limits/rules and make the whole industry look bad for so many different reasons.

Unfortunately money is still the biggest motivation for many pilots/operators, and to get the job done no matter what.

It’s amazing how short sighted our industry can be sometimes when making these decisions, I’ve seen a lot of companies act like if they don’t fly this 1hr job the whole company will collapse.

When in reality even if they do upset and lose a client because of a no go decision, the actual cost to the company/pilots reputation is tiny compared to having an accident like this.

The AAAA did a great article years ago breaking down the cost of being a macho pilot/operator and getting the job done no matter what vs the cost of an accident to the company.

We can only hope more pilots and operators with these go at all cost attitudes still have the ability to change their decisions in the future, and realise the world is not going to end just because a job has to get done tomorrow etc…
Gunga Din
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Gunga Din » Mon May 16 2022, 04:52

In the mid-90s, a group chartered 3 choppers to take their people for Xmas lunch at the Fairmont in the Blue Mountains, deposit pre-paid and all the lunches as well.

On Xmas morning, the weather is gloop, but naturally the customers want to have their flash lunch. I took a chopper and headed west on a weather recce, got a bit past Prospect Reservoir and made the decision - no flying today.

The customers were disappointed, but accepted the decision.

All the pilots then grabbed their wives / partners and drove to the Fairmont in the pounding rain and low cloud, having a lovely pre-paid lunch courtesy of the customers and a good decision.
Arm, arm, I Gunga Din, the door slockt.
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Mon May 16 2022, 13:20

Kwyjibo wrote:We play as we train.

I cannot recall ever conducting an unplanned landing during flight training, and it certainly wasn't part of the syllabus when I was a Grade 2.

As a junior pilot I was in fear of an unplanned landing on private / unknown property, and the implications that may have caused. ( casa investigation, council fines, private complaints etc )

That said, I remember busting for a pi$$ on a Nav exercise, and told the student so. We landed the little 300 in a paddock, and the Owner came racing up in his ute.... To check we were ok. I felt scared and concerned and felt I had to bull$hit and tell him we had a warning light and I wanted to get out and check something...

So one suggestion here that we talk about some basic IFR - yeah maybe but need the instrumentation, extra LAME costs, theory, currency or whatever.

What about just a basic 'unplanned out landing' on private property somewhere during flight training.? - shut the machine down, see what happens. My older wiser greyer haired attitude would be to tell the property owner EXACTLY what we did and why.. avoid weather, save the Pax etc, give the training pilot confidence to do so.

Scenario - during a Nav ex, without warning and unbeknown to the student - instructor says - find a place to land in the next 2 minutes... Student needs to do so, and shut down, deal with a property owner if needed. 2 or 3 unplanned landings over the course of training and the pilot has a some confidence that he or she may not be drawn and quartered, executed and have their license shredded until the end of time..

Would the training school endorse that 'out of curriculum' sequence? would Casa? Probably not.

Ive always seen it as such a simple, costless exercise with such a massive benefit. Build confidence for pilots to conduct unplanned out landings on private property.

I haven't flown now for 10 years, so not sure what the schools' appetites for this sort of thing is.? Maybe it happens?

RIP all involved.

K.

Yup, be good to see that in the syllabus......as in more 'operational' flying
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Tue May 17 2022, 00:27

Don’t know what they did at your school - but I didn’t give the student 2 minutes - I closed the throttle as I said “practice”. (Not touching down on an unknown area - but a power recovery obviously.)

As far as “out landings” go - it should be fully covered (and tested on the final flight test) under “Confined area”.

If I was in autorotation with no engines running, the potential ire of a land owner would not be a consideration.
When I have had to land, under power, due safety considerations, thinking about the consequences regarding land ownership are very low on my priorities.

Places I have landed that spring to mind. Beach twice, sports field, golf course, clearing in the “bush”. Been lucky enough to never have an issue afterwards.
Obviously I didn’t land on the putting green, and the pax were welcomed into the club while we waited for the weather improved. But even if they had said “Land here and we will sue you” (assuming they were on the area frequency) I still would have landed, if it was the safest option. Seriously, “getting in trouble” is a consideration, when the option is hitting the ground inverted at high speed?
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Tue May 17 2022, 05:57

skypig wrote:

Don’t know what they did at your school - but I didn’t give the student 2 minutes - I closed the throttle as I said “practice”. (Not touching down on an unknown area - but a power recovery obviously.)

As far as “out landings” go - it should be fully covered (and tested on the final flight test) under “Confined area”.

If I was in autorotation with no engines running, the potential ire of a land owner would not be a consideration.
When I have had to land, under power, due safety considerations, thinking about the consequences regarding land ownership are very low on my priorities.

Places I have landed that spring to mind. Beach twice, sports field, golf course, clearing in the “bush”. Been lucky enough to never have an issue afterwards.
Obviously I didn’t land on the putting green, and the pax were welcomed into the club while we waited for the weather improved. But even if they had said “Land here and we will sue you” (assuming they were on the area frequency) I still would have landed, if it was the safest option. Seriously, “getting in trouble” is a consideration, when the option is hitting the ground inverted at high speed?

Spot on
Ops normal
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Ops normal » Tue May 17 2022, 08:30

Although the origin of this thread is tragic. There has been a lot of insightful comments that may just make people think twice in the future. Maybe even get people talking more about it. I hope that pilots and operators have made the time to sit around and talk about this accident and how it relates to there organisations.
Something that has stuck with me from my earlier flying days was the praise I got from a very experienced pilot for not doing a particular job because I was a bit worried about the weather, it positively reinforced my decision. Hopefully others here are lucky enough to be on the receiving end of good mentoring or in a position to share your years of experience for the benefit of your industry mates

Return to “I heard...”