Satellite fire detection

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Heliduck
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Satellite fire detection

Postby Heliduck » Sat Mar 13 2021, 22:26

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-03-14/bushfires-detecting-them-from-space-fireball-satellite-launch/13203470

I like the idea of finding the ignition early, but I’m guessing that the Fire experience level of the ANU propellor heads who think a glider drone can put out a tree stump is limited to blowing out the incense candle as they strap up their man bun. :roll: )c/
"Plan twice...Fly once"
Gunga Din
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: Satellite fire detection

Postby Gunga Din » Sun Mar 14 2021, 05:16

Hmm.. 3 gallons of water from a parachuted drone will really do the job - if it is your BBQ that is burning the sausages. That's if the parachuted item can arrive accurately in the turmoil of rising smoke.
Arm, arm, I Gunga Din, the door slockt.
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Sun Mar 14 2021, 08:48

Interesting that there is potential to spot an ignition in about a minute from a satellite.
How they plan on potentially deploying the parachute drone from a C130 to be over target before the threat has spread is another story. Anyone who has worked bush fires know the activation, deployment of and time to get over the scene takes a very long time with these LATs, so much so that within that time buggsy in his 206 has already emptied his tea cup bambi multiple times, extinguished the inferno, returned to base, on to his third Blend 43 and been hailed a hero.
BUT, all that being said we are talking LATs and they are the be all end all to aerial fire fighting.
havick
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby havick » Sun Mar 14 2021, 11:40

Hello Pilots, so I used to have your mentality regarding lats many years ago, but after working along side a Coulson C130 circa 2014ish It changed my perception.

Don’t forget that the cost of LATS make B212’s and UH70’s etc look like a bargain.
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."
hand in pants
4th Dan
4th Dan

Postby hand in pants » Mon Mar 15 2021, 01:54

Very typical of the abc to use this story to promote their climate change garbage.
I do believe that in the not too distant future there will be accurate, quick satellite detection of fires. Putting them out within 5 minutes, they're dreaming.
If we really want to reduce fire risk, reduce the ground fuel that the greenies let build up year after year by limiting the amount of HR burns RFS can do.
Hand in Pants, I'm thinking, my god, that IS huge!!!!!!!!
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Mon Mar 15 2021, 07:59

havick wrote:Hello Pilots, so I used to have your mentality regarding lats many years ago, but after working along side a Coulson C130 circa 2014ish It changed my perception.

Don’t forget that the cost of LATS make B212’s and UH70’s etc look like a bargain.

Then you'd know how long it takes for the decision to be made to pull the trigger (although they are now flavour of the month so Rick wants to see the asset flying) on deploying the machine to arriving on target......That was my point, the fantastical glider-chute is nothing but a dream.

Not here to bag out the LAT, the crews on the ground do a good enough job of that.

Return to “On the Job”