Ear infection & vertigo

Discuss and/or express your disgust about anything Aviation Medical
sam 34
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Ear infection & vertigo

Postby sam 34 » Wed Jul 6 2016, 07:33

Who on here has had an ear infection that has let to bad vertigo? I'm in day 6 in bed right no, & man it's not fun

It started with just a sore ear, that got worse after flying, then I got a bad headache & then so dizzy I would spew every time I sat up, somehow drove to the docs, got me on antibiotics & I'm a bit better but I can't see myself flying any time soon (I'm not a pilot)

How did you guys get over it? How long till 100%?
Jabberwocky
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Re: Ear infection & vertigo

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Jul 6 2016, 09:09

You need to clean your ears out more often mate ;)

Let the antibiotics run their full course and you'll be back in action. Don't cheat them, they do the job when allowed to.

It's important to ensure you change ear plugs regularity, the humidity inside your ear goes up a large amount when ear plugs are used. Noting that you've got something going on in your middle ear here, it's probably started from a throat infection, flu etc.
ROTOR WORK
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby ROTOR WORK » Thu Jul 7 2016, 07:03

Hi Sam
I had an inner ear infection back in May. (For the first time I can remember)
Like Jabba said, mine started with a head cold.
It developed into almost 2 weeks of pain. I could not put my left ear on a pillow, had to sleep sitting up.
8 days off work, 3 lots of antibiotics, almost better after the first lot & the Doc gave me antibiotic ear drops that sent me back to square 1. It was 3 weeks before I was 100%, I couldn't work underground or go flying.
I didn't get vertigo, my ear was totally blocked for 7 days, and didn't rupture.

Get well soon
Regards R W
arrrj
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby arrrj » Thu Jul 7 2016, 08:12

Sam,

I am a pilot, and had vertigo on / off for a week or so years ago - without being (otherwise) ill at all. Horrible thing to get.

In my case it's called "Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo". I got over it - something to do with the crystals in your ear.

Really nasty, and I hope you feel better soon.

Arrrj
sam 34
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby sam 34 » Thu Jul 7 2016, 09:23

Thanks guys, yeh it's bloody awful, I'm on the 2 round of antibiotics & it's been a week now, went to the doc again today & they gave me another week off, so I should be good to fly by then

I really never knew how a simple ear thing could put ya out of action so easy, if anyone has a small ear ache I'd recommend getting it looked at because it's not worth the risk of this happening you you

Thanks guys!

Return to “Medical Talk”