Babcock S92 Captains & First Officers

Need a Pilot? Advertise here.
Twistgrip
4th Dan
4th Dan

Babcock S92 Captains & First Officers

Postby Twistgrip » Tue Sep 29 2020, 09:00

"You can watch things happen, you can make things happen or you can wonder what happened"
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Re: Babcock S92 Captains & First Officers

Postby Saucepan » Tue Sep 29 2020, 13:43

Not a job vacancy, it's an Expression of Interest. Which means, the more that apply, the lower the salary they will advertise when the time is right. It is Babcock after all.
Yakking
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yakking » Thu Oct 1 2020, 10:33

It's amazing how requirements fluctuate.

"Back in my day", you could get a First Officers position with 750 total time.

Now you need;
-500 multi engine
-Instrument rating
-92 type rating.

It's just making it harder and harder to make the jump across from single engine VFR to multi engine IFR :|
I wish I had a catchy saying like everyone else...
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Thu Oct 1 2020, 20:01

Saucepan wrote:Not a job vacancy, it's an Expression of Interest. Which means, the more that apply, the lower the salary they will advertise when the time is right. It is Babcock after all.

Well... feel free to go join CHC. Or bristow.. see how long you last..

Oh thats right, they are constantly making redundancies..
driftwood
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby driftwood » Thu Oct 1 2020, 22:48

bladepitch wrote:
Saucepan wrote:Not a job vacancy, it's an Expression of Interest. Which means, the more that apply, the lower the salary they will advertise when the time is right. It is Babcock after all.

Can’t remember the last time Chc made pilots redundant
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Thu Oct 1 2020, 23:45

The Aviation industry is in the doldrums (All the initial descriptions I thought of were AO, but probably more accurate.)

I doubt it’s ever going to be what it was, even quite recently.

The Airlines are unlikely to build back up and run routes at a loss like they were.

Off shore is in big trouble:
1. Oil prices are low.
2. The world is moving away from Hydrocarbon use.
3. The oil companies and helicopter operators have started a “race to the bottom”.
(For EG, Newer/Modern Airframes. Experienced/“settled” pilots/engineers are no longer as important as the “bottom line”)
4. Many Aviation companies are no longer “Aviation based”, but “Corporate Behemoths” They have “Senior Leadership teams”, giant IT/HR/S&Q departments all “living off the earnings” of those that fix and fly the Helicopters. When there is not enough gravy, the only (lazy/simple) place to save, is Engineers and Pilots remuneration and conditions.

Who knows what the future holds, but it’s unlikely to be “good” if you plan on making a living flying.
As far as Helicopters go:
More and more jobs traditionally done by SE helicopters will be done by drones. Speciality jobs (High Voltage/power line slinging/Flying “mag” surveys, and tourism will be likely the mainstays.
ME IFR will shrink. Off Shore as described above. SAR and EMS will be the only “Stable” area, and due the limited number of positions and requirements including NVG will likely be majority Ex Military pilots. (No route for civies to get ME/IF/Hoist/NVG experience.)

If you aren’t in the industry - stay away.
If you are - good luck!
bladepitch
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby bladepitch » Fri Oct 2 2020, 11:07

driftwood wrote:
bladepitch wrote:

Can’t remember the last time Chc made pilots redundant

I can... I worked there 4 years and experienced it first hand..so have a lot of friends... other friends still there just hanging in..
Anti-Talk
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Anti-Talk » Fri Oct 2 2020, 14:13

Can’t remember the last time Chc made pilots redundant[/quote]

I can....... 31st September 2019 after years and years of voluntary redundancies and incentives to reduce the numbers of offshore Pilots they got rid of several at Karratha and Broome.

Not looking likely to be recruiting anytime soon.
Yankee
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Yankee » Fri Oct 2 2020, 20:14

Gee skypig, aren’t you a ball of cherry news! :roll:

LOL... as a pilot who lost his job this year I agree with you tho. I’m thinking it’s time I got into selling real estate. Have y’all seen the interest rates lately? Banks are desperately trying to give away money.

But they won’t give me any cos I ain’t got no job )c/
Don't think of yourself as and ugly person. Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sat Oct 3 2020, 03:00

Anti-Talk wrote:Can’t remember the last time Chc made pilots redundant

I can....... 31st September 2019 after years and years of voluntary redundancies and incentives to reduce the numbers of offshore Pilots they got rid of several at Karratha and Broome.

They, CHC, are recruiting currently: Co-Pilot positions based on Karratha (AW139) and Broome (S92). 8 month contract.
CHC are banking on there being enough already endorsed pilots, willing to accept the conditions, applying.
skypig
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby skypig » Sat Oct 3 2020, 03:01

Yankee wrote:Gee skypig, aren’t you a ball of cherry news! :roll:

LOL... as a pilot who lost his job this year I agree with you tho. I’m thinking it’s time I got into selling real estate. Have y’all seen the interest rates lately? Banks are desperately trying to give away money.

But they won’t give me any cos I ain’t got no job )c/

Just calling it like I see it. Unfortunately.
driftwood
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby driftwood » Sat Oct 3 2020, 08:42

skypig wrote:
Anti-Talk wrote:Can’t remember the last time Chc made pilots redundant
thats not now though is it, so I will reiterate,,,,, there are currently no redundancies for pilots at CHC

They are recruiting currently: Co-Pilot positions based on Karratha (AW139) and Broome (S92). 8 month contract.
CHC are banking on there being enough already endorsed pilots, willing to accept the conditions, applying.[/quote]
Saucepan
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby Saucepan » Sat Oct 3 2020, 12:50

8 month contracts is no way to live. Any family wants job security. I know times are tough at the moment, but office jobs wouldn't dare offer an 8 month contract. Pilots have set skill sets and that's all they're after. Once you have the minimums that's insurance and safety compliance covered, the rest is irrelevant. Good luck.

Return to “Pilots Required”