R22/R44 computer simulator

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Living-instinkt

R22/R44 computer simulator

Postby Living-instinkt » Fri Dec 13 2019, 09:53

G'day,

Looking at getting a computer based simulator for the Robinson R22/R44 in hopes for a bit of training. I'll probably be using Plane X as the software but I'm struggling to find any hardware?

Has anyone used a home based computer simulator? How do you rate them compared to the real deal, controlwise?

Do you have a setup your looking to sell? Any ideas where to buy a new setup from?

Any info, suggestions or recommendations appreciated!

Cheers!
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: R22/R44 computer simulator

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Dec 13 2019, 10:31

I use Lockheed Martins P3D at home with advanced fixed wings incorporating FMS but only for the IF procedures. And occasionally a bit of fun!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyBWt2RmgC0

Fixed base PC platforms in my opinion are fantastic for IF procedures as you can use your current charts and approach plates, or if you just want to have fun or familiarise yourself with the cockpit layouts and procedures of detailed models that are on offer. I wouldn’t recommend you use it to develop any muscle memory as it’s generally unrealistic in this regard even with good hardware.

If your using X Plane have a look at this https://www.dreamfoil-creations.com/hangar/df22b2

Also have a look a P3D as a platform but also be aware Microsoft flight are developing what they call a “revolutionary “ home flight sim experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U0wDwaPsSs

I’d just do a few google searches and see what suits you best. It goes from basic all the way upto hardcore home sims with all the scenery, aircraft and weather addons.
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
cloudbase243

Postby cloudbase243 » Fri Dec 13 2019, 10:58

xplane and dream foil have an amazing set up for 44 and 22. The start-up procedures are so spot on you can Overspeed the engine if not started correctly. So great for procedural training. Xplane does a fairly good job at the physics as well. However for the best physics so far on the market, DCS seems to be the best for Heli especially when practising autos and other such things. DCS is free but you need to pay for the Huey package. As far as hardware there is a fair amount of options from a Logitech G940 set up or even a pro flight trainer PUMA setup. Like most thou, hold out hope for the flight sim as it is promising to be next level in terms of realism especially for the VFR pilot- the downside is it may cost you a bit more for a beefy PC to run it.
Living-instinkt

Postby Living-instinkt » Fri Dec 13 2019, 13:59

Cheers for the info and good to know about the muscle memory in that Regards.

I may wait for the Microsoft version to come out but doesn't seem to be any sort of estimated release date so I'm guessing it would be closer to 2021 rather than 2020.

In regards to hardware I'm in the delema of wanting everything to be the same as the R22/R44 like the cyclic ect but then I don't get the feel of the others. I'll probably stick with the Robinson style for now and upgrade later.

I'm not wanting a full cabin experience simulator but would prefer it to effectively be a 1 piece setup similar to the puma but for the R22
https://www.helicoptersonly.com/contents/en-us/d344_Page_367.html
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby Twistgrip » Fri Dec 13 2019, 21:20

Microsoft flight will be released in 2020. The issue is that it “may” not be released with the R22/44 in the base package and it may take awhile for add on developers to release one to the market.

I’d probably stick to XPlane or P3D in your case for the time being.

Have fun !
"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
jimiemick
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby jimiemick » Sat Dec 14 2019, 00:57

I have P3D, the stock R22 isnt bad, but also isnt great. its weird to go from a full cockpit in real life to just a screen (in my case i have 3x32'' curved monitors, its still just not the same, I have tried using my Oculus rift for a VR set up but I could never get the gauges to be easy enough to read while in flight.
In saying that though the scenery and flight dynamics have been great fun. Specially with small australia airports being developed.

I have the pro flight trainer Puma which is fairly fun to use, and easy to set up. but it will set you back near on $2,000 by the time you get it sent to aus then have the customs slug you more on inport tax.

The new Microsoft sim looks amazing, a friend of mine has a developer version and for a VFR pilot it is going to be a game changer.

I can try and find a pic of my set up and ill post it up
Helical
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Helical » Sun Dec 15 2019, 08:12

For XPlane the Dream Foil R22 hasn't been updated for 11 onwards, there is a thread on the XPlane.org forums where a few of us have posted up adjustments to make it fly correctly. VSkyLabs is working on a R22 (and R44 and R66) which should be awesome given the quality of their other aircraft models.

VR is awesome in XPlane and pretty good in P3d but as stated, the gauges are difficult to read as there isn't the clarity/resolution. XPlane has a VR zoom function so you can bind a button to zoom in so you can actually read instruments. Forget reading the subscale.

As for hardware, Pro Flight Puma seems to be the popular option for a complete setup without going crazy. There are a few groups on the book of faces for heli sims that have some good reading.

Return to “Flight Training”