SMS courses

Endosements, Ratings and Certificates.
pigdog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

SMS courses

Postby pigdog » Wed Jun 17 2015, 03:49

Who provides SMS courses that have an aviation content. I know Southpac do but they have cancelled an intended course in Wellington so am high and dry at the mo with a need to get this under my belt.
muppet
1st Dan
1st Dan

Re: SMS courses

Postby muppet » Wed Jun 17 2015, 05:40

Hi pigdog. What is it exactly that you want to 'get under your belt'? Are you required to attend an SMS course to tick someone's box? (Sorry, that wasn't supposed to sound rude...)

You are no doubt aware CAA run intro courses from time to time, albeit at a pretty basic level. Aerosafe seem to have had a significant degree of influence in how CAA has drafted its recommended structure so they may have something running somewhere? Otherwise, just get stuck into the material on the CAA website, check out NPRM for AC100, and if you are really having trouble falling asleep, dig up the ICAO guidelines (Annex 19 or whatever it was called), a sure cure for insomnia.
http://www.caa.govt.nz/SMS/index.htm

Main thing to bear in mind, SMS ain't rocket science, although some folk may make out like it is.
pigdog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby pigdog » Wed Jun 17 2015, 06:46

Thanks Muppet, Rocket science is what people are making it including the one's that want the box ticked, funny thing is those same people haven't a bloody clue what is SMS is, sooooo all I,m looking for is something that produces a certificate of some kind but a little more advanced than what CAA are offering, all be their efforts are really good but doesn't quite get near whats required for the position of QAS manager or evan flight safety officer, both terms that are still a little foreign to the NZ GA fraternity..sorry, I don't work here as many of the BS faithful know.
ICAO is really good but as you say zzzzzz.....but is great for reference. Aerosafe sounds good and will as soon as I press submit here check them out. I'm wondering if a risk assessment course might be more beneficial and cost effective... bloody hell that sounds like some one in management... can't be me!!! Anywho thanks and if any one has more advice then please let me know..

Pig :?
pigdog
Gold Wings
Gold Wings

Postby pigdog » Wed Jun 17 2015, 07:08

Yep Aerosafe look like the bomb, cheers Muppet
torque effect
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby torque effect » Thu Mar 14 2019, 07:53

Has anyone undertaken a similar course in Australia? a google search shows this https://southpac.biz/courses/safety-man ... ms-course/
I'd be interested to hear of others experiences or alternatives. Thanks
SlatteryHelicopters

Postby SlatteryHelicopters » Thu Mar 14 2019, 09:30

Currently doing Southpac course in Sydney. It goes for 5 days...To do the SMS course or to become the SMS Manager is not just a tick in the box.
Highly recommend the course, good instructor, good content, lots to learn.
torque effect
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby torque effect » Tue Mar 19 2019, 09:05

Thanks Slattery, that's useful feedback
torque effect
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby torque effect » Sun Mar 31 2019, 06:51

Does anyone know of any courses run in Melbourne, ideally later this year? I can't get any response from Southpac to my emails and am currently O/S so can't call them easily.

Return to “Advanced Training”