AFT - CPL(H) General Knowledge

A place to have your say and ask your questions on anything in the Helicopter learning environment.
Skiman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

AFT - CPL(H) General Knowledge

Postby Skiman » Thu Jan 23 2020, 12:11

G'day guys

I'm doing my first exam on Tuesday next week (CSYH) and I've started doing the practice cyber exams with AFT. I've found several questions in the cyber exams which aren't covered at all in the book - particularly related to heli. For example, cyclic feathering, collective being the primary control for manifold pressure, etc. I've scoured the text book (which admittedly is 4 years old, but basic general knowledge just doesn't change that much!). I've also checked whether I have missing pages, and they're all there.

Im feeling confident to pass on Tuesday based on the revision tests and cyber exam results, but even those have duplicate questions in them! So in general, I'm not feeling like AFT Long Distance learning is a quality product (at least not for this subject).

Am considering buying the pilotpracticeexams yearly subscription just to give me a broader exposure to different questions, anyone have experience with them?

Also considering buying Ron Newmans online course because then I know I'll have all the correct, up-to-date, material in front of me, and I don't mind learning off the screen.

Cheers
jarc

Re: AFT - CPL(H) General Knowledge

Postby jarc » Fri Jan 24 2020, 01:41

I can vouch for Ron's OAT program.
Heaps of practice questions and the flexibility to use it on a computer, phone or tablet.
It got me through all of my exams except Ops, performance & flight planning (CFPH).
And it's pretty cheap compared to other distance packages which is a bonus :D

I found that AFTs distance course was great for CFPH. The practice exams were pretty close to the real exam.

Good luck!
Eric Hunt
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Eric Hunt » Fri Jan 24 2020, 07:45

Do you have any questions about feathering and/or collective having the primary effect or Power?
Skiman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Skiman » Fri Jan 24 2020, 10:11

Eric Hunt wrote:Do you have any questions about feathering and/or collective having the primary effect or Power?

Thanks for the reply. Not specifically, I've gone looking through the text books to find my own answers, I was just confused why those questions were coming up when they weren't covered at all in the Aircraft General Knowledge book. Raises a question "what else am I missing?!"

In the Part 61 schedule 3, they mention radio telephony and radio waves too, but neither of those were in the book either, and I havent seen a single practice question on them.

From the Part 61 schedule heli section, there is mention of stabilisers and trimming devices. I've found these in the Principles of Helicopter Flight book, but havent seen a practice exam question on them.

I just did a pilotpracticeexam quiz for CSYH and they had a question about what to do in the event of over-pitching, but that hasn't been covered in the book, and its not listed in the Part 61 requirement either. So im confused AF.

Confidence is failing, need to auto out of this one lol.
Helical
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Helical » Fri Jan 24 2020, 12:04

When I did AGK early last year (self study from an old set of AFT books) there were a couple of questions in the exam that I didn't recall from the books, but they were easy to figure out. One was about the reason for a horizontal stabiliser on a helicopter, the answers were pretty easy to eliminate.
CyclicH145
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby CyclicH145 » Sun Jan 26 2020, 13:21

where did u hear this? i was about to purchase

ALS wrote:The only other tip I can provide is that CASA have had a gut-full of the Pilot Practice Exam type websites and they're therefore trying hard to catch the rote-learners out. A lot of their questions are therefore designed to ensure you know 'why' something does what it does rather than a simple question/answer mentality. AGK maybe more than any other exam has several answer options that are incredibly similar as they're chasing an understanding of the underlying causes to a problem.
Skiman
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Skiman » Tue Jan 28 2020, 23:34

Thanks for the input and the advice guys. Passed my exam yesterday and was stumped by a handful of questions, but glad I made it through. For the most part, they were worded fairly well and highly aircraft oriented, with perhaps 15% heli. There were questions in there that were not covered in the Bob Tait or AFT texts (which was my concern all along). However, some of those questions were asked by the PPE tests, which gave me cause to go find the answer for myself and learn it. So for me, that small $190 yearly sub was worth it. Just having more questions written by a different person gives you additional confidence - once you do the AFT practice tests a couple times, you've learnt the questions and answers from memory.

ALS - will definitely do that down the track. Thank you for the offer mate.

Onto Aerodynamics next.

Return to “Flight Training”