Buyer Beware:David "cutty" Mclean The Drone Shop

UAV's, drivers, builders and the regulations.
Eastwoodblade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Buyer Beware:David "cutty" Mclean The Drone Shop

Postby Eastwoodblade » Mon Jan 18 2016, 13:05

Okay Guys/Girls, this is a warning to all UAV operators both currently in the industry and potential UAV'ers thinking of commiting to purchasing equipment, both small or large investments.

Playing with the idea of shouting myself a quad copter around my birthday in October last year. Made contact with David in the brothel of a shop on Smith Street Southport on the Gold Coast at the end of October and commited to a drone build in the first week of November. Not to judge a book by the cover, and with numerous feedback from so called reputable people touting his expertise , I commited to puchasing a small DJI 450 with all the fruit including the new Head Play HD goggles. Total came to $1632 and ETA build time was 2 weeks max. Since then its been lots of excuses, backorder stories, out of stock controllers and then him being un-contactable. As of Friday the 15th, the shop has been cleaned out and looks like "operation:runner" was carried out between 12th and 15th of January. There has since been a post on the "shops" facebook page with a lovely couple coming foward with their similar recent dealings with Dave albeit a much larger investment then mine at over 25k. This along with another 2 people having issues with David are the current numbers we have and would like to here of more if you are experiencing them. Whats interesting is that some prominent people in the industry have given me feedback and their stories simply don't match - you know who you are ;)

Flat out name and shame - David, you have been able to do what you do based on one thing - knowledge collateral. People's feedback is powerful and we have all based our decision and hard earned money on the fact that you are a go to man for this burgeoning industry. Unless its due for some unforseen circumstances in your personal life (we are all human) or better still this being a whole misunderstanding but NOT communicating is possibly THE worst thing you can do, and even then its pretty obvious your avoiding the issues at hand. The connection you have with a prominent film production company has been noted along with other suppliers (names will be released in due course if they are found to be conspiring with you) on the Gold Coast and it's only a matter of time before your caught out mate. If your reading this, man up and give back our $$$$$

Wow, the UAV industry is really taking off huh?! This is going to happen more and I'm only waiting to see what interesting experiences people have with suppliers, let alone the training and qualification side of the industry pop;

David Mclean (also goes by "Cutty) he's approx. 6ft. beard, kinda like John Goodman and smokes like a chimney (CASA should have made him do a beep test for his controllers certificate -Fail) He's connected with a lot of people on the Gold Coast so remember, keep your hard earned money to your self, you deserve to spend it wisely like on another type endorsement :lol:
Rotary as in not the Wankel engine...
Gaffer

Re: Buyer Beware:David "cutty" Mclean The Drone Shop

Postby Gaffer » Mon Feb 1 2016, 09:13

Hi eastwoodblade, I left a Dji phantom vision 2+ in with mr McLean to get my camera repaired just before xmas. I've been trying to contact him this last 2weeks but to no avail. I only discovered today that he has jumped ship. I have reported everything to the police and I hope you do so too. This scumbag needs to be caught.
SuperSix1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SuperSix1 » Mon Feb 1 2016, 22:30

I trained him on a Basic RPAS course I was teaching for a NSW based school last year. He was a good student and really helpful to his course-mates. I then paid him to do some repair work for me on some hex's and they came back sweet. He did some subsequent builds for me and he seemed the best option in Qld.

As a result, I recommended him to some other industry contacts, and continued putting my own work through him when I needed it. I point this out because there were no indications of a problem. He had even employed a second tech who I also trained on basic RPAS late last year.

Now clearly something has gone seriously pear-shaped. I have tried contacting him for some months now to no avail. He only has a small sum of mine and some gear, but others are owed many thousands. I am aware that the couple I think would be owed the most by him have gotten hold of him legally and intend to pursue him to resolution, which last I heard from them, he committed to pay back... It would be helpful for some I think if someone has postal details at least.... Maybe if you have that, let people know to PM you for it so all have the chance to get their gear and/or money back.

