Lowering Class E on the East Coast

Postby Gonsky » Mon Feb 15 2021, 07:09

'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!'
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Re: Lowering Class E on the East Coast

Postby hand in pants » Tue Feb 16 2021, 00:40

I'm thinking that they can have a firm "NO" from me. Bring it down to 5,500 but not lower. GA outnumbers the rest so why restrict the majority.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Niko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Niko » Tue Feb 16 2021, 02:10

hand in pants wrote:I'm thinking that they can have a firm "NO" from me. Bring it down to 5,500 but not lower. GA outnumbers the rest so why restrict the majority.

I'm curious to the reasoning behind your answer,

Class E doesn't prohibit GA Aircraft. Does not require a clearance. It provides ATC services, with hazard alerts to all aircraft. It gives IFR Aircraft ATC services. Asks VFR flights to avoid IFR Holding patterns and routes when possible, and all must fly with a transponder. The latter especially is good as it will greatly reduce the number of aircraft that don't carry radios/transponders across all of Australia, which in this day and age should be a requirement

What's not to like?
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Feb 16 2021, 02:15

ATC can do all of that now, without reducing G class airspace. They can make it mandatory to carry and use a radio same with transponders. If it gets off the ground, it should be properly equipped.
Niko
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Niko » Tue Feb 16 2021, 02:48

hand in pants wrote:ATC can do all of that now, without reducing G class airspace.

They can do this in class G, but in Class E this is a requirement for IFR aircraft. Thus VFR aircraft will benefit from this increased ATC service

hand in pants wrote:They can make it mandatory to carry and use a radio same with transponders.

They are doing this, by proposing to bring class E down to 1500ft

hand in pants wrote: If it gets off the ground, it should be properly equipped.

Unfortunately at the moment some people who own aircraft think that transponders and radios do not need to be fitted to their aircraft. By replacing parts of 'Class G' with 'Class E' down to 1500ft; anyone flying above 1500ft goes from should be having a transponder and a radio, to must be carrying a transponder and a radio

Forgive me HIP but I still don't see anything you have written that would oppose Class E airspace. So far you've indicated that you agree with the changes class E brings over class G, but you oppose the changes because you oppose changing the letter G to the letter E
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Tue Feb 16 2021, 05:28

Fair enough, but it's my opinion.

Return to “Flight Planning”