ADF to CASA Flight Hours Adjustment

General stuff that gets thrown about when Helicopter Pilots shoot the Breeze.
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

ADF to CASA Flight Hours Adjustment

Postby Queestce » Fri Apr 15 2022, 02:11

G'day all,

I recall that CASA previously recognised that the ADF log hours differently to civil pilots (not chock-chock) and as such applied a dispensation that allowed military aircrew to add 0.1 hrs (I think) to each military sortie for the purposes of converting hours across for civil qualifications.

Looking through the CASR and MOS I can no longer find that tag line. It seems like perhaps it has been removed, as I found some record of that from 2020.

I wondered if anyone on here is aware of the current status of that agreement? If there's a CASR reference I am missing I'm all ears (or eyes...).

Any insight much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tk
Capt Slong
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Re: ADF to CASA Flight Hours Adjustment

Postby Capt Slong » Fri Apr 15 2022, 23:16

Allowing ADF Pilots to put more Hr's in their book because they flew for Defence is BS. Just goes to prove why (In some cases) ADF chaps struggle in the utility and GA world where you have to think and act weighing up both safety of mission and the commercial aspect all by yourself. Personally if someone turns up with extra hours in their logbook but haven't done the seat time it not only shows in their flying but does them a disjustice and makes a mockery of the guys doing the hard yards and coming up through the ranks.

Happy Easter All, Fly safe
ballslapper
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby ballslapper » Fri Apr 15 2022, 23:31

They have done the 'seat time' as you put it, it's just (or was) an adjustment recognising that the ADF guys n Gals log chocks off to chocks in rather than start to shut down. 0.1 isn't unreasonable IMHO, often the difference is probs more like 0.2 or more so just ease up on the anti ADF rhetoric....BTW, plenty of civvy background guys struggle in the utility, GA world as well...it comes down to the individual.

Queestce, not sure what the deal is these days but hpefully you find the answer.

Cheers and yes, happy easter.
hench

Postby hench » Sat Apr 16 2022, 08:29

Wow, all the kiwis over here should get the same privileges in that case! pop; pop;
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Sat Apr 16 2022, 10:19

ballslapper wrote:They have done the 'seat time' as you put it, it's just (or was) an adjustment recognising that the ADF guys n Gals log chocks off to chocks in rather than start to shut down. 0.1 isn't unreasonable IMHO, often the difference is probs more like 0.2 or more so just ease up on the anti ADF rhetoric....BTW, plenty of civvy background guys struggle in the utility, GA world as well...it comes down to the individual.

Queestce, not sure what the deal is these days but hpefully you find the answer.

Cheers and yes, happy easter.

Thanks mate, that's the ticket. The 0.1 represents an undercut. I've spent countless hours sitting on deck turning and burning, making plenty of decisions, without a minute logged for it.

I had forgotten that the Kiwi's logged chock to chock also. It's a funny thing to not have more standardised.

Happy Easter.
UnObvious
1st Dan
1st Dan

Postby UnObvious » Sat Apr 16 2022, 15:48

In Canada it's Hobbs time. I put 9.9 in my logbook (Hobbs) the other day but it was 12.7 from start to stop. Maybe the Canadians that come over should be adding a few 0.1s as well?

While I agree you're in command of the aircraft while it's running on the ground and therefore responsible for what happens, it's not exactly flight experience is it? And isn't that what the number in your logbook is supposed to represent?
Hello Pilots
3rd Dan
3rd Dan

Postby Hello Pilots » Sun Apr 17 2022, 03:39

Bet you invoiced 12.7 though :wink:
LVDT
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby LVDT » Sun Apr 17 2022, 06:50

In the "gown up" countries - pilot logs "Block" time which is rotor start to stop "for the purposes of flight" when you are at the helm. i.e. Maintenance grounds do not count

"Flight Time" which is mostly when it is off the ground - although some manufacturers have different ideas - is what goes in the MR.

Based on the above just adding a couple of "k" to my logbook as we speak!
hench

Postby hench » Sun Apr 17 2022, 09:51

Maybe the rest of the world should model there Regs off Australian regs since they are the most “grown up” pop;

Personally the way i see it” When in Rome do what romans do” log the hours as per the country, adf requirements etc etc. Any employer will soon know through a check ride your ability to do the job! Hours are not everything!
Bee3
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby Bee3 » Mon Apr 18 2022, 00:32

Hello Pilots wrote:Bet you invoiced 12.7 though :wink:

The season sure had started early this year !

Who cares what you log it’s what goes on the flight ticket that matters…
baffler15
Silver Wings
Silver Wings

Postby baffler15 » Mon Apr 18 2022, 00:40

Queestce wrote:I recall that CASA previously recognised that the ADF log hours differently to civil pilots (not chock-chock) and as such applied a dispensation that allowed military aircrew to add 0.1 hrs (I think) to each military sortie for the purposes of converting hours across for civil qualifications.

Looking through the CASR and MOS I can no longer find that tag line. It seems like perhaps it has been removed, as I found some record of that from 2020.

The 0.1 allowance for adjustment of ADF hours used to be specified in the CASA Flight Crew Licensing Manual, but if you look in the revision history of the current document it was removed a couple of years ago. Can't say for sure if it's been moved somewhere else in the regs though. I would recommend that you log all of your flying (including ADF) in a civilian logbook in accordance with the CASA regs on logging of flight time, in addition to your ADF one. This will keep your "total hours" accurate for when you go to apply for a civilian job. And also help to avoid any perceptions by some in the industry that the old 0.1 rule was a giving ADF pilots an [insert anti-ADF rhetoric here] over civilian pilots. Although I would also recommend that you perhaps try not giving a sh!t about the opinions of anonymous others at all.
Queestce
2nd Dan
2nd Dan

Postby Queestce » Fri Apr 22 2022, 08:44

Thanks for the assistance.

I guess most likely it has been removed, which makes my logbook calculations simpler I suppose...

:lol:

Return to “On the Job”