I don't know who the filming company is or who the other industry players are, but I don't for a moment think that they are complicit with David McLean in any way. When there are two or three shops in all of Qld that can do serious builds / repairs, and you already have bad feedback on one of them, your options when asked to recommend are seriously limited. From the evidence that was available, Dave McLean was the clear choice up until late last year... not anymore.

It is very disappointing. The only advice I can now give is CoD only...
Gaffer

Postby Gaffer » Tue Feb 2 2016, 02:22

@supersix1 there is no use in COD when I left my drone in for a minor repair and he has done a runner with it. He will be caught one way or another..
SuperSix1
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby SuperSix1 » Tue Feb 2 2016, 03:45

What on earth can he possibly be doing with all the repair drones that were in his shop? No sightings on ebay or gumtree I hope...
flighttech
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby flighttech » Tue Feb 2 2016, 17:43

He works at the model shop in Coomera part time.

His last know address was in fortune street Coomera about number 20. Info is about 18 months old.
Eastwoodblade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Eastwoodblade » Wed Feb 3 2016, 04:18

Dave has developed a unique skillset and I do believe has developed good working knowledge regarding the service of these craft but I have discovered there are others.

Yes, I would like to confirm there was a marked change, especially when the shop was packed up and he would NOT return any calls. I personally will not be dealing with him ever again.

I would like to confirm that my monies have been returned simply because the form of payment I opted for was processed by a different operator (Credit card) and also shows the integrity of that company - Thank-you for your patience.
Dave was unable to return the money himself as he simply didn't have it - what he did with it is anyone's guess :cry:

I would also like to confirm no monies have been returned to anyone who has contacted me regarding what they are owed - He will simply not return their calls.

There is a lot more I would like to say but nothing positive so I'll leave it with the above :wink:
Rotary as in not the Wankel engine...
b3n.n3lson
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby b3n.n3lson » Fri Mar 4 2016, 08:49

Just wondering if anyone has heard from this guy of late and if they know we're he's tied up? I am still chasing the 16k he owes us.
Ben

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return !
Piros

Postby Piros » Mon Mar 14 2016, 04:10

Well ad me to the list. The worst part is I really considered Dave a friend . I have dealt with him when he first started at Rippit in Coomera , he built and repaired heaps of my drones. I had such a good relationship with him I was going to use his Neptune waterproof drone exclusively in my surf movies and actively promote it. In Daves shop I had a 3/4 built Tarot hex 800 , fully functional 550 , Phantom 2 , plus other small drones and my DX -18 transmitter.

It's now all gone , plus I never got my Neptune . I had to recently buy an Inspire one as I'm off to Fiji again in a few weeks for another movie. Dave did come out with me a couple of times and film a couple of projects while he was working on the Neptune. I did frequently loose contact with him for a few weeks but he would always surface and assure me all is good.

It's now over 2 months , the real sad part is I really liked his kids as well. I'm just more disappointed than p!ssed off... plus I am still hopefull.....

Rob Pirie
Land Behind , Fish Below , Stories Ahead.
simsurf

Postby simsurf » Fri Sep 2 2016, 21:55

I found this post looking for daves contact details. He did a few builds and repairs for me too, and its disappointing to read all this. So does anyone know a place in SE queensland that can do repairs?
Blade
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Blade » Tue Jan 17 2017, 23:40

There is not one. A number of shops do ad-hok repairs. Rippit in Helensvale had a handy bloke but only worked a couple of days a week. The best way to get a quick repair is to get onto the forums and ask otherwise its back to the vendor.
simsurf

Postby simsurf » Tue Jan 17 2017, 23:47

Yeah Dave mclean was that guy until he went out on his own lol...And I've asked with no reply except ripit...i know ripit!...There has to be other people around ..But apparently not.
Chopper Guy
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Chopper Guy » Wed Jan 18 2017, 03:36

My mate works for UAS Pacific (Brisbane based) and they do UAV repairs.

They might be able to help... www.uaspacific.com

CG

Return to “Unmanned Aircraft Systems”